Jockey News

Noel Fehily given a 12-day ban for taking the wrong course yesterday at Uttoxeter :(. It seems that even an excellent, highly-experienced senior jockey like Noel can sometimes be incapable of steering to the right round a marker.

Luckily for him the ban starts the day after he is due to ride Rock On Ruby at Punchestown and thereafter there aren't too many NH races of much significance as regards status, just loss of earnings for rides, didn't realise they get £157 approx for each ride though.

Ensuring you familiarise yourself with the course is hardly a novel idea - it's not hard to do and knowing the course for each of your rides is the bare minimum requirement.

Last edited:
Irish, I'm well aware of that but it hardly implies a lack of intelligence, more a lack of concentration. If anyone said they had never made a mistake at work, I'd question them. Many jockeys have made this sort of error and they've rightly received bans for it. I'd question an individual's intelligence if they persist in making the same sort of mistake but not if they make it once.

Fair enough Muttley - I've met plenty of highly intelligent jockeys, most of whom are amateur riders and as such have other careers/careers planned. Would ask though does your criteria stretch to the fair few jockeys who regularly break the same whip rules over and over?

A P will unfortunately miss Punchestown next week as he remains in hospital for a second night, have heard UNOFFICIALLY he has broken ribs.

Last edited:
JT McNamara has arrived at The National Spinal Unit, Mater Hospital, Dublin from Frenchay Hospital, Bristol.

Timmy Murphy broke his hand on Saturday at Ayr. The fall looked quite nasty so could have been a lot worse I guess

Glos Echo

Tony McCoy is expected to be released from hospital today after his Cheltenham Racecourse fall.The 28-year-old Irishman has been in Gloucestershire Royal Hospital since his fall at Prestbury Park last week.He suffered broken ribs in a heavy spill from the Nicky Henderson-trained Quantitativeeasing on Thursday.As a result he will miss the Punchestown Festival.No firm date has been set for his return to the saddle.

Issuing a statement on behalf of the champion jockey, in which he expressed his gratitude for the care he has received, McCoy's personal assistant Gee Bradburne said: "AP remains in Gloucestershire Hospital following his fall at Cheltenham last week.He is progressing well and expects to go home tomorrow evening once he has seen his consultant. He could have come home last Friday but the consultant felt that the extra care AP could have by staying in the hospital would contribute to a quicker recovery.No date has yet has been set for his return but AP says once he feels 100 per cent he will speak to Dr Turner (chief medical advisor to the British Horseracing Authority) and take it from there.On behalf of himself and his colleagues AP would like to express how grateful they all are for the excellent medical care that is on hand at the racecourses, it is very much appreciated."

Last edited:
From RP

Jockey Graham Gibbons was arrested at Wolverhampton racecourse on Monday.

The rider was taken into custody over a non-racing related matter after riding a double at the track.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "A 31-year-old man has been arrested by West Midlands Police on behalf of North Yorkshire Police."

Kate Hills, communications director for Wolverhampton's owner Arc, said: "I can confirm the police attended Wolverhampton and asked to speak to Graham Gibbons.

"We understand it is not related to racing."

Update

Graham Gibbons was arrested at Wolverhampton racecourse today after failing to answer a drunk and disorderly charge in court last week.

Last edited:
From RP

Jockey Graham Gibbons was arrested at Wolverhampton racecourse on Monday.

The rider was taken into custody over a non-racing related matter after riding a double at the track.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "A 31-year-old man has been arrested by West Midlands Police on behalf of North Yorkshire Police."

Kate Hills, communications director for Wolverhampton's owner Arc, said: "I can confirm the police attended Wolverhampton and asked to speak to Graham Gibbons.

"We understand it is not related to racing."

Update

Graham Gibbons was arrested at Wolverhampton racecourse today after failing to answer a drunk and disorderly charge in court last week.

Gibbons was fined £960 on the bail charge and was ordered to pay a further £85 in costs and £96 victim surcharge. No further penalty was listed for the drunk and disorderly charge.

Gibbons was fined £960 on the bail charge and was ordered to pay a further £85 in costs and £96 victim surcharge. No further penalty was listed for the drunk and disorderly charge.

I know that a lot of jokes are made about jockeys being thick - but Mr Gibbons evidently is one of the dimmest .

I know let's skip bail and tell the police where I can be found in the racing pages of the newspapers :rolleyes:

Back