Juddmonte International

i cant believe you can get 3/1 Byword after Dick Turpin being supplemented. . Either way its a good renewal, it would have been a vintage renewal had Harbinger stayed sound.

Byword

I think he has the best form this year ,
in the Ispahan showed he is top class and in the Prince Of Wales, he won easily for me.

Rip Van Wikle could be a danger if in the form of the Eclipse last season but he has not shown anything near to that this season.

It's an interesting move from the connections of Dick Turpin. Do you get the feeling they reckon they won't beat Canford next season so they have to make him into a 10f horse to give him more options? They managed to make Paco into a miler when most thought they were mad. I'd be more hopeful of Dick Turpin staying 10f than most. Maybe not this season but def next. I reckon this is an exploratory mission before the ground turns softer later in the season. It certainly adds some extra flavour to an already tasty renewal.

It certainly does but even if you are certain he stays you can still find a couple to get him beat.

I was actually a bit disappointed with him as I thought he would really stamp his class on the race but in truth he was probably a little lucky to beat Twice Over with Tazeez and Stimulation both within a couple of lengths in third and fourth respectively.

That was exactly my reading of the race. I think people are getting slightly carried away with the horse because of the trainer.

He looked in control of the Prince of Wales from a long way out I thought. Granted the bare form of that race is buttons, but it is Tazeez and Stimulation that are potentially flattered by it, not Byword. I think he'll beat Twice Over again.

I couldn't be sure he'll beat Rip Van Winkle if last year's version turns up, but he'd beat the one that ran at Goodwood and Ascot.

Even based on Rip's last run and Byword's Prince of Wales? Surely there's little in it but with the hope Rip should come on for the run in the Sussex - how do Timeform go for the respective horses in these races? I would have thought Tazeez and Stimulation would have meant Rip possibly had the higher rating of the two in their last respective races..

Anyway, I could well be wrong ... I spent a considerable portion of the Prince of Wales watching Cavalryman running what seemed like backwards ..:D

Timeform have Rip Van Winkle rated 132 for this year's Sussex, Byword a bare figure of 125 (master rating 128).

Last edited:
It seems i'm not alone in my admiration for Byword. I was hoping DT's inclusion would push him out even further... I thought he would drift but it seems half of this board is going to back him!!!

I thought his performance against Goldikova was top class and I thought he won the POW quite easily. Queally was at Twice over a lot earlier than Guyon and he was just kept up to his work to see off Twice over.

Rip is a lot different proposition than Twice Over.

Also, wouldn't you say he was slightly flattered by his run behind Goldikova, where she patently doesn't stay far over a mile and it was more of a case of her dropping back? She actually won the race a furlong or two out very easily..

Also, wouldn't you say he was slightly flattered by his run behind Goldikova, where she patently doesn't stay far over a mile and it was more of a case of her dropping back? She actually won the race a furlong or two out very easily..

And it was her first run back..

I really cant have it that Rip Van Winkle will come on for the run LTO. If Denman can win a Hennessey off top weight FTO than surely Rip Van Winkle was pitch perfect at Goodwood.

I really cant have it that Rip Van Winkle will come on for the run LTO. If Denman can win a Hennessey off top weight FTO than surely Rip Van Winkle was pitch perfect at Goodwood.

Fame And Glory couldn't beat She's Our Mark first time out. Wherever Rip Van Winkle runs next - I am certain his trainer will not be talking about him improving for the run has he has been over his last two outings.

What has Denman got to do with Rip Van Winkle?

They were very keen to talk down his fitness pre-race, and had been at pains to suggest will be at a peak later this season. He's definitely better than the Sussex Stakes.

I'd say his run against Goldikova was exactly what you'd expect from a classy 10f performer - Tapped for toe 2f from home and was gaining all the way to the line - Haven't got access to the RP but how many runs had he had prior to that?

I just like the horse and his attitude and think there's plenty left in the tank. I expect him to beat Twice Over for sure. I'd imagine Guyon will track Rip and not give him to much rope.

He's had 8 career starts thus far Aragorn.

Started in June 2009 with a Maissons-Lafitte Maiden race at a mile. The only defeats came in last years Prix Guillaume D'Ornano (10f, G2 run this Sunday), the Prix Du Prince D'Orange (10f, G3) at Longchamp over 10f last September and in the D'Ispahan.

Martin

Owner John Manley believes Dick Turpin's relaxed demeanour will help him last out the extended mile and a quarter of the Juddmonte International at York on Tuesday.
Manley stumped up £50,000 to add the classy miler to the Group One field at Wednesday's confirmation stage.
And he feels it will be money well spent as he will make a profit as long as the Richard Hannon-trained colt, second in the English and French 2000 Guineas and winner of the Prix Jean Prat, finishes in the first three.
"I gave it some thought and I was encouraged by Richard Hughes in my decision to supplement him," Manley told At The Races.
"I went through everything and it appeared to me that the if he got placed I'd get my money back.
"If he was in the first three I'd make a profit and if we are fourth I'd lose fractionally. It's a bit like having an each-way bet at 3-1.
"I'm confident he'll stay because both Richard Hannon and Richard Hughes are fairly convinced he will, though his pedigree doesn't suggest that.
"That prompted me, along with his impressive run at Chantilly also, that we should have a crack at it. He's so relaxed at the races and is a real professional horse.
"I think there is always this, may I say it, hype with the Coolmore horses. Rip Van Winkle is, of course, a superb racehorse and deserves to be favourite.
"Interestingly enough Richard Hughes said to me the other day that he thought Canford Cliffs had a harder race against Dick Turpin in the St James's Palace than he did against Rip Van Winkle in the Sussex Stakes.
"Everybody has given me encouragement, that's the reason I've ducked out of France.
"All his two-year-old races were on soft ground. I think he's a few pounds better horse on the soft. That said he's also acted on good and good to firm ground, so he will take his chance on that."

Not sure how he made his money, but it certainly wasn't through gambling!

Not exactly a 3/1 each way bet, is it? :D

You've got to applaud an owner taking a punt like this, even with some pretty sound reasoning behind the decision. I hope the horse does place for him - even better if he wins, of course, but it'd be good to see him be rewarded for his outlay.

Agree about the owner - sounds like someone who racing would benefit for him having more success.

Back