July Meeting, Newmarket

Take that to its logical conclusion and none of us could ever criticise a ride by a jockey.

Slating jocks seems to be the norm. Punters are terrible for it. Not every losing ride is a bad ride.

I get more annoyed (Spencer aside) with trainers than jockeys. Like today NR galore at Newmarket. What the **** did these arseholes think the ground was gonna be like.

Gosden was quoted after the Chesham to the effect that they'd allow Cunco to stride on next time out and on that basis I think he's an excellent price for the Superlative this afternoon at around 9/2.

Being ponied to start and ridden prominently-will be interesting to see what the market makes of that -pre race and in running.

This test simply isn't stiff enough for Limato imo fast ground or not, Twilight son for me

This test simply isn't stiff enough for Limato imo fast ground or not, Twilight son for me
Couldn't be more wrong
That was smooth as silk, Very impressive.

Last edited:
Slating jocks seems to be the norm. Punters are terrible for it. Not every losing ride is a bad ride.

Nor every winning ride a good ride.

I don't agree that "slating jocks seems to be the norm" - not on here, anyway. But if someone sees a ride he thinks deserves criticism - or praise - isn't he entitled to say so?

Nor every winning ride a good ride.

I don't agree that "slating jocks seems to be the norm" - not on here, anyway. But if someone sees a ride he thinks deserves criticism - or praise - isn't he entitled to say so?

That depends how well-informed the criticism is, and (imo) yours was off-beam this time - along with any number of other worthies.

Some very interesting time performances over the three days at Newmarket.

Alice Springs and Lumiere take pride of place. Track records don't always mean that much but the winning time in the Falmouth was in fact outstanding and represents a big step forward on what Alice Springs had previously achieved. The time comes out on my calculations at 124, ahead of the 123 Minding rating in the Guineas. From post-race comments, it sounds like the winner will be kept in future to races against her own sex but Johnston tends to favour a more attacking policy and it will be interesting to see what he does with Lumiere. She simply trotted up and the visual impression was confirmed by the time rating. The way she settled and travelled was quite something - my place lay looked ridiculous from a long way out! - and her 122 figure plus the 3lb sex allowance would put her only a pound behind Galileo Gold on my figures, should she take him on.

Best figure by a juvenile all week was Mehmas (119) on Thursday. Easy Victory's 95 was very respectable given the, er, ease of her victory.

My figure for Roly Poly on Friday is 106 which would be a bit below the form figure for the race.

Boynton (115) and War Decree (114) drew well clear of a decent field in the Superlative. Cunco disappointed in fourth and probably ran below his Chesham form. Two others who drew well clear were Dabyah and Amabilis in the fillies' maiden and their time ratings were excellent for fillies making their debut, 108 and 107 respectively.

My figure for Limato was 121. He's very smart but we already knew that.

Limato rates better than the bare result given how much extra ground he covered. Rivals Postponed as the best horse in training.

Sticking my head above the parapet, I thought Jamie Spencer rode an impeccable and uncomplicated race on Deauville to win a Grade 1 event at Belmont last night.

Limato rates better than the bare result given how much extra ground he covered. Rivals Postponed as the best horse in training.

Would you be a backer of the horse if he ended up going for the Sussex, Euro? On balance, I think I would.

Back