ISIS...Islamic State Victims

Well I think that some are of that view to some extent but as I have said before over and over, there are some in the wider world who certainly believe that and more sinisterly, do not seem to want it contained.

that was the point of the post in the first place

Last edited:
What exactly would be 'the cost' of snuffing-out a death-cult like ISIS???

I'd happily pay a fecking Tax, if it went into directly funding a programme of extermination of these cu*nts.

So long as Islam exists then these cults will. It's not a great step from the general beliefs within mainstream Islam to violence. And I don't care if that is demonisation ..

when the leading Islamic scholar of supposed middling Muslims claims that the nazis were a "gift from god" and apostates should be murdered its not the biggest step to terrorism is it?

no one should believe it's ever more than a small minority but it doesn't take much when that evil is being peddled.

no mainstream religion comes within a million miles to these beliefs. That is a fact

Last edited:
I don't actually dispute that too much. It's the straw-men arguments that you build around it, that I generally have an issue with.

Oh and mustn't forget that said scholar was and is strongly promoted by ken livingstone even though he's banned in france, which bears out another point doesn't it?

I seriously doubt whether even scum like brand actually support isis, but if you do not want it stopped even when genocide is on the cards, where do you stand???

and I certainly know that livingstone doesn't support aq but when you promote a preacher with such disgusting views, what are you thinking?

So long as Islam exists then these cults will. It's not a great step from the general beliefs within mainstream Islam to violence. And I don't care if that is demonisation ..

when the leading Islamic scholar of supposed middling Muslims claims that the nazis were a "gift from god" and apostates should be murdered its not the biggest step to terrorism is it?

no one should believe it's ever more than a small minority but it doesn't take much when that evil is being peddled.

no mainstream religion comes within a million miles to these beliefs. That is a fact
Inclined to agree, except for the "small minority" part. I think support for jihad is bigger than just a small minority of the muslim community. (Polls and vox pop's taken after 9/11 and other terrorist acts show a frightening level of approval amongst the muslim rank-and-file).

I also genuinely believe that political leaders in Britain and the West have deep misgivings privately about Islam, but publicly put out the "Islam is a religion of Peace" line for the sake of societal cohesion.

Islam produces infinitely more extremists than other societies warbler. Im sure you accept that . Frankly you would struggle to find other societies producing "convert or die" scum wouldn't you?

trying to equate it with a handful of nutters in North Dakota is a bit whataboutism. It's not the point, not a threat and not relevant

I'd accept that Clive, but again it comes back to scale. This is important bordering on critical when assessing the impact of Iraq in particular.

Islam will produce extremists. Islam has always produced extremists. Islam will continue to produce extremists.

Right wing philosophy will do similar, but on nothing like the same scale (well actually the history books suggest otherwise, in fairness - but I'll confine this to North Dakota for now, which certainly isn't on anything remotely close to this outside the odd 'shoot up' in a cinema or similar).

I personally think there is a correlation between the power of religion to move people to a cause and the power of a political philosophy. Politics has a more intrinsic compromise about it, and politicians are surivalists, much more prone to doing deals in the name of defending their own position. It's why the Soviet leaning despots, none of whom were particularly Islamic, were a much easier grouping to deal with, than the more thoelogically driven conservative shiekdoms. They also had well resourced interior police forces who snuffed out radical islam, Iraq in particular.

This is why I keep saying we need to assess this as scale rather than simple existentialism

The extreme elements will always exist. It isn't good enough to therefore say "look at this, they're nutters, they'd have gone this way regardless". It's sounds like a plea for mitigation by those people who got their original judgement so badly wrong, and are now hoping they can cleanse their hands of it on the grounds it wouldn't have made any difference. Any existential argument has to legislate for the scale of the threat. 30,000 against 300, is a much bigger scale, in any language. A significant proportion of that 30,000 is as a direct result of our own failure, and the consequence is that we now face a threat which is becoming close to unmanageable and inspiring others groups to affiliate elsewhere in the world. North Africa obviously being the most frightening for geograhpic proximity. The simple fact is, doing a deal with Saddam, would have reduced this threat to zero. It would be wrong to perhaps say we're the complete 100% architects of this situation, but we've sure as hell written a lot chapters in the book

Last edited:
he would have snuffed it out but at what cost? He snuffed out anyone who raised the slightest dissent. Killing quarter of a million Kurds for instance. There is nothing to admire about it

You could snuff it out by nuking a few countries in the Middle East. Is any solution acceptable?

I think we probably need to establish that this Saddam admiration cult is actually the product of your imagination. I don't think there's a great deal to admire about Saddam, only that you were faced with a series of sub-optimal choices, none of which were particularly edifying. The decision to deal with Saddam would have been the correct strategic choice on all sorts of different levels though. Indeed, it was the decision that George H Bush took when he decided not to puruse him in Baghdad circa 1991. He'd also vetoed Democrat moves to impose sanctions on him in 1988, but I doubt you'd describe Bush (41) as an admirer would you? It was only Bush (43) who reversed this decision which such catastrophic consequences. Now we have to deal with a spreading threat of IS instead. Only a real moron (and I do count Bush (43) in that category) could think this has been result. He wouldn't have committed 250,000 troops in Iraq unecessarily either.

In terms of killing Kurds, you need to remember they were beligerents in war. I won't go so far as to call them fair game, but there are plenty of examples from history of exactly the same thing happening. Indeed, one particularly striking paralell occurs between France and Scotland with the signing of the 'auld alliance'. You had a restive group of people allied and supporting England's enemy, France. The Scots were required by treaty to attack the English were the English engaged in war with France. When the French and English signed the 'treaty of perpetual peace and friendship' the English turned on the Scots with devastating effect (luckily for Scotland Edward I ultimately died and was replaced by an incompetant). It's pretty well the same thing. The kurds were allied with Iran and actively supporting them. Can I ask you what you'd have done under these circumstances? and especially when you had weapons at your disposal to bring about a relatively painless (for you) solution, rather than undertaking a very high risk strategy of sending people into a mountainous border region to pacify a beligerent

I think you can argue that Saddam's use of chemical weapons was indiscriminate and undoubtedly killed plenty of non-combatant civilians. This is true, but then it's hardly unique in warfare. America's use of atom bombs over Japan wasn't that discriminating either, any more than any aerial bombardment normally is. War is messy, real people get killed unjustly. I'm afraid that's just the way it is. It's horrible

You can play body count numbers too. Since 2003 the IBC have been documenting incidents of civilian deaths resulting from American/ Coalition activity. It's not massively different to what Saddam accounted for once you average them out over time served

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

IBC totals are normally felt to under estimate the figure and lag the Iraq government accounts. IBC only confirms incidents through media reporting and is able to name 40% of all victims (that's quite impressive given how fractured the lines of reporting are) it seems reasonable to assume that there have been plenty of unreported deaths in more remote parts of the country. IBC also make no attempt to count indirect deaths. We can only guess at these, but it seems reasonable to assume that people have died as a result of sanctions and the unavailaibility of medical treatments or electricity etc Similarly, you could argue that ISIS deaths should also appear in IBC totals as they're pretty well the product of a post, non-Saddam intervention

Lets try and do a simple scoreboard based around ISIS and Saddam

brutal regimes killing civilians? (both tick yes)
threats to wider region (both tick yes, albeit I think Saddam could probably have dealt with in the name of pragmatism)
threats to the west (yes for ISIS, but yes for Saddam only if you believe a 45 min claim in a dodgy dossier)

I'm not sure what you obsession is with nuclear weapons all of a sudden Clive, as it's the second time you've mentioned them now with reference to their oblique use in the middle east in last 24 hours. I thought it only fair to arm you with another WMD alternative though which could be more effective and perhaps you can pedal that one instead.

It is possible to code germ warfare weapons to latch on to certain DNA or other biological signatures in a persons constitution (the 'technology' was developed in South Africa) where it was designed to attack people by ethnicity. Since then it's become more refined where by you can attack strands of DNA which are pertinent to tribes etc (in theory). I don't know if an Islamic fundamentalist gene has been discovered yet though!!! Perhaps you could code something that wouldn't attack if it recognises the existance of alcohol in the blood stream? That way the only way to defend yourself would be to get pissed and stay in a perpetual state of incapacity

Last edited:
That's a typically ignorant and arrogant comment. Isis could quite easily have come about with teh collapse of any of those states without the west being involved. Saddam was going to go eventually and it may well have been before now.

the ignorance is consistently blaming the Wests actions for every Islamic groups existence.

Clive, one supposed sign of intelligence is the ability to listen, or read. You seem incapable of reading to the extent it is worrying. I said a small part. Your final sentence makes it seem (since you quoted my post) that I seemed to blame the actions of ISIS, AQ etc on the West when I did no such thing.

I think you and the usual replies from Icebreaker would do well to read, and then read again, Grey's reply.

You seem to think West = Good, East = Bad. Whilst (thankfully) the West have no such demented aims as ISIS, it collectively has caused a lot more innocent deaths. I'd think about that if I were you before your next post.

Last edited:
I think he's just trying to sketch out a hypothetical scenario and convince himself of its legitimacy to mask the chronic misjudgement he's shown in this area since 2003. Just look at what he wrote...

"Isis could quite easily have come about with teh collapse of any of those states without the west being involved. Saddam was going to go eventually and it may well have been before now."

It's speculatively optimistic at best, and pure guesswork without any foundation whatsoever. In fact there is an evidence base to go on, but Clive wilfully ignores that as it doesn't suit his conclusion, albeit a few posts back he does conceed that Saddam would have clobbered ISIS, but raises the question as to whether it was a price worth paying. My own answer is Yes

Last edited:
Urm .... it's not working, got to try harder to goad him out of his lair. Perhaps peddling his little cotton socks off all round London instead

I think tiresome comments like that, accusations of demonising a fascist cult and the constant repeating of points that are very clear means its tine to take leave og this thread

he's grouchier than I am Warb..is that possible?...he'll be back

as an aside..are you watching .."inside the commons" tonight at 9.00 on beeb 2?

Last edited:
Urm .... it's not working, got to try harder to goad him out of his lair. Perhaps peddling his little cotton socks off all round London instead
I'm confused ...............
You mean he is peddling (selling) packs of cotton socks in markets stalls around London; or he is pedalling a bicycle around town in his cotton socks?
I think we should be told.

:lol:

I think it's the bike, but he's gone off now to plot his nuclear solution by the sounds of it

So to summarise

Clive was wrong about Iraq, and has been ever since he first offered views on it.

Saddam was certainly brutal, but had he been left in power he would have brutalised to the point near extinction what we now know as ISIS. You have to take your view as to who you prefer. Neither are particularly pleasent, but my own opinion is that I'd rather be dealing with Saddam

Islamic extremism would still have existed, but it would have been 'in its box' with a credible first line of defence keeping it in check. It would have released many more personnel and heavne knows how much money to operate in other theatres where the threat had geuine roots, and not imaginary ones like Iraq

The personal agendas of three leading western politicians have been allowed to overspill into policy with disasterous consequences for all of us

If Talking Horses were to ever form its own cyber cabinet, Clivex shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any portfolio that involves foreign policy or strategic judgement. In fact we could give him the Welsh Office!

Last edited:
Reports coming out they have released a video of the Jordanian pilot being burnt alive in a cage. I would skin alive every last single one of the fuckers before throwing them in a cage and setting them alight. May god have mercy on the poor guy's soul.

They had no interest in that c.unt. The pilot was already dead and they scored a PR disaster when Jordan said they would be willing to release the creature

Jordan are engaged. What do you think the pilot was doing there in the first place?

There has been a Jordanian presence in Al Qaeda in Iraq for ages. Indeed it was a Jordanian national (Al Zakhawi) who set up Al Qaeda in Iraq. He was released from prison for previous attempts to overthrow the Jordanian government as an act clemency. He duly crossed the border into Iraq with his band of brothers and set about organising an Islamic front that wasn't there previously. The Jordanian embassy was amongst his first targets. Indeed, it prompted Moron Bush (without any sense of irony) to say "There might not have been an Al Qaeda presence in Iraq before, but there sure as hell is now". I heard him say it, but a bit like when he called the 9/11 bombers "folks" its been airbrushed from the record

Whether they execute the woman bomber or not remains to be seen. I'm not so sure they will. I'm not sure that exchanging them was a bad thing anyway. A suicide bomber for a pilot was a good swap, it's not as if she was a bomb maker or anything. I'd be inclined to fit some tracking device to her and see where she goes before asking a hellfire missile to do the rest

Whether they execute the woman bomber or not remains to be seen. I'm not so sure they will.

Well I sure got that wrong. They didn't waste much time. Thought they might try for the high moral ground but an eye for eye etc.

Back