July Cup

I think theres more here than the fav to worry about tbh..I would fancy AC and JJ jet plane more than the fav tbh

its no gimme thats for sure..no easy CV fattener for PB...

I don't think PB will get placed personally..its only a week ago that Hannon stated if the ground was fast at Newmarket he wouldn't dream of running him..by Friday its likely to be fast...looks like the owners are calling the shots with this.

thats a fair one..but look at the state of the July Cup he won:blink:

thats one anyway..even though fridays race looks slightly better than SS's july cup:rolleyes:

The third came out and won the Nunthorpe. An uncommonly shocking standard of opposition :rolleyes:

nunthorpe is over 5 though isn't it?

it weren't a great July Cup..Fridays ain't an old fashioned decent one either..but its got some above average animals in it

what type of training have they been giving PB to get him to stay 8f?..is that going to be a decent prep for what he will face on Friday is the question.

Yes, clearly form from the July Cup and the Nunthorpe are completely incomparable. How silly of me :rolleyes:

The reason they have been running over a mile is because a miler is far more fashionable as a breeding stallion.

I do not think 6 furlongs will be in the least troublesome for him, and think he has a fine chance.

Paco Boy's best form, for me at least, is still over 7f (i.e. his Foret). Given the dearth of Group 1's over 7f, how can connections be criticised for running him in the 6f and 8f Group 1s that are available?

What's he supposed to do, just run in all the 7f Group 2s he won last year, only this time with a penalty?

Good point - the 7f course at Longchamp is actually shorter than advertised; I measured it to around 6.75f on Google Earth a couple of years back. And isn't it vaguely downhill to boot?

marchand d´or won july cup, and so many of his wins had been over 7f before, and paco boy will win too, if ground is right! perfect race for him!

Last edited:
Probably to do with Hannon issuing a warning that they'll pull him if the ground gets faster.

I think Kings Apostle is a massive price here, has the best draw and running in his optimum conditions. He can throw in the odd bad run but hopefully that was last time and 25's is huge.

Paco Boy's best form, for me at least, is still over 7f (i.e. his Foret). Given the dearth of Group 1's over 7f, how can connections be criticised for running him in the 6f and 8f Group 1s that are available?

What's he supposed to do, just run in all the 7f Group 2s he won last year, only this time with a penalty?

run over a mile?

conservative equals common sense in this case..as it does in most of these obvious "chancing" exercises with horses running at distances designed to enhance their CV's

I didn't see anything "exciting" about watching Conduit struggle on two occasions to win at 10f..if it was exciting then its an odd sort of it

I applaud them for going up in distance..it made sense..more opportunities..this decision is just daft imo.

its their horses anyway...still struggling to see how its exciting though

Back