July Meeting, Newmarket

Not sure I'd be a backer of him against Galileo Gold or The Gurkha but I think something like the Maurice de geest will be ideal for him.

It is academic now yes but to answer the question I would have been against Limato in the Sussex. In part because I think 6 maybe 7f on fast ground are his optimum, but also because I prefer 3yos at Goodwood. I think over such an easy mile the WFA is a tad generous.

A great few days racing; always a pleasure seeing fast horses on fast going.
A lovely piece on Limato's owner in Racing Post today.
Quoted as refusing crazy money for the horse the owner aged 70 said he had waited 26 years to own a horse this good and is afraid he might not be around in 26 years for the next one so decided not to sell !
A wonderful series by C4 and Sir Mark Prescott on Newmarket and its environs: it makes me want to go to Newmarket and see the sights for myself i have not seen there before.
had C4 done more of this they would not have lost racing coverage to ITV.
Echo the great ride Jamie gave Deauville last night, he gave Coolmore a decent ride also.
The Hays love jamie and it is easy to see why.

Last edited:
A great few days racing; always a pleasure seeing fast horses on fast going.
A lovely piece on Limato's owner in Racing Post today.
Quoted as refusing crazy money for the horse the owner aged 70 said he had waited 26 years to own a horse this good and is afraid he might not be around in 26 years for the next one so decided not to sell !
A wonderful series by C4 and Sir Mark Prescott on Newmarket and its environs: it makes me want to go to Newmarket and see the sights for myself i have not seen there before.
had C4 done more of this they would not have lost racing coverage to ITV.
Echo the great ride Jamie gave Deauville last night, he gave Coolmore a decent ride also.
The Hays love jamie and it is easy to see why.

Totally agree, especially the "fast horses on fast going" comment. As I've said many times, I'm totally against the move by Newmarket to the weekend but the meeting itself is always a great spectacle.

Prescott is invariably very good value, isn't he?

Interesting point about the C4 coverage. I think they've missed a trick over the years when they've done features on trainers. They tend to go along to the yard, show a quick shot of the trainer giving the stable staff instructions as they go out to ride work and then it's a case of interviewing him either in his sitting room or on a chair in the garden. I'd like to see a lot more about the actual establishment - the yard, its facilities, its history, the gallops. Stables like Beckhampton, Pegasus, Kingston Warren, Blewbury, Manton, Warren Place and so on are places I'd like to know more about.

Last edited:
BATHOS is a course and distance winner at Newmarket twice over. Performances have been hit and miss so far this season, but he's a dangerous horse to underestimate on a mark in the high 80's, (especially at class 3 level). The form of Goodwood win two starts ago working out quite well.

Have to stick with Bathos in the 3:15 at Newmarket again tomorrow. Mark Johnston had the winner of that race last time with Ode To Evening, but crucially he believed Bathos was his best chance in that race. I think this must tell us Bathos is a decent horse ready to strike..

I see Priceless runs in the Group 3 tomorrow, big prices again, she might be out of her depth. I won't be backing her, but if she finishes in the first four or five its a good run.

Last edited:
Back