Irish Chasers

Today's trip could be up to a mile short of Cooldine's best over fences and I suspect a win will be seen by connections as a bonus.

What can be read, if anything, into the riding arrangements for the two Harrington runners?

2 miles 2 furlongs should be plenty far enough on Soft ground against that opposition if he is going to emerge as a Grade 1 class horse, indeed a sharp 2 miles on good ground with that opposition should be ample. The Spoonplayer probably sets the standard, he's no great shakes and there no sign of any unexposed improver.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how many want to get involved in the latter stages. Giving Cooldine a race over the wrong distance first time out might limit entry options for a while.

Bit like Missed That there!! Some rough jumping but when he got it right at a fence he jumped well. Likely to improve alot for that.

I thought he jumped ok. He attempted to synchronise his jumping with the horse in front a couple of times but jumped big enough to get away with it. I thought it was more a couple of novicey errors rather than Missed That who just didn't like the look of the fences. As you say, likely to improve, with Missed That you were just hoping he might.

Thought it was a pleasing effort against some nice animals. Second is decent. Winner is a very good long term prospect.

I thought Cooldine did it well..........only real jumping errors were in the straight, when he might have been getting a bit tired. Definitely a player.

Except for his maiden win, Powers Gold Cup run and Grade 2 win at the Punchestown festival.

Indeed, but of course the general point is that Missed That was a stayer in the making. A gold cup horse rather than a champion chaser if everything went well, but wasnt tried at a staying trip as a novice.

Hilarious observation nonetheless and point taken.

Last edited:
No comedy. Just pointing out a blatant misrepresentation of fact. Worth remembering that the stayer in the making won just the 2 Grade 1 novices over 17f. Remembering Best Mate and Kicking King as just 2 of late, a campaign at around 2m (which Missed That didn't even have) hardly proved a barrier to success over 3m+ out of novice company anyway.

Yes, I'm sure Kicking King and Best Mate were in connections minds. As they were in hte minds of Monet's Garden and Racing Demon in that years Arkle.

Are you suggesting that being kept to 2m as novices is the reason for the pair you mention failed to make a serious impact in open Grade 1's at 3m+?

No. Not at all. And putting novices into 3m chases targetting the Sun Alliance probably doesnt help their chances of becoming Gold Cup contenders.

They are hoping to get him ready in time for the beginners chase at Leopardstown over Christmas but is slow to come to hand again.

Back