Jockey News

His ambition as a youngster was to earn enough money to show jump professionally; I wonder will he fill his time that way ?
More likely to work ride to keep his contacts.
Apparently Charlie Smirke spent five years in the wilderness after a horse refused to race one day in 1928 and Charlie accused of stopping him.
Came back to ride 1934 Derby winner and rode through until 1959, the ultimate big race jockey of his era.

His ambition as a youngster was to earn enough money to show jump professionally; I wonder will he fill his time that way ?
More likely to work ride to keep his contacts.
Apparently Charlie Smirke spent five years in the wilderness after a horse refused to race one day in 1928 and Charlie accused of stopping him.
Came back to ride 1934 Derby winner and rode through until 1959, the ultimate big race jockey of his era.

For some reason I thought the Smirke stopped horse was a pony, at something like Gatwick pony races, but maybe that's wrong. When you read his Derby record it's highly impressive.

Bad day for Murphy, who's a great talent. I hope he sorts himself out.
Headache for Balding who uses him when he can. He has a wonderful set of young jockeys but would imagine the more experienced Probert will come in for a lot of rides

Last edited:
D632734A-CD09-4459-A307-495A1B5D2D8D.jpeg
In case you were wondering what Oisin is currently up to.....

Actually heard a surprising rumour about him last week....or perhaps I am just behind the times?

You’ll have to pm me otherwise Col might get done for scurrilous gossip and libel......:ninja:

Her career looks to be in some difficulty -I think she has something like 8 winners in 2022.

Almost as a high a win% for the season as she has ever recorded (18% vs 19%). Only 7 winners shy of her winning most season at present.

Some saying about lies and statistics comes to mind?

Back