Jockey News

If that was Kieron Fallon back in the day they'd want him castrated for that!

Last edited:
2 months but still allowed to ride in the Arc - WTF! Ban meaningless, season over once Sunday's Longchamp meeting is over.

I've watched the incident a few times now.

Both Rossa Ryan (for escaping serious injury at best) and Soumi (for escaping a much harsher 'sentence' and maybe having a dire outcome for Rossa on his conscience for the rest of his life) are very lucky boys.

It really did look horrible but I have to say I think maybe Soumi just caught Rossa slightly off balance and I don't believe there was genuine malice in the manoeuvre. Rossa was trying to pin Soumi in and the latter was trying to counter it. He got away with it at Ascot and has probably done it in other races.

Hopefully he'll realise the possibility of dire consequences for Rossa and, along with the ban, will think twice about doing it again.

Last edited:
Neil Callan just rode a finish a 'circuit':D too early in a flat race at Kempton

Understandable when it's a 3 and a half miler round Fakenham or Plumpton but Kempton ffs

Obviously fancied a holiday:D

Kevin Manning retires after 40 years starvation.
He is an unbelievably polite man whose success never really changed him.
Maybe not the most stylish, never one to use the whip in the "Protestant " hand but gave his all every ride.
The few times he rode one I was involved with he always gave a complete report, was polite and thankful for the ride, even on a 50 something rated iunplaced yoke having it's first handicap run.
Wishing him all the best and hope to share a flagon of cider with him sometime ! ( Not that I drink it )

Just watched Paddy Brennan winning the first at Cheltenham....absolutely awful to see how much he was banging down on the horses kidneys.....is it me or are they all starting to do it now? How is it good for the horse?

I assume you are referring to posting or was we say in scotland banging your ass down on a horse's back.:lol:

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned Jinny there's a lot of meat/natutal cusion/spine and ribs between the jockey and a horse's kidneys.

Paddy's been ridng a finsih like that for years and if you watch closely most jockeys do over jumps.

Last edited:
That’s not to say it’s helping the horse in any way at all. As a former trainer, lifelong equestrian and also vets daughter, I feel it is NOT a positive way of riding.

In showjumping yards, they used to leave horses tied up all day to “develop” their neck and back muscles. They also put items such as hedgehog skins under front boots so when horses rapped a pole, they learnt to. In dressage, they employed a technique called Rollkur to “improve” a horses arched neck.

Just because it has become the norm, It doesn’t make it right!

A horses kidneys are actually pretty close under the spine....oh and another thing.....kissing spines seem to becoming a regular injury....co-incidence?

I bow to your superior knowledge Jinny..I have come across kissing spines in my past but wasn't knowledgable to know the reason for it. I was limited to ridng them.

Apart from anything else it looks so bloody awful. Like watching Swan Lake with the ballerinas wearing hobnailed boots.

Back