July Meeting, Newmarket

He was poorly positioned throughout. Should have been on the heels of Moore.

Anyway, **** all that - need to get some money back. I've lost my stake on Euro Charline for the Falmouth and have gone in on Amazing Maria. Won this last year, ground was all wrong last time and O'Meara has the sense Kevin Ryan doesn't in booking the best available jockey when it comes to Group 1's. I salute him.

I was looking at the betting on Lumiere in the place market all afternoon -about half an hour before the race she was fluctuating between 4.1 &4.2 in win market and was about 1.85 in place market-at the off she was the same price in win market but 2.2 having touched 2.44 in place market.
Is the moral of the story never back a Johnston horse each way?.

There is a few quid about for Bathos today. As Fonz said earlier you need to take seriously the Mark Johnston handicappers. I think his price may contract further as the day goes on.

There is a few quid about for Bathos today. As Fonz said earlier you need to take seriously the Mark Johnston handicappers. I think his price may contract further as the day goes on.

I find Johnston so hard to read as a trainer but he has a fine record in this race.

That said, I like the look of Autocratic against him. Appears to be an improver and an opening mark of 87 seems fair enough.

Elsewhere on the card, I've had Column in my tracker since his debut last season. He's been gelded since he disappointed slightly at Donny in April. Runs today off 89 in a run-of-the-mill handicap and might be up to it.

Well I hold my hands up I got Usherette wrong today, didn't have a penny on as its not my type of price, but it was disappointing. Come on Bathos now!

Last edited:
I find Johnston so hard to read as a trainer but he has a fine record in this race.

That said, I like the look of Autocratic against him. Appears to be an improver and an opening mark of 87 seems fair enough.
Bad luck, typical that you bumped into a Johnston horse but it wasn't the one I've talked up all week!
What did you make of Priceless yesterday btw? She is a must for tracker lists after that I would have thought. ;)

Last edited:
Another bad day. I have Limato at nice prices tomorrow as the bookmakers were slow in shortening him when the ground was forecast as good.

Managed to get 4s about Manson in the 3.25. Massive win at Sandown earlier in the season when he had the Britannia winner in behind. He ran in that too but the ground was too soft. He should win this tomorrow.

Managed to get 4s about Manson in the 3.25. Massive win at Sandown earlier in the season when he had the Britannia winner in behind. He ran in that too but the ground was too soft. He should win this tomorrow.

Good luck, Euronymous. That's a barge-pole race for me.

t

Another fancy at York in the John Smiths is Tawadee. O Meara is a lethal operator in showcase handicaps. I think this wins.

Had the Diamond Jubilee been 50 yds shorter, Magical Memory would have been a most impressive winner, and around 9/4 today as a consequence.
Has too many gears for these, and rates one of the best bets of the whole season.

Bad luck, typical that you bumped into a Johnston horse but it wasn't the one I've talked up all week!
What did you make of Priceless yesterday btw? She is a must for tracker lists after that I would have thought. ;)

They have clearly found the way to ride her. She'll go up four or five pounds for it but she won't be weighted out of things, that's for sure. A drop back to five furlongs might suit.

Don't think we'll get 74/1 next time, mind.

Had the Diamond Jubilee been 50 yds shorter, Magical Memory would have been a most impressive winner, and around 9/4 today as a consequence.
Has too many gears for these, and rates one of the best bets of the whole season.

He's an uncomplicated horse who was given an unnecessarily complicated ride at Ascot. He might well have won ridden differently although I don't agree with the "most impressive" comment. I do think he should be clear favourite today. I took 13/2 after Ascot and was amazed to see him at 7/1 this morning. He'll be given a straightforward ride today, for sure. I'm also on Quiet Reflection at 16/1 and I'm happy with that. I'm not at all worried about the going - she was below her best on the Ascot surface and I actually think she'll be suited by today's faster ground.

Gosden was quoted after the Chesham to the effect that they'd allow Cunco to stride on next time out and on that basis I think he's an excellent price for the Superlative this afternoon at around 9/2.

He's an uncomplicated horse who was given an unnecessarily complicated ride at Ascot. He might well have won ridden differently although I don't agree with the "most impressive" comment.

Not at all!
Frankie rode the horse as a doubtful stayer (which he ultimately proved to be) and, had he made his move earlier, the horse wouldn't have lasted as long as he did. Nothing complicated; just a top jockey, who knows the horse well, riding to give his mount the best possible chance.
The horse showed much the best acceleration of the whole field, and that undoubtedly would have carried him clear, had he not run out of petrol. On today's easier track and quicker ground, there's no call for Frankie to be near as conservative.

Last edited:
Not at all!
Frankie rode the horse as a doubtful stayer (which he ultimately proved to be) and, had he made his move earlier, the horse wouldn't have lasted as long as he did. Nothing complicated; just a top jockey, who knows the horse well, riding to give his mount the best possible chance.
The horse showed much the best acceleration of the whole field, and that undoubtedly would have carried him clear, had he not run out of petrol. On today's easier track and quicker ground, there's no call for Frankie to be near as conservative.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Why Dettori rode him as he did is something neither of us know and can only guess at.

Aye, except one of our guesses was made clear before Ascot, is supported by statements from both jockey and trainer, and the horse's form in just about every race he's run in. :lol:

Last edited:
Cotai Glory surely too big for the July Cup. Has to prove he'll be effective at 6f but 25/1 with SkyBet paying 5 places will do for me (33/1 elsewhere but 4 places)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aye, except one of our guesses was made clear before Ascot, is supported by statements from both jockey and trainer, and the horse's form in just about every race he's run in. :lol:

I've clearly missed all that.

Don't know what Dettori said, before or since, but Hills's comments in the Post on the morning of the race mentioned no stamina doubts at all: "Frankie is unbeaten on him and has a lot of belief in him, as do I. There's no reason not to think he's still improving. He likes the track - Ascot suits horses who travel well and that's what Magical Memory does."

And his post-race comments in his Weekender column were as follows: "There were a few little things that didn't go our way. The draw didn't help and he slightly bunny-hopped coming out of the stalls and was shuffled back. The Tin Man was quite keen so we got a lead from him, but it turned out we were following the wrong horse. All those things put together might have cost him and Frankie Dettori came in and blamed the ground, so there's another thing."

Again, no mention of stamina doubts/issues.

Think he's being kind to Dettori, to be honest.

As I say, if Dettori's said anything about stamina then I've not seen it but it might be self-serving in any event.

It won't have any bearing on today's race, anyway, and I've no doubt the horse will be allowed to bowl along in a prominent position, as he should have been at Ascot, and that he'll go very close at least.

They're there if you look for them, but I've had enough, and I'll let you go on thinking you know better than Frankie.
Suffice to say he'll be running in the BC sprint at Santa Anita not the end of season championship at Ascot = and you can bet on it.

Back