July Meeting, Newmarket

Also on Yalta here, bit concerned they have watered overnight. Do you ever get the impression they don't want anyone to know the best part of the track to race on or what the going is? :blink:

Lumiere is 7lbs clear on ORs before taking her 5lbs allowance into consideration. She’s 7lbs clear on RPRs and 19lbs clear on Topspeed’s time figures. But has she trained on? She certainly bombed in the Guineas and bypassed Ascot so clearly something has been amiss but she still holds G1 and G2 entries. She was 4/1 in places on Wednesday evening, a price at which I’d be happy to pay money to find out if she’s as good as the regard in which she is held.

I was thinking she might have missed Ascot because of the ground. My worry with her is the trip today, I'd steam in if this was over 7f.

I've laid Lumiere for a place on Betfair. I think she's considerably more likely to bomb out than place today, especially at this trip.

And I've done the same with Exosphere. I don't believe in his Jockey Club form, he has a penalty, he ran badly last time out and Muntazah, The Grey Gatsby and Elite Army are all capable of finishing ahead of him.

74/1 on Betfair at the moment. She must have lost a leg.

Nah.. I reckon its because of the competitiveness of the handicap, Gus.
Don't let the price put you off, its even more of an each bet now.
I still think she'll be nearer first than last.

Last edited:
I do see where you guys are going with Priceless in the 3.45. Definitely could be way better than it's rating.

Another in the race that could be significantly better than it's current rating is amomentofmadness. Won over 6f last year with winners behind in it's maiden win. Campaigned over 5f this year and doing just enough to get its head in front each time, looked a little green still and doing all the work last furlong. No surprise to see stepped up in trip and I think should be hitting the frame late on - note fast starting stable mate drawn not far and expect it to track that one through.

2pts each way.

Fancy Lumiere to do the business.

I wonder if there's a big tip in the changing room for TGG. Frankie seems to think it will win and he's taken over at the head of the market from Exosphere.

Possibly a serious negative for Exosphere -I can see TGG travelling well and going a short price in running before getting chinned.

Will be interesting to see if James McDonald can do the business on Big Orange-between him and Muntazah in my opinion.

My view on tomorrow.
Usherette looks nailed on to win to my eyes, but not a price Ill personally be backing at.
I'm still hopeful Bathos will get a place in 4:45, I would like to see some market support in the betting.

The best bet tomorrow is at York, (televised by channel 4 at 2:55), BROTHER TIGER.
Brother Tiger ran well when 9th in the Stewards Cup last season...that's about all we've seen of him on grass, but it suggest that connections think he can win at some point on turf........You don't run horses like him in the Stewards Cup if they've got no potential. Looks as if the handicapper has finally got a grip of him on 92 after a win or two on the all weather, but he's a unknown quantity on the green stuff. This one will be go well tomorrow from the front, he likes to lead.

Last edited:
Usherette looks a class act -possibly world class but it's only a horse race and things can go wrong -Amazing Maria had a nice reintroduction on Guinea's weekend followed by a social run at Newmarket.I will be looking to make money out of her tomorrow unless it rains -the betting without and place markets might be the way to go and a few quid in the win market just in case.

Usherette looks a class act -possibly world class but it's only a horse race and things can go wrong -Amazing Maria had a nice reintroduction on Guinea's weekend followed by a social run at Newmarket.I will be looking to make money out of her tomorrow unless it rains -the betting without and place markets might be the way to go and a few quid in the win market just in case.

I reckon the way to make money is to wait and see if you can get a price your happy with on the favourite.
I don't buy the 'its only a horse race' argument to oppose him, Luke.
The left field bet is to look at winning distance betting!

Last edited:
Lumiere is 7lbs clear on ORs before taking her 5lbs allowance into consideration. She’s 7lbs clear on RPRs and 19lbs clear on Topspeed’s time figures. But has she trained on? She certainly bombed in the Guineas and bypassed Ascot so clearly something has been amiss but she still holds G1 and G2 entries. She was 4/1 in places on Wednesday evening, a price at which I’d be happy to pay money to find out if she’s as good as the regard in which she is held.

That'll do nicely...

Thanks to the guys putting priceless up, despite not winning covered my bet with a bit to spare on my rubbish pick.

Then Lumiere happened and I'm looking good. Was backing it but went back in when I read your take DO so thank you very much.

My one wish in life is that I outlive Jamie Spencer so that one day I can **** on his grave. He has cost me thousands over the years.

18 declared for the July cup including 2014 Derby 4th Arod :blink:

My one wish in life is that I outlive Jamie Spencer so that one day I can **** on his grave. He has cost me thousands over the years.
Thats your fault :whistle:
since the hawk wing ride in the guineas, he is one to avoid like a plague, what a waste of Talent

I wouldn't blame him for TGG today-the winner got an exceptional ride today but what was Spencer supposed to do against confirmed stayers like the winner and Second Step-he wasn't exactly making ground hand over fist at the end.

I wouldn't blame him for TGG today-the winner got an exceptional ride today but what was Spencer supposed to do against confirmed stayers like the winner and Second Step-he wasn't exactly making ground hand over fist at the end.

Of course he wasn't, he used the horse's energy up getting on terms. It wasn't as breathtakingly bad as some of his rides but jesus, just one time I'd like a bit of help from the saddle. He was on the best horse in the race and was beaten by a boat who had first run. Not good enough.

Back