Jockey News

Really Grassy..typical reply when you know you're making a complete ass of yourself......Brian Hughes has got one of the best pair of hands in the business, is a brilliant judge of pace and is almost always in the right position at the right time.
That is why he is champion Jockey......best you go have a nap and stop posting shyte

Any jockey who cannot command a ride at the premier meeting of the season - or who chooses to forgo riding there in order to hoover-up winners at the gaff tracks - is a champion in name only, imo. Hughes is in his 17th season as a jockey. He has ridden in a little over 10,000 races, has accumulated a little over 1500 winners, and has over 100 winners in each of his last eight seasons. However, despite all of that, his career Grade 1 tally stands at two wins (in 2015 and 2018).

He is champion jockey because he gets the pick of the rides from the best yards in the North - and rarely ventures down South to have a go in a more competitive arena. It has fu*ck-all to do with his hands, his tactical nous, or the clock in his head. He farms low-level dross better than anyone else, and he puts the yards in - I'll concede that much - but he is strictly a Westlife champion; it's all about the numbers - don't expect any substance.

Last edited:
Surprised at the negativity towards Hughes. Surely his record speaks for itself?

So he's prepared to go and ride in my back garden if it gets him a winner. The fact that he's in such demand for diddy horses must mean something.

Is Mark Johnston a duff trainer because he chases winners everywhere and anywhere? Hannon?

What about Flat jockeys like De Sousa who tend not to ride G1 winners because they're out doing the hard graft?

Unfair, in my opinion.

I have said my piece re Hughes, DO.

And please bear in mind that my point was not that Hughes was sh*it - it's that he was over-rated.

In my view, Richard Johnson was a mediocre jockey for the last ten seasons of his career, but it didn't stop him becoming Champion. For me, there is more to rating the very best jockeys than sheer volume of numbers, but each to their own. I am happy for everyone to choose for themselves how they measure greatness, rather than tell them they're talking sh*ite or making a complete "ass" of themselves whilst they do so.

As you can imagine, I have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on Mark Johnston or any Flat jockey.

Last edited:
It should be a correct assumption that the top jockeys are those associated with the top yards. They are, after all, in business and in a position to get the best for their horses. It may be that the ability of the jockey is far less important than we think and that a reasonably competent jockey - particularly one who gives good feedback - is all that’s needed when a horse has been prepared to go. I’d hate to think that, though.

Last edited:
It may be that the ability of the jockey is far less important than we think and that a reasonably competent jockey - particularly one who gives good feedback - is all that’s needed when a horse has been prepared to go.

This is exactly what I think, barjon, and I don't see any real issue with it.

Brendan Bradley score 225 goals in his League of Ireland career, mostly playing for Finn Harps.
Wayne Rooney score 208 in the Premiership, playing for Everton and Man Utd.

Brendan was a fine player, silky goalscorer. But I still think in the context of where they plyed their trade makes Rooney a better footballer.

That's some false equivalence, reet hard.

For one, this is an online forum - not a place of work. And for two, I haven't ever threatened anyone, or acted like a mysoginist, dinosaur, bas*tard, in all my time here.

So, with that said, I haven't a clue what the fu*ck you're prattling on about. :thumbsup:
Love all this 'holier than though' tosh from all those who've never sworn in a work place. Behave, ffs.

I have said my piece re Hughes, DO.

And please bear in mind that my point was not that Hughes was sh*it - it's that he was over-rated.

In my view, Richard Johnson was a mediocre jockey for the last ten seasons of his career, didn't it didn't stop him becoming Champion. For me, there is more to rating the very best jockeys than sheer volume of numbers, but each to their own. I am happy for everyone to choose for themselves how they measure greatness, rather than tell them they're talking sh*ite or making a complete "ass" of themselves whilst they do so.

As you can imagine, I have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on Mark Johnston or any Flat jockey.[/QUOTE ]

Points accepted, GH.

I've been targeted on here for my opinion of Richard Johnson but stand by that opinion, which is the same as yours (other than maybe never really rating him).

I haven't rated Ryan Moore for a long time. He was good when he was coming through the ranks - and hungry - but since he got the Coolmore gig he doesn't seem too bothered until he's on a Coolmore trier.

Love all this 'holier than though' tosh from all those who've never sworn in a work place. Behave, ffs.

More horse-sh*it.

Dunne isn’t charged with swearing in the workplace, is he? He’s charged with intimidation and bullying of a colleague.

For the record, anyone in my workplace directing such language at a female collague, would face immediate disciplinary action and suspension. Once it was established that this was in fact a pattern, they would lose their job - fact. The same will apply across many other industries. It’s only in the archaic netherworld of racing, that 10-month suspension is seen as suitable punishment.

I’ll frankly ignore your bizzare and distasteful suggestion, that my conduct here places me in a similar bracket to Dunne.

Brendan Bradley score 225 goals in his League of Ireland career, mostly playing for Finn Harps.
Wayne Rooney score 208 in the Premiership, playing for Everton and Man Utd.

Brendan was a fine player, silky goalscorer. But I still think in the context of where they plyed their trade makes Rooney a better footballer.

But Charlton was out of this world compared to Rooney and it makes me really cross when the two records are compared. Totally different times, totally different rules of the game and the way the game was played, less games back then to play in as two European competition for clubs and if you didn't win trophy at home, you didn't play in Europe. Charlton ten times the player Rooney ever was.

It should be a correct assumption that the top jockeys are those associated with the top yards. They are, after all, in business and in a position to get the best for their horses. It may be that the ability of the jockey is far less important than we think and that a reasonably competent jockey - particularly one who gives good feedback - is all that’s needed when a horse has been prepared to go. I’d hate to think that, though.

Well sometimes. STD wouldn't have a job if he wasn't STD and would never have got the Ditcheat job if his surname had been Smith. DS would never have a job if his brother didn't train, and would have nowhere near as many winners as he does if his brother didn't have so many horses.
Hughes is very good post race- from personal experience and friends who have used him.
Russell ditto and he is very tactically aware.
Sheehan went greatly down in my estimation over the case and having met him had liked him a lot, but using a race to make a point is not on, and he was out of order in his comments.
I think Bryony is a fabulous horseperson, I wouldn't worry if she was a on horse of mine/one I fancied. Francome was majestic as a horseman and a great jockey. McCoy was a great jockey, not so much a horseman.
Johnson I agree was overrated. Maybe connections did him a favour in early career.
Jacob a good horseman I think too. As was Aspell, perhaps not a great jockey.
Geraghty I loved in all ways.
Walsh I didn't trust- not that he was a bad jockey but just always thought something could go wrong. He was extremely lucky to have some fabulous horses to ride in his career. Years before he retired someone in racing told me had had lost his nerve and was struggling. Lot of high profile falls around that time, but he couldn't afford to give up. ( Issues off course apparently)
I don't rate Cobden and wonder if he's another one that Nicholls get them young boss them around line?
I initially didn't like De Bonville but not really sure why but have warmed to him last couple of years, think he's a tremendous horseman and this may make up for the 'bit' he lacks perhaps as a jockey, but that doesn't stop him being very good.
Different jocks for different horses definitely I really think applies.

Young and up coming I would nominate Caollin Quinn from Warren Greatrex' yard. Really nice lad, grafter, very good hands. Maybe needs to build up his upper body strength but that can come. Been very patient and deserves a proper go.

Also hope Conor O'Farrell gets some wider support as very dear to my heart as he looked after my BBB absolutely to the nth degree, and deserves all success after having had to put with me.

More horse-sh*it.

Dunne isn’t charged with swearing in the workplace, is he? He’s charged with intimidation and bullying of a colleague.

For the record, anyone in my workplace directing such language at a female collague, would face immediate disciplinary action and suspension. Once it was established that this was in fact a pattern, they would lose their job - fact. The same will apply across many other industries. It’s only in the archaic netherworld of racing, that 10-month suspension is seen as suitable punishment.

I’ll frankly ignore your bizzare and distasteful suggestion, that my conduct here places me in a similar bracket to Dunne.
Spare me the sanctimony. Dunne lost his temper in a workplace is all,and it happens in many - every day - all over the world, and is dealt without hue and cry, and it's been overblown by such attitudes as yours.
The ship has now been righted - end of.

Last edited:
Spare me the sanctimony. Dunne lost his temper in a workplace is all,and it happens in many - every day - all over the world, and is dealt without hue and cry, and it's been overblown by such attitudes as yours.

As I said before, this wasn’t just about a heat of the moment losing your temper job, but a continuing abusive campaign against Frost by Dunne. I’d be amazed if you thought that was ok if it had been your daughter on the receiving end.

It is not sanctimony - it is fact.

If Dunne had lost his temper once, it would perhaps be forgivable, but it has been proven that there has been a campaign of bullying and intimidation over many months. As I said, in any other industry, this would result in the perpetrator losing his job.

The situation has not been overblown by me or anyone else. It is a straightforward comparison with what happens in the real world and what happens in racing; where - sadly - archaic attitudes such as yours a seem to prevail more often than not. So do me a favour - don't attempt to 'normalise' this, because it betrays a complete ignorance of what happens outside of little racing's bubble.

Finally, it's also worth pointing out that Dunne is still suspended for 10 months........which doesn't really fit with your idiotic "nothing to see here" argument.

Last edited:
Well sometimes. STD wouldn't have a job if he wasn't STD and would never have got the Ditcheat job if his surname had been Smith. DS would never have a job if his brother didn't train, and would have nowhere near as many winners as he does if his brother didn't have so many horses.
Hughes is very good post race- from personal experience and friends who have used him.
Russell ditto and he is very tactically aware.
Sheehan went greatly down in my estimation over the case and having met him had liked him a lot, but using a race to make a point is not on, and he was out of order in his comments.
I think Bryony is a fabulous horseperson, I wouldn't worry if she was a on horse of mine/one I fancied. Francome was majestic as a horseman and a great jockey. McCoy was a great jockey, not so much a horseman.
Johnson I agree was overrated. Maybe connections did him a favour in early career.
Jacob a good horseman I think too. As was Aspell, perhaps not a great jockey.
Geraghty I loved in all ways.
Walsh I didn't trust- not that he was a bad jockey but just always thought something could go wrong. He was extremely lucky to have some fabulous horses to ride in his career. Years before he retired someone in racing told me had had lost his nerve and was struggling. Lot of high profile falls around that time, but he couldn't afford to give up. ( Issues off course apparently)
I don't rate Cobden and wonder if he's another one that Nicholls get them young boss them around line?
I initially didn't like De Bonville but not really sure why but have warmed to him last couple of years, think he's a tremendous horseman and this may make up for the 'bit' he lacks perhaps as a jockey, but that doesn't stop him being very good.
Different jocks for different horses definitely I really think applies.

Young and up coming I would nominate Caollin Quinn from Warren Greatrex' yard. Really nice lad, grafter, very good hands. Maybe needs to build up his upper body strength but that can come. Been very patient and deserves a proper go.

Also hope Conor O'Farrell gets some wider support as very dear to my heart as he looked after my BBB absolutely to the nth degree, and deserves all success after having had to put with me.

It's shocking for me to say but I think Sam Twiston Davies is a miles better jockey than when riding for Nicholls and one of the best in the UK at the moment. Never thought I'd think that.

It's shocking for me to say but I think Sam Twiston Davies is a miles better jockey than when riding for Nicholls and one of the best in the UK at the moment. Never thought I'd think that.

Perhaps not so shocking. When I try to think of jockeys bringing in horses that have no business winning the race he keeps springing to mind unbidden. Similarly he doesn’t seem to feature much in the catalogue of those who lost but shouldn’t have.

Yes, I almost subconsciously note what STD rides as I think he is a quiet job jockey. I think certain trainers like to use him when they've lined one up. I have no strong opinion on his ability as a jockey but it looks to me like those trainers are keen to have him onside when it matters.

STD is in that middle-tier (imo), but I admit that if he's good enough for Dr Newland to put up regularly, that's generally good enough for me.

STD is in that middle-tier (imo), but I admit that if he's good enough for Dr Newland to put up regularly, that's generally good enough for me.

Yeah. Not many top tier jockeys plying their trade in the UK. Fewer in Ireland than a decade ago also.

Someone who wasnt quite in the top tier 10-15 years ago would be viewed as an all time great if riding now - a Mick Fitz or Choc Thornton.

Last edited:
It is not sanctimony - it is fact.

If Dunne had lost his temper once, it would perhaps be forgivable, but it has been proven that there has been a campaign of bullying and intimidation over many months. As I said, in any other industry, this would result in the perpetrator losing his job.

The situation has not been overblown by me or anyone else. It is a straightforward comparison with what happens in the real world and what happens in racing; where - sadly - archaic attitudes such as yours a seem to prevail more often than not. So do me a favour - don't attempt to 'normalise' this, because it betrays a complete ignorance of what happens outside of little racing's bubble.

Finally, it's also worth pointing out that Dunne is still suspended for 10 months........which doesn't really fit with your idiotic "nothing to see here" argument.

So, now you've gone all supercilious on me. In your workplace, do you try tear everyone to bits who doesn't agree with you?

Any jockey who cannot command a ride at the premier meeting of the season - or who chooses to forgo riding there in order to hoover-up winners at the gaff tracks - is a champion in name only, imo. Hughes is in his 17th season as a jockey. He has ridden in a little over 10,000 races, has accumulated a little over 1500 winners, and has over 100 winners in each of his last eight seasons. However, despite all of that, his career Grade 1 tally stands at two wins (in 2015 and 2018).

He is champion jockey because he gets the pick of the rides from the best yards in the North - and rarely ventures down South to have a go in a more competitive arena. It has fu*ck-all to do with his hands, his tactical nous, or the clock in his head. He farms low-level dross better than anyone else, and he puts the yards in - I'll concede that much - but he is strictly a Westlife champion; it's all about the numbers - don't expect any substance.

I have never come across so much garbage in one post. You ever spoke like that in front of a jockey or a trainer you'd be laughed at, ignored or told to fckk off out if it. You are clueless mate best stick to what you know like how many grade ones HF won

Back