Juvenile Hurdlers 2014/2015

I think it was all the more painful as I had planned to back NC but was waiting for a better price than he was earlier in the morning but we were hosting the family Grand National party and I was busy making sure the house, grub etc was sorted and I only realised later on I hadn't backed him. Double whammy.

I'm busy doing the reviews for all the races I've missed because it makes more sense to preview races once the reviews are in... All the same, El Beau looks like an interesting newcomer in half an hour's time (John Quinn, consistent at a decent level on flat over right trip, straightforward enough, versatile with ground). Blue Talisman looks like he can improve on his Wetherby run but the form isn't outstanding and Al Musheer looks average but at least has experience and has shown himself to be above fodder level.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. El Beau
2. Blue Talisman
3. Al Musheer

I'm busy doing the reviews for all the races I've missed because it makes more sense to preview races once the reviews are in... All the same, El Beau looks like an interesting newcomer in half an hour's time (John Quinn, consistent at a decent level on flat over right trip, straightforward enough, versatile with ground). Blue Talisman looks like he can improve on his Wetherby run but the form isn't outstanding and Al Musheer looks average but at least has experience and has shown himself to be above fodder level.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. El Beau
2. Blue Talisman
3. Al Musheer

i got El Beau as a lay, layed at 2.88...sire poor over jumps..1/21,,,so one of us will be wrong..probably be me:)

Last edited:
Camacho did put me off a bit but he sired Intermath who's at least been placed a few times this season and this was also offset by the fact that the damsire is Galileo who has a fantastic record with juveniles.

Ah well, I was wrong with the 2nd and 3rd so better to be wrong once than twice I guess :D

Camacho did put me off a bit but he sired Intermath who's at least been placed a few times this season and this was also offset by the fact that the damsire is Galileo who has a fantastic record with juveniles.

Ah well, I was wrong with the 2nd and 3rd so better to be wrong once than twice I guess :D

every time :)

Today's contest at Sandown looks like both substantial and diverse. There's a UK hurdles winner, a placed UK horse with allowances, a listed class Deauville winner, a French AQPS runner up, a Simon Munir import, a horse with decent UK flat form and an unraced half brother to a former Grade One standard performer. What's more, all seven come from top stables and all seven are feasibly bred for the discipline. Whilst recent renewals of this contest have been rather lacking, this year's could potentially make an impact on some of the better races later in the season.

The Wallace Line learned a lot from his debut at Perth when taking a fair Fontwell contest. On that day, he was probably the second best horse in the race as runner up, Mercoeur, simply showed no intention of winning that race. Mercoeur has since ran respectably in a handicap off 111 so the standard set by The Wallace Line is fair without being spectacular and probably wouldn't be enough to take this, particularly under a penalty, and he will be suited by further in any case. Little Flo was a poor, albeit not a reprehensible, horse on the flat but she did stay and was representing a trainer who can improve horses for a switch to hurdling. It was due to this that she was able to finish second on her debut at Fakenham although the race really was a poor one restricted to fillies. In truth, she did well to finish second given that she'd have been suited by a stiffer track but her overall profile still leaves her with plenty to find.

The newcomers are headed by the Paul Nicholls representative Albahar who was last seen winning on the sand at Deauville (white with maroon triple diamond). The runner up in this race since won at Clairefontaine at the third won a €60,000 handicap at Maisons Laffitte. Prior to this run, Albahar finished just over seven lengths fourth in a Listed race at Toulouse where the winner since finished ninth in the Grand Prix de Paris. Overall, his flat form has a very solid look, although it seems more "top handicap" than group class. Nick Sholfield stated yesterday that Albahar "has good flat form and he is schooled very nicely. We will learn more about him but I am sure he will go well in what looks a hot race." which appears to be more cautiously optimistic than absolutely glowing and given the slow start the Nicholls yard has had with its juveniles (Full Blast and All Set To Go both disappointing), Albahar is by no means nailed on. Nevertheless, he would still be entitled to respect in any race of this nature. Baron Alco has had just the one start so far where he finished second in an AQPS flat race at Vichy (chestnut in the blue and green "Papot" colours). The comfortable winner of that race followed an Auteuil sixth with hurdles wins at Moulins and Enghien and the fourth won a small flat race at Moulins. The form is probably a notch or two behind that shown by Albahar although the impression given was that he would improve plenty for the experience. Jamie Moore stated that “Even though the soft ground isn’t his favourite, he still works well on it and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is there or thereabouts. We always send our best horses to this race and won it with Megastar.” which is more indicative of where Baron Alco stands in the Moore yard. Romulus du Donjon didn't manage a win in three starts on the flat in France but his runs in the provinces weren't without promise including last time when a close third at Lyon (grey horse in orange colours). The winner of that race since finished third in a listed race at Compiegne and the runner up is holding his own in reasonable company so essentially, the form of Romulus du Donjon isn't a million miles away from that achieved by Albahar. Furthermore, with the Oliver Sherwood yard enjoying a fine spell of form, it is reasonable to expect a bold showing from is charge. Liberty Red has not been seen since finishing third off topweight in a Beverley handicap back in April for Ed Dunlop. The form of that handicap however has worked out extremely well with seven winners emerging from the ten who've ran since. He's very much an exciting prospect and incidentally, is related to another decent novice from the yard in Zamdy Man. The only real concerns are the layoff and the fact that Venetia Williams' horses are either winning or badly underperforming. Sea The Springs has yet to see the racecourse and his trainer, Dan Skelton, is only slightly more experienced being in his second season. Nevertheless, the Ditcheat graduate has made a hugely promising start to his career and the horse itself is a half brother a former Ditcheat inmate in the highly talented but ill fated Cristal Bonus. Sea The Springs can also count Nan’s Catch, Othermix and Oh Crick among his relatives but for all the talent that existed in his family, only Cristal Bonus was able to win on his debut and this looks too strong a contest for his young brother to repeat the trick.

(Incredibly) Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. Romulus du Ronjon
2. Albahar
3. Liberty Red

Little Flo 5/4 Texas Jack 1st Kinloch Brae Chase (G2), Thurles 2014 (2/1 Big Rob)
Sea The Springs .5 Cristal Bonus Graduation Chase (G2), Down Royal 2012 (2/1 Nan’s Catch 2/2 Othermix, Oh Crick)
Baron Alco 3/2 Natal 2nd Champion Chase (G1), Punchestown 2008
Liberty Red 4/2 Zamdy Man 1st Rossington Main Novices’ Hurdle (G2), Haydock 2014
The Wallace Line 2/1 Romancer 2nd County Hurdle (G3.136), Cheltenham 1996
Romulus du Donjon 3/1 Irish Approach 2nd Sport Of Kings’ Challenge Hurdle, Cheltenham 1994 (4/2 Kailash)
Albahar 3/3 Resounding Glory 1st Wensleydale Juvenile Hurdle (Listed), Wetherby 2008

Sires
Liberty Red - Dubawi (6)
Baron Alco - Dom Alco (2)
Sea The Springs - Slickly (2)
Romulus du Donjon - Stormy River (2)
Albahar - Dark Angel (1)
Little Flo - Midnight Legend
The Wallace Line - Mastercraftsman

Apologies for the frankly illogical selection. Baron Alco was essentially described as the best prospect in a yard that constantly does well with juveniles yet I didn't even have him in the top three (although he was my 1 on several occasions throughout the process). In truth, it really did look so tight beforehand so I could have picked any of them in any order and it would have made sense but all the same, I can't help but kick myself. I'm currently fighting the dreaded man-flu so if I make any more howlers, we can put it down to that.

Celestino
Leeds 2/1 Chaninbar 2nd Celebration Chase (G2), Sandown 2011 (4/3 Double Car)
Following two uninspiring starts on the flat when seventh then ninth at Mont-de-marsan, Celestino encountered Top Notch in both of his hurdles starts. At Bordeaux, he finished 21l fifth and Enghien, he practically matched that form to the pound when beaten 13l whilst in receipt of six and a half pounds from Top Notch.
(red, yellow stars and cap in linked videos)

Tomorrow's juvenile at Market Rasen is interesting since it is the first time Top Notch's form is tested in the context of the UK.

Celestino's runs are noted in the above quote and given the hype surrounding Top Notch, who has since joined Nicky Henderson, a conservative rating of around 140 would put Celestino at around 115+ which would be intimidating at this level. The actual form of the Enghien run is a bit of a mixed bag but Ibis du Rheu subsequently gave the Bordeaux form a boost. Celestino has already proven that he can jump and race and though there will be stronger juveniles to come, a race at Market Rasen should be in reaching distance for a top yard that is now gaining momentum this season. Final Countdown has had two runs over hurdles finishing runner up on each occasion. Costing £50,000 at the September DBS sale, he made a rather inauspicious start at Bangor although in fairness, none of the runners in that race were straightforward and he did clear Aintree winner Starchitect and Uttoxeter runner up Guard Of Honour. He put in a much more mature effort next time at Wetherby where he jumped with fluency and chased the winner to the line. However, the form of that race isn't looking great with the winner and third both pulling up next time and the fifth failing to take advantage of an easy opening at Fakenham. Furthermore, he still sweated and hung a bit and while he has the ability to win a small race, he carries with him enough doubt in this company. At the same DBS sale, Zarawi went for £21,000 to join Charlie Longsdon. For Dermot Khan and the Aga Khan, he picked up a rating of 76 in five starts on the flat in Ireland although it is doubtful if he warranted such a mark. Apart from being overawed in a listed Leopardstown contest in June, his form in maidens isn't without promise and he shown his versatility over a range of distances. His sire, Marju, can sire jumpers including winners on soft ground and he hails from a family which features a veritable smorgasbord of high class hurdlers. Blue Atlantic had eight runs on the flat for Mark Johnson including a win where he dead heated at Beverley in a mile and a half handicap. In his first six runs, he was consistent enough and a rating of 74 reflects his class but he has disappointed on his last two starts. Furthermore, he has never raced on ground slower than good and there is little encouragement for an aptitude for winter jumping in his predominantly American pedigree. Lady Bubbles failed to pick up a race in nine starts and her best effort was when third off 48 in a ten furlong handicap at Beverley. Selling class and overfaced for her jumps debut. Berry de Carjac makes his racecourse debut after selling for €11,000 at the Arqana summer sale. He's related to several good jumps horses including Exotic Dancer but there will be easier opportunities in the fullness of time.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. Celestino
2. Zarawi
3. Final Countdown

Berry de Carjac 3/3 Exotic Dancer 1st Lexus Chase (G1), Leopardstown 2008 (2/1 Moncourt, Moncortoise)
Zarawi 3/3 Zarkandar 1st Grand Prix d’Automne (G1), Auteuil 2014
(.5 Zarzal 4/2 Zaiyad 4/3 Zaidpour 4/3 Zaynar 4/2 Zafarabad 3/2 Big Eared Fran 4/4 Zimbabwe 4/3 Zabari 4/3 Zabadi 4/3 Zarinava 4/2 Zarlyan)
Celestino 2/1 Chaninbar 2nd Celebration Chase (G2), Sandown 2011 (4/3 Double Car)
Blue Atlantic 5/3 Danseur Etoile 1st Prix Finot (Listed), Auteuil 1989
Lady Bubbles 5/3 Morstock 4th Kingwell Hurdle (G2), Wincanton 1995 (4/2 Wasted Talent, 5/3 Melling)
Final Countdown 2/1 Pearl’s A Singer 3rd Mares Novice Hurdle (G3), Down Royal 2006

Sires
Berry de Carjac - Epalo
Zarawi - Marju
Celestino - Leeds
Blue Atlantic - Stormy Atlantic
Lady Bubbles - Distant Peak
Final Countdown - Selkirk

I have looked forward to Kabjoy making her debut over hurdles for the last 5 months-she had shown real determination on the flat a couple of times in May and June.For a variety of stupid reasons I didn't back her but she won handy enough in what looked an incredibly slowly run race to me.I think there could be plenty left in the tank and would be surprised to see her win the Grade 1 at Leopardstown over Christmas.

Today's will be rushed because I'm in a rush.

McCain, Ellison and King have all done very well and are each represented here.

Chatez is easily the class horse of the field and if there weren't doubts over his stamina and his lacklustre effort at Ascot last time out, he would be a confident selection. However, he looked an iffy stayer on the flat and the reason is fairly obvious seeing as he's by crack five furlong horse Dandy Man. Unsurprisingly, he's Dandy Man's first horse to run over hurdles and though Chatez is closely related to Ghizao, the fact that that the German bred Nicholls chaser is best over two miles doesn't offer as much encouragement as one would hope. Top Of The Glas isn't too far off in terms of class and has a profile slightly more conducive to a jumps career. Sindarban wasn't disgraced on his hurdles bow and jumped fluently enough but there will be concerns as he was winded when he took a fall and there's no telling how that will affect his confidence. Guard Of Honour has solid form but isn't at all trustworthy.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. Top Of The Glas
2. Guard Of Honour
3. Chatez

I have looked forward to Kabjoy making her debut over hurdles for the last 5 months-she had shown real determination on the flat a couple of times in May and June.For a variety of stupid reasons I didn't back her but she won handy enough in what looked an incredibly slowly run race to me.I think there could be plenty left in the tank and would be surprised to see her win the Grade 1 at Leopardstown over Christmas.

Always nice to see Harrington have a good horse. Very impressed with that one today myself.

I've really not had much of a chance to have a look at the Irish Juveniles (have struggled to keep up with the UK ones due to work etc) but would Kabjoy and Scooping be the two stand-outs so far? Also, do you think Kabjoy beat a great deal as the second and third were both beaten in the season's curtain raiser and I don't recall that being of a strong standard.

Anyways, I have finally caught up with all of the reviews I've missed in the past month or so. Some of what I've written may not make great sense but the important thing is I've learned a valuable lesson about cleaning as you go. I'm happy to have completed this in time for tomorrow's white-hot juvenile at Cheltenham although I think I will wait until the morning before I do a write up of that race because I think that if I see another three year old horse jumping over another hurdle this evening, it will probably be the thing that finally sends me over the edge (if it isn't putting all the horsey's names in bold).

Kelso 5th October

The first Juvenile at Kelso this season was also the first juvenile to be ran on officially soft ground. Only the four runners but they went a decent enough gallop so there's nothing wrong with the finishing order. For all intents and purposes, this was a match race and ultimately, it wasn't particularly informative.

Mr Gallivanter made it two from two without exerting much effort at all. He screwed his jump at the fourth but apart from that he jumped smoothly throughout. Not much was learned from this effort and it was more a case of the impression he gave at Stratford being re-enforced. If one wants to look for criticisms, he did take a rather keen hold and he did hang his head to the right for most of the race but he remains one to look forward to. Al Musheer rather surprisingly made his own running on what was his third hurdles start and rather unsurprisingly emptied out as soon as he was passed approaching two out. What's more, he was pushed along on the paddock bend for a moment of hitherto unseen recalcitrance so there's a hint that he may be forming his own ideas about the game. There could well be a small race in him somewhere down the line and he could benefit from gelding but he's limited on all evidence. The front two raced ahead of the other two and there was a distance back to the third at the finish. Cape Arrow made less mistakes than he had at Perth but he still finished tailed off and Secret Kode continued her 2014 of unmitigated disappointment with novicey jumping and a tendency to pull before finishing a further thirty-eight lengths behind Cape Arrow. The only chance she'll get at winning over hurdles will be as a broodmare.

Huntingdon 5th October

This didn't look like a strong contest but there was a winner and a couple of placed horses in the field and it was the winner and a placed horse who pulled well clear of the remainder.

Gimme Five notched his second win of the season with a battling success. Apart from a mistake at the third last, he jumped as well as he should have done given his experience and the professional attitude which sealed the victory is also down to same. He was entitled to win this race on paper and life will be much harder under a double penalty. All the same, he has since won a two mile handicap at Wolverhampton so his battling skills and stamina should still see him win his races in turn. Witch From Rome failed to run into a place in six flat starts and was 50/1 when second on his debut at Plumpton but he proved that was no fluke with an improved effort here. He was iffy at the first, a little flat footed four out and green when initially coming under pressure at the penultimate flight. Apart from that these foibles though, his jumping was fine and there's nothing in that department that can't be ironed out with experience. He rallied towards the end but he was receiving ten pounds from the winner so the bare form isn't brilliant. Nevertheless, he can still improve and it's reasonable to imagine there being a race out there for him. Appellez Baileys jumped better than on his debut but it was still a rather mixed bag as he was rather untidy over half of his jumps. He plugged on at a slow and steady pace after being beaten but he doesn't look like an immediate winner. Officer Drivel was backed from 9/2 into 3/1 on course but he pulled himself to the front here and that essentially put paid to his chances on this occasion. Can be better than this if he settles but he's already proven himself as unreliable. Roman Riches drifted out from 9/1 to 12/1 and after jumping slowly, was beaten before the end of the back straight and finished tailed off. He's since finished ninety lengths last at Windsor and has seemingly lost the plot for the time being. Racing handily, Flying Author jumped right at the first, wasn't fluent at the third and had already lost his position exiting the home straight first time before eventually pulling up.

Ludlow 8th October
They went a strong gallop in this weak looking maiden and the field was strung out after just three flights. Ran in driving rain, the field performed a concertina effect towards the end of the back straight and a 25/1 winner most likely illustrates the overall value of this form.

Bishop Wulstan opened at 33/1 and although there was a little money before the off, this was still the biggest priced winner of the juvenile season so far. That said, he was capable of decent form despite his mercurial form figures and he can call Gibb River and Goblet Of Fire his half brothers so he was overpriced. Held up off the strong pace, he travelled sensibly in blinkers before closing down the prominent horses in his own time. He jumped left two out and even clattered the last looking like he had given away the initiative. However, he found his stride on the run in and ground down the runner up picking up the spoils near the finish with a little in hand. This was a poor race and a penalty will do him no favours but he may yet have another race in him at some point and connections still have the option of gelding him in the future. Aristocracy jumped big and novicey for much of the race but it was an improvement on his Fontwell jumping and he deserves credit here for staying on despite being prominent in a strongly run race. He lost out in the end but it wasn't through lack of will or spirit and as with the flat, there is a level for him. Moving Waves was held up off the strong pace and wasn't the most fluent jumper but she did plug on for third. The race worked out in her favour here so the form can't be taken strictly at face value but she does stay and will be capable of better over further. Sternrubin was a warm order on his hurdles debut but he raced keenly on the flat and this spelled his demise here. Dropped out to begin with, he tripped rather than jumped over first. Then he pulled his way to the front before the third and was in the vanguard up until the home straight. Jumping sketchily on numerous occasions, he was given a tender ride after being outpaced and although he is far from a star on this evidence, he should still prove to be better than this bare form. Nellie The Elegant once again ran her race which was honest but slow. Ravenous traded the lead with Sternrubin for much of the race but put in a tired jump three out and that was his last stint in said position. He then weakend in the latter stages and the lack of stamina that ended his race at Stratford repeated themselves here. Monte Viso pulled hard, jumped poorly and was getting reminders from an early stage before finishing absolutely tailed off. Premier Jack’s pulled hard and ran all over the place in the early stages before pulling up after which it emerged that he had broken blood vessels. Guard Of Honour running in first time blinkers jumped and travelled better than in the farcical race at Bangor. As the field slowed down exiting the back straight, he found himself at the front of the field almost by default. No sooner had he hit the front, he hung very badly left at the turn and ran out of the race. Given the nature of the pace, it's difficult to ascertain how well he would have ran had he been more honest but it's safe to say that he isn't one to be trusted in the future.

Chepstow 11th October

The curtain raiser to Chepstow's national hunt season had the seeds of great potential which flowered into a highly satisfactory event. Although the pace was very steady early on, it quickened long enough from the finish and given that all but the five with realistic chances were shaken off before halfway, the form has a solid look about it.

Formerly trained by John Oxx, Karezak brought the highest level of flat form for any Juvenile seen so far and he's very much bred to be a successful hurdler so his win came as no surprise. His run of seconds on the flat was a concern beforehand but the hurdles enticed a new enthusiasm for racing in him and he assuaged any such fear with a very gallant success. A big raw type, he was not as fluent as the runner up but despite this, he always seemed to be carrying enough class to win the protracted battle. His trainer stated afterwards that he could be next seen at a galloping track at Newbury which would play to his strengths and whilst it's difficult to say if he'll be Grade One class, he should hold his own in that kind of company this season. Golden Doyen had not been seen since racing as a two year old at claiming level on the continent but his effort here was a departure from his relatively modest origins. Golden Doyen was slightly smaller than the winner but on this day was much the quicker and more efficient jumper. Although he came out on the wrong end of a gruelling battle, it certainly wasn't due to a lack of trying as he had his ears pricked and momentarily passed Karezak without hesitation. Whether he bounces or strips fitter for his next endeavour remains to be seen but taken at face value, this is a very nice effort which would rank as the second best seen to date. Russian Bolero was an impressive winner on his UK/hurdles debut at Plumpton where he beat weak looking field with professional ease. He still travelling nicely approaching three out but suddenly found things happening too quickly for him as he was swiftly outpaced by the front two. He can still win races, there is still the option of having him gelded and he may yet be better on softer ground. Brook was a bigger type than the rest of his opponents and rather curiously, opened as favourite before drifting three quarters of a point. The trainer wasn't particularly glowing when discussing his chances beforehand and unsurprisingly, given he's a nephew of Pineau de Re, he was the first of the protagonists to get outpaced. Full Blast started as the favourite on account of him being an ex-french Paul Nicholls recruit. He took the early lead and blundered at the second but his jumping was fine otherwise. After setting his own gallop, he found nothing after being headed and weakened to finish over thirty two lengths behind the winner. It is possible he would prefer a stronger pace but he's seen as more of a chasing type and his French form wasn't spectacular in any case so given the context of expectations, he wasn't necessarily disappointing. For all intents and purposes, this was a five runner race as the rest of the field - on paper and in the race proper - stood no discernible chance. Sheer Poetry, a daughter of Yeats, was second in a Kempton 0-55 classified stakes on her last flat start. Whilst she was a no-hoper beforehand, she did plug on past the other outsiders and there is still a feasible possibility of her being competitive in a much lesser race over a longer trip. Foot Soldier was making his first ever racecourse appearance and this proved to be a baptism of fire. He will need his sights set much lower to make a proper assessment of his ability but he wouldn't be written off just yet. Magic Magnolia was already exposed as limited beforehand so this effort did nothing to dispel such notion. Lady Knight probably registered her best hurdles effort here but even so, she was still a tailed off last. Symphony Of Pearls dived right at the second when unseating Robert Dunne and the dive was even more pronounced at the next when running loose. Hopeigetlucky jumped big at the fourth and though he was, in a fashion, the only one of the rank outsiders who kept up with the protagonists, the exertions took their toll and he was pulled up in the straight. Planet Rock was getting niggled along from roughly the start and made a mistake at the fourth whilst already tailed off before ultimately pulling up.

Sedgefield 13th October

Six horses lined up for this race but this was reduced to five at the start, then three after the back straight and a fall at the last left two finishers, one of them a very clear winner.

L'Aigle Royal won a race at Nancy for Guillaume Macaire in May and his overall form in France is of a respectable standard. He jumped flawlessly here on his UK debut but he was outpaced early on and it took him a while to change gears. He isn't a fast horse by any means but he does have an engine and plenty of scope. James Reveley said afterwards that he'll stay three miles and that he'll make an excellent chaser and on all visual evidence thus far, it is difficult to disagree with that sentiment. He wouldn't be meandering into any Triumph lists but John Quinn did mention the Finale at Chepstow as a possibility so he may still be one to respect this season. Istimraar shaped like a non stayer on his first two starts and though he jumped nicely here, he emptied out very quickly towards the end of the back straight and stood no chance once headed. Will not win anything over two miles unless he is held up and even then, it is doubtful he'll stay. Porthos de Vallon jumped nicely for the first part of the race but his propensity to race keenly and his lack of stamina told in no uncertain terms as he quickly backpeddled after a poor jump at the fourth. Strategic Island jumped poorly in rear on his racecourse debut and was tailed off entering the back straight. No promise on this evidence. Announcement didn't even cross the start line when she bucked and unshipped Danny Cook as the tape went up. Not much to delve from this other than a very questionable attitude. One imagines it's either the paddocks or the flat that would be next on her card. Sindarban is nicely bred for a hurdling career and made a promising enough start here. Second on all three of his flat starts in Ireland, he jumped well enough if a little lacking in fluency and looked like the winner turning in as L'Aigle Royal was still trying to find his gears. However, he began to tire in the straight and was comfortably held when taking a tired fall at the last. He was winded but it wasn't at all a crunching fall so if this doesn't leave a mental scar, he should find a small contest before too long.

Wetherby 15th October

They went a decent gallop in this maiden and the field were spread out from an early stage. It wasn't a kamikaze pace however as the leader was able to make all and win in the end. The going was described as good, good to firm in places and the times throughout the card would attest to this description. The winner since ran no sort of race at Plumpton although that probably calls more on his inconsistency and his inability to handle soft ground that it does on the quality of the form at this stage.

Relentless Pursuit's form in his first two jumps starts was nothing special so despite this being a fairly weak contest, this represents a big step up. Relishing the change in tactics, he jumped very adequately from the lead and whilst his leap at the penultimate flight was quite stuttery but it was a very nimble jump at the last that sealed the race for him. Chasing the winner to the line, Final Countdown's jumping was much more fluent here than it was on his debut at Bangor. He sweated up quite badly beforehand and was inclined to hang when entering the home straight. Nevertheless gave his Bangor form a more solid look and can be expected to improve again on this effort. Eight lengths back in third, Blue Talisman drifted from 14/1 to 18/1 for his debut but the son of Alhaarth put his recent lacklustre flat form behind him with a respectable effort. He jumped slightly to his right at the fourth and reached for the fifth but he jumped reasonably by and large and can run into a place in a weak contest. Sirpertan bought only fair form from the flat and rather clambered over the third flight. He was also a little green in the home straight and the form isn't fantastic but he since ran respectably at Redcar on the flat so it wouldn't be beyond him to run into a place in a low level race. Dry Your Eyes followed the solid gallop and jumped neatly throughout the early only for her jumping to be compromised by her lack of stamina. Only fair at best but liable to be competitive in a lower grade over a shorter, sharper trip. Aldreth was having his third start over hurdles and his price almost halved beforehand from 22/1 to 12/1. His jumping was fair enough given his experience and he passed a couple after the last but his mark of 102 does not look generous. Two B’s was unplaced after six starts on the flat and his jumping left a lot to be desired here. He gave the first lot of air as well as fourth and was very hesitant at fifth. Two of his full sisters have won over hurdles but he will need to reach a zen moment if his hurdling aptitude is to take him to similar heights. Tortoise was thoroughly exposed after twenty one starts on the flat and given that her jumping was perfectly sound here, it's difficult to see where the improvement can come from. Fillydelphia wandered around not fluent first, raced keenly when chasing the leader and though she was still looking like a threat in the home straight, she was already fading when she blundered at the last. It’s All A Game was a further nine lengths back and was not fluent at the second. He was given an easy time of things late on but there was nothing actually positive and he's since put in a poor effort on the flat. Yet another nine lengths back was Worthy Spirit who was very keen early before fading just after halfway. Barbara Elizabeth is closely related to Fair Along but was the first beaten and finished tailed off.

Uttoxeter 16th October

The Uttoxeter contest was one of three races over two miles on the card and was the slowest of the three which told more of the steady pace than anything else. Two of the participants had previous winning form over hurdles.

Sinndar's Man came into the race under a penalty he picked up at Perth and was running on the easiest ground he's encountered so far. He sweated a bit beforehand but his jumping was proficient and continues to improve and was able to out-battle the runner up to take this prize. Still a big and raw stamp of an animal, he has a future over hurdles and though this form wasn't outstanding by any means, he can still pay his way in the long run. Guard Of Honour was the main culprit in the farcical Bangor race and though he jumped and travelled better at Ludlow, he still veered left off the course when that race was hotting up. Much better settled here with the blinkers kept on, he blundered slightly at several of the early obstacles and made a telling error at the penultimate flight. He was still travelling strongest approaching the last but despite perhaps his most fluent jump of the race, he seemed reluctant to pass the winner up the straight. He clearly has the ability to win a race of this nature but he probably should have won this so he would need a change in attitude in order to take a prize of his own. A maiden after seven starts for Michael Stoute, Mairise sweated freely, raced keenly and was far from fluent at several of the jumps which cost him any real chance. The form in and of itself isn't strong but he is a half brother to three mile performer Maypole Lass so with the future in mind, he isn't written off completely just yet. Cyclop was the other penalised runner in the field after taking an Auteuil claimer five months ago. He was set to run over this course and distance in June but was withdrawn on the day and wasn't entered anywhere since. As one expects of a French winner, he jumped very fluently and was travelling best exiting the back. However, he wasn't strong in the market and he stopped very quickly once headed which indicates that he was short of fitness. Capable of better. A half brother to decent early season juvenile Hilali, Moojaned never made track for Kevin Prendergast and beat only four from forty three in four low key races on the flat. He took a pull and was very quickly outpaced in the back straight. He caught up on the flat exiting the back but was swiftly dropped when the pace and the jumping resumed. Graphene jumped novicey and was already being pushed along at the beginning of the back straight before eventually finishing tailed off.

Kempton 19th October

The going was good to soft, good in places for Kempton's first jumps race of the season. It had been dominated by Alan King and Sheena West for the past six seasons and although neither of them had representatives here, David Pipe, Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson each sent a newcomer. They went an even tempo and in the end, it was taken in facile style.

Stars Over The Sea was a decent performer on the flat finishing third in the Epsom Derby Trial and thought good enough to contest the Chester Vase in the spring. Whilst he didn't progress from that standard, his official rating of 96 (was 99) is as good as anything in the context of this sphere. As soon as the race started however, he looked a million miles away from a natural. He took a brutally fierce hold and it was only a world class sit from Tom Scudamore that maintained the partnership as he crashed through the first. To be fair, he jumped the fourth very fluently and his next two jumps were nimble enough so he can occasionally jump. Hard held entering the straight, he still landed on all fours at the last two flights but such was his dominance over the placed horses, he could have jumped them backwards. On balance, he only beat two average at best sorts and two others who seemingly underperformed but he had any amount in hand and it is exciting to see what he does next. Maid Of Tuscany was fairly consistent maiden on the flat if exposed not much better than selling class. Representing an in-form trainer, she jumped quite well overall despite finding herself alongside others making poor jumps. Outpaced in the back stretch, she closed again turning for home and though possibly a bit tired when she ran across the second last, she did show enough courage to pass a tiring non-stayer on the flat. She's no superstar but as with the flat, she should be able to find her own level. Ravenous was reasonable on the flat but his lack of stamina let him down on both of his hurdles starts so far. Around this sharper track, he led early and though he slowed into the second, jumped fine in the main. He could only hold onto the lead for so long though and was headed turning in by the winner before being passed again on the straight. He's not without talent but it's difficult to envisage a jumps race where he can stay to the line. All Set To Go contested the Beresford as a two year old and was last seen finishing third in a Group 3 back in April where he wound up ahead of the Irish Derby runner up and behind the Epsom Derby eighth. He was described as having schooled nicely but he pulled early, pecked at the fourth and landed on all fours on numerous occasions. Pushed along exiting the back straight, Jockey Sam Twiston-Davies gave up the ghost shortly afterwards. This wasn't his true running and he has ran below form after a break earlier in his career so his prospects are still tangible. Princess Ombu raced only once on the flat when soundly beaten in a Windsor maiden in April but she is by High Chaparral, trained by Nicky Henderson and is a half sister to decent hurdler Cool Macavity. None of these positive helped her cause however as she screwed in the air at the first and was slow over the second and was pushed along after the third before finishing well beaten. Little promise on this evidence. Gladstone twice a winner in France (maiden and claimer), he sweated up beforehand, pulled early, and raced wide. His jumping wasn't terrible but he clattered the fifth and although it didn't seem to cost momentum, it did immediately sap his enthusiasm and he backpeddled straight away. The jockey wasn't too harsh with him though and he was backed beforehand so he still warrants another chance. Softly She Treads wasn't any better than selling class and was inconsistent to boot. She was already being jostled along passing the stands after the second flight and was tailed off when she tried to refuse at three out. Village Cricket wasn't seen since finishing last on three of her four starts as a two year old and pulled up after losing touch at the top of the back straight.

Ludlow 23rd October

The first claimer of the season was a poor one at that. However, the pace set was a solid one and they finished strung out at the end.

Drifter's flat form gave him a solid chance in this company but he had cost himself any chance at Fontwell despite impressing with his swift jumping. He sweated up beforehand but was allowed his head in the early stages and after a breather in the back straight, pulled clear again turning for home and he jumped them all legless. Not great form by any means but he is more than capable of holding his own at this level. Nellie The Elegant has been exposed as limited but she does jump neatly and has been consistently honest since her switch to hurdles. She ran in absolute accordance with the script here and finished ten lengths clear of the remainder. Admirable in her own right but in need of a lowly contest if she's ever going to take a race of her own. Craftybird's form on the flat was dismal at best so this can only be taken as a career best. Held up in rear, she made her way into the race in her own time passing four of her tired rivals from the third last onwards. There is an element of promise here and to her credit, she didn't make any errors throughout the race but it's worth bearing in mind she was running off bottom weight in a poor contest. Love Tangle was backed from 10/1 into 13/2 after being bitterly disappointing on all of his starts to date. Officially rated 74 at one point on the flat, he's never been a straightforward sort and though this effort was fair, it wasn't indicative of any imminent improvement. Appellez Baileys finished third on his second start at Huntingdon where he stepped his debut jumping although he had little in behind him on that occasion. Chasing the leader, his jumping was by far and away as neat as it has been. However, he was in trouble a long way from home and with no obvious excuses to draw on, his form is probably just levelling out as poor as it is on the flat. Symphony Of Pearls finished tailed off on her only flat start and made it only as far as the second at Chepstow. She was at least able to complete this time but she did pull and several of her jumps were compromised by this behaviour. Little evidence of promise at this stage. On the basis of his flat form, unduly given a rating of 80 at one stage for Marcus Tregoning, Mabdhool competed for favouritism in the market despite carrying top weight. However, his jumping was big, slow and cautious in the early stages. It did improve slightly as the race progressed and he was still in second jumping three out but a blunder at that flight finished off his chances and from then on, his jumping lacked any fluency or confidence and he finished a tailed off last. Whilst there were glimpses of ability, overall, he looked far from a natural. Earl's Bridge sadly lost his life and Taanif was already beaten when running into the stricken horse.

Fakenham 24th October

The first fillies only race of the season could only have been described as modest and despite the bright weather and a fair gallop, they still finished a full five seconds slower than the opening seller taken by an 83 rated animal.

Isabella Liberty had a spell in France throughout the spring and picked up a fillies maiden at Saint-Cloud in May. Subsequently, she was soundly beaten in a Clairefontaine handicap and on her return to the UK, finished tailed off in a Newmarket handicap where she was always in rear. Backed before the off, a different horse turned up on this occasion, one who travelled and jumped well throughout and was a cut above the rest of the field. Little Flo was selling class on the flat but is very much bred to be a jumper and put up a career best on debut twelve lengths behind the winner. Likely to be better over further and wouldn't have been suited by this track but this was a poor race nonetheless and will need a similarly poor race to be competitive in the near future. Olymnia represented the same stable as the winner but was some twenty pounds behind her on their flat form. Was impeded at the last but was set for a poor fourth in any case. Moving Waves went off as an uneasy favourite following a third in a poor Ludlow maiden that was ran perfectly to suit her. As predicted, she wasn't suited by this race and will be suited by a return to a galloping track. A fifteen race maiden on the flat, Acquaint made a sketchy jump at the first and was struggling from an early stage. Keep To The Beat, a rare runner over jumps for Kevin Ryan, kept up with the pace for a long way but was quickly beaten and was dismounted quickly after the line. L Ge R jumped poorly and struggled from an early stage before finishing tailed off. Dry Your Eyes was making her fourth start over hurdles and brought the most solid form. Jumping well for the most part, she was left flat footed when headed by the winner. She may well have stayed on for second but for a crashing fall at the last. However, irrespective of the effects of that fall, one gets the impression that if she was going to win a race, this would have been it.

Aintree 26th October

Despite the small field, this was an intriguing contest as it featured two promising last time out winners and another horse who'd finished runner up on his two jumps starts.

Starchitect cost 110,000gns at the Tattersalls sale in July and connections may have been perturbed by the manner of his debut success on his debut where his attitude towards the act jumping hurdles was at best, one confused scepticism. Nevertheless, in hindsight, his behaviour in North Wales can be put down to inexperience and the lack of tangible pace as this was a thoroughly encouraging effort. Jumping straight and true throughout, whilst there's nothing exuberant or overwhelmingly precise about his style, it is certainly effective enough. On the day, the race was probably handed to him by the runner up's foibles but he is still a classy horse with a future over obstacles. It took him a while to work his way through the gears up the straight which makes him an unlikely candidate for a future Christmas Hurdle at Kempton. Though it is interesting that his trainer has described him as one with "the look of a staying chaser". Unanimite raised the bar for this season's juveniles when beating a collective of winners at Market Rasen on his UK/jumps debut with ease. He was unable to get a lead on this occasion though and was already pulling a bit when Witch From Rome lit him up by eyeballing him. Then, when the hurdles finally came, he jumped to the left at the vast majority of the flights, sometimes glaringly so. All told, he was the best horse in the race given that the ground lost going horizontally would have been greater than the two lengths separating the two at the line and this is before one takes into account the four pound weight discrepancy and the drift to the left after the last. Naturally, this performance leaves a question mark over Unanimite's head but he's not short on talent and will be better in a faster paced race. Witch From Rome was modest on the flat but improved dramatically on his debut run at Plumpton and proved that wasn't a fluke when second again at Huntingdon getting weight from Gimme Five. This was another creditable effort and for a moment up the straight, he looked like making a serious claim to first prize. Ultimately, he was outpaced and was beaten by six and a half lengths. Plus, he was receiving weight from the first two so he hasn't quite improved to their standard but he does jump well and an average race would be well within his compass on all evidence. Cape Arrow had no chance on paper and completed in his own time to collect £381.60 for his connections.

Wetherby 31st October

The Wensleydale Hurdle has traditionally been a law onto itself in terms of prestige. Past renewals have been taken by the likes of Sametegal, Quazar and Bellator with future Grade One winners Kerawi, Grandouet and Katchit finding themselves down the field. Other renewals have been so dire, their legacies have been outlived by mayflies. With the pre-declaration omissions of Mr Gallivanter and Top Notch, this renewal probably looks more on the ephemeropteran end of the scale but that's not to take away from the winner's admirable qualities. The ground was on the quicker side for the time of year with the track record being broken earlier on the card.

Full Day was one of the season's leading juveniles coming into the race with wins at Newton Abbot and Sedgefield as well as an honourable second at Market Rasen so she was entitled to go off as favourite. He chances were also bolstered by the ground having won on good to firm both on the flat and at Newton Abbot. It wasn't entirely straightforward as the runner up took advantage of a muddling pace and she had to regain the lead after a slow jump at the last. But her class told towards the finish and she was worth much more than the half length that separated the two at the finish. About to embark on a winter break, her trainer has said that she will be aimed at the Cheltenham festival in the spring and though the Triumph looks too lofty at this stage, she may not be entirely disgraced in that or the Fred Winter. Magic Magnolia was hopeless on the flat and her debut over hurdles, where she was seventeen lengths behind Full Day, was a massive step up. This effort in turn was practically revelatory. In truth, she seems flattered by the performance as she was able to take advantage of a slow early pace but she did jump very well to create distance between herself and the rest of the field and although it looked over for her when the principals closed in, she was able to pull away again from all but one of them. She's now got her black type which has come pretty cheaply but this represents a lifetime best and it would be surprising if she's unable to collect an ordinary event. Come On Sunshine ran four days earlier on the flat but that came after a three month break. Two from two over hurdles prior to this, he had the reasonable Vosne Romanee behind him when last seen at Market Rasen thus his form fairly indistinguishable from that of Full Day. The quicker ground most didn't probably suit him here and was probably showing the effects of a hard race on the flat when making tired jumps at the last two. He's far from mediocre although his finishing behind the runner up does set a boundary. Ludlow maiden winner Bishop Wulstan went unsold at auction earlier in the week when fetching only 10,000gns. It wasn't a good race he won at Ludlow and although his jumping wasn't brilliant here(went through the top of the first and hit the fifth), he was inconsistant on the flat so it's probably a combination of him being outclassed and his having ran slightly below his best here. Sicilian Bay was an eleven race maiden on the flat and her best form was no better than claiming standard. She's by Jeremy but there was no other real reason for her to perform here and she duly finished well tailed off on her hurdles bow.

Huntingdon 2nd November

The first race at Huntingdon was taken by Alan King's Gimme Five and the second race went to the same yard, albeit with a horse with much more scope. They went a sound pace and the winning time, whilst slow due to the ground, was comparable to the claimer an hour later which is reasonable in this context.

Nyanza was progressive on the flat, winning or placing on all five of ther three year old starts, and she stepped up once again for a switch to hurdles. Held up early, she travelled like a seasoned professional and with the exception of the third last, jumped with speed and accuracy. The manner in which she effortlessly cruised through the field towards the end of the back straight was impressive and it was this move that took practically all of her opponents off the bridle and strung them out. There wasn't much substance behind her but her first try over hurdles was most satisfactory and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say she's as good as any filly seen out so far. Goes well in the soft and her stamina assured, she's one to look forward to through the coming months. Officer Drivel is a rather unfortunate soul who's headstrong disposition has cost him on all four of his starts so far. Successfully held up this time, he still pulled heavily in the early stages but in fairness, he jumped well again and unlike his last trip to this course, he had enough left in the tank to run to the line. He would have been no match for the winner even at his best but there was plenty of encouragement from this effort and if he is successfully settled in rear in the future then a race is out there for the taking. Ravenous is nothing if not reliably predictable. Racing prominently and taking turns in the lead, he jumped very nicely but was passed turning for home and made a tired blunder at the last before losing second on the run in. He's beaten eighteen others in his four starts over hurdles so far so there's feasibly a race in him. However, he's in perpetual danger of being headed and whilst a change in tactics might help, he's yet to show a tangible turn of foot either over hurdles or on the flat. Stoneham was a further nine lengths adrift and whilst she managed to win a weak handicap on the flat, she was not much better than selling class. Held up, she wasn't the most natural of jumpers early on but the penny dropped eventually and she wasn't given a hard time when plodding on in the latter stages. She can improve for this effort and whilst it wouldn't be by a great deal, there was enough here to see her run into a place in a low grade affair. Ferngrove had only one start beyond a mile on the flat but stamina wouldn't be an issue on pedigree. He was always chasing the leaders and was still there or there abouts entering the straight but he found it happening all too quickly for him. He didn't necessarily tire and if anything, he just looks slow. He wouldn't make an impact over two miles but it's difficult to see enough class for him to be much more effective over longer. Pretty Mobile wouldn't have been expected to make an impact on her sole flat start as she's bred to be a jumper. Nevertheless, there was no promise on her jumps debut either and will need to improve to pick up prize money. As with his Wetherby run, Worthy Spirit again pulled in the early stages, jumped poorly at a few and faded. Symphony Of Pearls was having her third start and whilst prominent for a short while, her travelling, jumping and finishing offered no encouragement for the future. Gladstone competed for the lead early on but he made a few mistakes and although he kept with them for much of the way, another mistake made him spit his dummy out as it had done at Kempton and was swiftly passed by inferior racehorses. Based on his flat form, his ability to jump some of the hurdles and the confidence in the market, there's blatantly some talent there. However, one imagines that he's very shy about showing it. Loving Your Work won a Newbury handicap in June off 66 which is enough to be competitive at this level. However, he became regressive in his last two starts (which were on soft ground) and that continued here. Making a bizarre shape over the first, he never really jumped fluently and though firmer ground could feasible spark a renaissance, it probably wouldn't be over hurdles in any case. It was doubtful whether the trip would suit Fennann but as it turned out, it was moot since his recalcitrant behaviour re-emerged here today. He's capable of competing but not when he behaves like this.

Plumpton 3rd November

Plumpton's second race of the season was the first juvenile this term ran on heavy. It looked fair beforehand as it featured a previous winner and a pair of newcomers rated in the seventies on the flat. However, it ended up being one of poor quality with most failing to handle the conditions.

Norse Legend had five starts on the flat where, though he wasn't without promise, his rating of just 45 was a fair reflection on what he had shown. Prominent throughout, his first few jumps were anything but those of a natural. It helped that he was taken wide on the ground and in fairness, his jumping improved as the race progressed. Nevertheless, this win goes beyond what he's shown before and trainer Chris Gordon was also surprised with the result. He's out of a winning chaser and can also count Melling Chase runner up Edberg amongst his distant relatives. What's more, he clearly handled the softer ground and was very genuine in battle. There is the adage that there's a race for every horse and it's not likely Norse Dancer will find another opportunity like this for a while, especially under a penalty. But his future does belong in the jumps sphere and he may even make a chaser one day. Making his debut for David Pipe, Rathealy was consistent enough on the flat in Ireland on this kind of ground at distances around a mile and that form was the best from the flat here. On paper, he didn't look like a certain stayer and on this evidence, he probably isn't. The pair finished a distance clear of the third but it was probably the gulf in flat class that kept him so close to the winner at the end. His jumping was acceptable but he wouldn't be a major player in the Pipe yard. Foot Soldier was having his second start over hurdles after running rather creditably on his first racecourse appearance when completely outclassed at Chepstow. His jumping was fine here but he was being ridden from some way out and it says more about how badly the others hadled the conditions than it goes to his credit that he was a clear third. He may improve again for the experience but it doesn't look like he'll make an impact anywhere but in low company. Lord Brantwood was completely outclassed at Cartmel and Market Rasen and his third start in different conditions provided no respite. Although he did reverse tailed off placings with Running Wolf who was also well beaten on his only prior jumps start at Market Rasen. Majestic Sun brought a win and two seconds from the flat for Peter Chapple-Hyam and his rating of 70 was a fair one. He wasn't entirely straight forward though and he he blew his chances here by pulling too hard before finishing completely tailed off. He shouldn't be written off just yet as this wasn't his running but his next run would come with a caution. Relentless Pursuit came here carrying a penalty he picked up at Wetherby. Prior to that win, his stamina had looked questionable and whilst he tried to make all again here, he failed to handle the conditions and faded quickly when headed three out. He is clearly better on firmer ground though it remains to be seen if his Wetherby win was a fluke.

Warwick 5th November

Warwick's first juvenile of the season was supposed to be a clash between All Yours, a Nicholls newcomer from France, and Golden Doyen whom had finished a tight second to Karezak in a fine race at Chepstow. The scale of Golden Doyen's task was diminished significantly with the withdrawal of All Yours but he still had seven rivals to beat and eight hurdles to jump.

Golden Doyen made his first start as a three year old at Chepstow and it was there where he made a fine impression with him and Karezak coming well clear of a decent looking field. On paper, it looked like all he had to do was jump round and he did that foot perfectly, racing prominently and effortlessly pulling clear of his rivals in the straight by sixteen lengths in a time quicker than the opening handicap. There wasn't a great deal learned here, rather this was an explicit confirmation of the promise shown at Chepstow. He's being spoken of in terms of the Triumph and whilst it would be surprising if there won't be a fair few better than him come March, he's still a very exciting prospect at this stage. Aristocracy stepped up on his Fontwell debut when runner up at Ludlow last time and this was another fair effort. He isn't the most fluent of jumpers as he has a habit of seemingly decelerating mid air and whilst it's improved from his Fontwell run, that there's been little improvement in this area from the Ludlow run suggests that this his simply his method. As with the flat though, there are races for him - probably over further in races ran at a slower gallop. Alzammaar is a five race maiden on the flat for Charlie Hills who had some fair form in the spring. Representing the in form Warren Greatrex on his hurdles debut, his jumping, whilst not wholly fluent, was perfectly satisfactory and this, along with the manner in which he secured third, suggests he will improve for this effort. Princess Ombu would be one of the lesser types to have strutted around Seven Barrows. As with Kempton, she took a hold early on and she isn't a natural jumper but this was an improvement at least. Nevertheless, she is clearly limited and would need something like a low grade fillies' hurdle in order to be competitive. Moojaned was a further twenty four lengths behind Princess Ombu. He pulled hard early on and although he stayed prominent for most of the race, he had shot his bolt by the end of the back straight and weakened quickly afterwards. Koliakhova was a dual winner on the flat with an official rating of 77 and hurdling had been the plan for a while. She was last seen in a listed race at Ascot where she sweated and finished tailed off last. She didn't sweat here but she was on her toes and after racing prominently, jumping soundly in the process, she went out like a light. Perhaps there is something amiss but if she's able to return to form, she would be competitive at the right grade. Auf Wiedersehen is closely related to Grade One winning juvenile Hollow Tree but had shown little in two starts on the flat and was off the bridle early here before pulling up at halfway. The Cat had four starts on the flat, two for Nigel Twiston-Davies, and was last seen finishing seventh in a Kempton maiden in January. Taking a keen hold and jumping without fluency, she never travelled and was pulled up in the straight.

Musselburgh 7th November

Opening the second day of Musselburgh's national hunt curtain raiser was a fair juvenile hurdle featuring a blend of placed hurdlers and a few flat winners. Ran on good ground, they went an even gallop throughout and the winning time was comparable to the class two handicap later on the card.

El Beau was John Quinn's third juvenile winner of the season and though his flat form was a little short of that shown by Mr Gallivanter, he is a consistent sort who handles a variety of surfaces. He jumped as well as anything in the field and whilst he took a bit of a hold in the early stages, he travelled very nicely into the business end from a prominent position. There would be a niggling doubt as to the way he carried his head in the closing stages but other than that, this was a nice debut and he can progress from here. On her last two visits to the racecourse, Announcement was withdrawn at Stratford for behavioural reasons and got rid of her jockey at the start last time at Sedgefield as the tapes went up. She jumped off without a hitch on this occasion although she still took a hold and her mind seemed to be in other places. Nevertheless, her jumping was fine at the hurdles she noticed in time and her class saw her in contention approaching the last. However, a blunder cost her momentum and her high head carriage, along with her stopping whilst whipped, suggested that she had no intention of trying to pass the winner. She's capable of winning a race if her mood dictates but that is a big if. Silver Duke was rather unlucky to not lose his maiden tag in a handicap on the flat at this track in October although that race was a seller. Backed from 20s into 10s here for his hurdle's debut, he was still in contention running up the straight before weakening and edging left on the run in. This was a respectable effort for his debut although this looks roughly as good as he is. Deep Resolve managed to win a Southwell maiden in April over seven furlongs but showed he could stay when second in an amateur rider's handicap over a mile and a half at Doncaster. Held up, he make steady progress throughout the race and jumped fair enough leaving scope for improvement. He can be competitive at a low grade, possibly over further and on softer ground. Al Musheer was the disappointment of the race finishing a long way off the first four. Prominent when making an error four our, he did plug on in the front rank and was still in second jumping the third last but he weakened rapidly approaching the next. His first time out of the first three over hurdles, chances are, it won't be getting any easier for him from here. Mitcd cost 6,500gns at Tattersalls in July after a career for Richard Fahey highlighted by a second last May in a maiden auction stakes. She wasn't fluent and was amongst the first beaten, finishing tailed off. Uplifted was another having his first run for Martin Todhunter. There was promise on his debut at Perth but he failed to follow up next time at the same track and he now looks regressive. Blue Talisman bounced back from three poor flat runs to shape with promise on his debut at Wetherby but seemed a bit flat here with the blinkers reapplied and was dismissed by his rivals around the turn for home. His overall profile is an inconsistent one which probably explains this disappointment. Centre Haafhd won twice over six fulongs for David Baron and though stamina was an issue going into this, he was already getting reminders after the first. Never jumping with any fluency from the rear, he was eventually pulled up and wouldn't be another hurdler for his sire.

Sandown 8th November

Sandown's juvenile programme opened with a wide open looking contest with numerous intriguing contenders. However, as it transpired, the two best jumpers developed a long lead along the back and it was between the pair from a long way out.

Baron Alco was second on his only start in an AQPS bumper back in May where it took him a while to get the hang of things. He still looked immature here as he was idling once he hit the front and had to be kept up to his work. Nevertheless, he powered on up the straight and looks sure to improve over time. It was said that he doesn't like ground as soft as this which makes the performance all the more impressive. His sights are likely to be kept low for the time being as he still has plenty to learn but he's a horse with a future in this sphere. The Wallace Line looked a little outclassed on paper but he has improved with every run over hurdles and shaped at Fontwell like a solid test would suit. Ultimately, he found the winner too good but his jumping put a long gap between him and the rest. He's not at the top of the tree but he's proven to be a much better hurdler than a flat horse and should be up to carrying a penalty to victory in a smaller race. Albahar had the best flat form in the field but his attempts on heavy were disappointing and he appeared to blow up here. His jumping wasn't awful but there's room for improvement. It's also worth bearing in mind that Paul Nicholls hasn't had a flying start with his juveniles as of yet so there are plenty of reasons to believe Albahar can step up on this effort. Romulus du Donjon was another French flat import and though he was without a win, his form was of a good standard. He attepted to follow the first two but was found out by his jumping at times which was often slow and untidy and was readily left behind by the third. He's another who can improve with fitness. Little Flo is bred to be a jumper which explains how she left her flat form behind to be second at Fakenham. It was a poor race that day though and she was simply out of her depth here. Liberty Red was jumping imaginary fences in the rear and never looked like getting involved. He was unproven on soft ground but he looked nothing like a natural jumper here and will need to improve leaps and bounds in that department for next time.

Market Rasen 9th November

The fourth Juvenile of the season at Market Rasen was an average contest with the focus on the Paul Nicholls runner, Celestino, who had twice met Top Notch over hurdles in his native France. The times were slow throughout the card indicating an accurate going description of soft.

Blue Atlantic made eight starts on the flat for Mark Johnston, the highlight of which was a shared victory in a Beverley handicap in May. Whilst he started reasonably enough, he was slow and untidy over all of the obstables in the back straight and looked in trouble a long way out. Nevertheless, he regained himself along the long side turn plugged on up the home straight, never looking like being headed once taking the lead. In truth, he beat a gassed horse and reluctant type in the end but it was still a fair performance and he was nothing if not game. He can pick up another one of these under a penalty as long as his sights are kept low. Final Countdown again got warm in the preliminaries and took a keen hold early on. Racing prominently, he travelled better than the remainder and was very much in contention in the straight. Stumbling on landing two out cost him momentum and impetus and he carried his head high for the remainder of the race. This is his third second in as many starts and whilst he's clearly capable of taking a race of this nature, it doesn't appear as though he actively wants to. Celestino came here representing an exciting strand of French hurdles form and for a long way, he looked a cut above these. He jumped fluently from the front and had the rest of the field struggling before the end of the back straight. Approaching the second last, he appeared to have the race at his mercy but he made a tired jump at that flight and though he led at the last, he faded very quickly in what looked like a case of a distinct lack of fitness. As with his other Ditcheat stablemates, he has ran below expectations so he should be able to step up on this and he would be the horse to take from the race. Related to innumerable classy hurdlers and (generously) rated 76 on the flat, there was confidence in the market beforehand for Zarawi who shortened from 13/2 into 9/2. However, a poor jump at the third seemed to take away his enthusiasm as he dropped himself out from there on, completing only in his own time. This probably wasn't his showing but he's clearly got a lot to learn about the game. Berry de Carjac was making his racecourse debut and though he kept up with the field up to halfway, he quickly lost his place before pulling up. Not a lot of encouragement for the distant relative of Exotic Dancer. Lady Bubbles was selling class on the flat and completely lacked any fluency in rear and was well tailed off when trying to refuse when she unseated two out.

Bangor 12th November

Bangor's second juvenile of the season featured representatives from three stables who, between them, have already had eleven winners this term - all of whom had won this race recently. Although it was a maiden contest, the race did feature a horse in the ante post triumph lists. The going was quite testing but there was very little gallop throughout most of the race and the field was still in a bunch three furlongs out.

Chatez came into this race with the second highest RPR achieved by any of this season's juveniles on the flat (102) and had reportedly schooled well. That mark was recorded when winning a £43k mile handicap at Haydock on soft ground in May and soft ground would be the key to this horse. He made an error at the fourth but otherwise, he jumped well enough overall. He travelled easily through the ground following the steady pace and used a telling turn of foot to put the race to bed two out. Being Dandy Man's first runner over jumps, there were stamina doubts coming into the contest and to be honest, they weren't definitively dismissed as a result of this win due to the nature of the race. He isn't short on speed or ability though at the Adonis at Kempton has already been suggested as a long term target. Top Of The Glas is another whose best flat form came at around a mile on the flat though he was around half a stone short of Chatez overall. He pulled a fair bit but not alarmingly so and though he was blatantly outpaced by the winner, he finished clear of the rest. His jumping was also satisfactory and he looks another nice recruit for the Brian Ellison yard. Guard Of Honour was the most experienced of the field over hurdles and whilst is attitude is highly dubious, his ability is not. He took a soft lead and went at a pace accordant to his whims but he wasn't fluent at several of his obstacles. He is not a world beater by any means but can still run into a few more places at this level. Sindarban cost £42,000 at the September sales and looked booked for second when falling at Sedgefield last month. He was winded on that occasion and it seemed to affect his confidence here as he put in a sketchy jump at the first and took a keen hold for much of the rest of the race making several errors along the way. He wasn't without talent on the flat but he doesn't seem to be taking to his new profession. Adrakhan was making his racecourse debut and was Dan Skelton's first juvenile runner of the season. Being related to winners in France, he's bred to be a national hunt horse and he didn't seem too ill at ease on the racetrack. His jumping was a mixed bag so there is obvious scope for improvement here but there was little to suggest he'll be up to winning soon. Stream Of Light was poor on the flat and started at 150/1 here for her debut in a six runner maiden. She was able to keep up with the slow gallop for most of the race but was quickly beaten when push came to shove.

Ludlow 13th November

Ludlow's third juvenile of the season was a very classy one for the venue. Not only did it feature a previous course and distance winner and a half brother to Lac Fontana but it also saw the return of the easiest (and probably the most enigmatic) winner seen so far this season. The ground was good to soft, soft in places, the principals distanced themselves from the lesser types at an early stage and the winning time was almost four seconds quicker than the decent mares' hurdle half an hour later.

Stars Over The Sea was an emphatic winner at Kempton despite some highly dubious jumping but he improved on that front chasing a strong gallop and actually put in some impressively fast jumps along the way. He still made a couple of blunders and landed on all fours at a couple but these errors don't seem to cost him any momentum and it could well be his own unique style. One would still like to see his technique brushed up when he takes on the bigger races but the manner in which he took this was emphatic. Easing into the lead at four out, he was well in command on the home turn and quickly put distance between himself and his opponents with a single nudge of the reins before bounding clear on the bridle. Sternrubin disappointed over course and distance when beaten favourite in early October but put up a more honest effort in first time headgear. He settled and jumped better on this occasion for Richard Johnson and although there is still room for improvement, he was the last of the beaten horses off the bridle. He ultimately finished tired, was put in his place by the winner and was held in third when left in the second two out but this was a step in the right direction and he can improve again. Moojaned was the first of the leading group of five to come under pressure but he stuck on past the tiring Drifter to take third near the finish and this was his best effort to date in any discipline despite finishing thirty-five lengths off the winner. He's obviously of a low class but he now has enough experience to compete at his level. Drifter won a claimer here last month by jumping off at the front and using his jumping skills to win by eight lengths. This was a different level of competition entirely and he was unable to utilise those tactics to the same effect. There are other contests for him though albeit at a much lower level. Running Wolf was having his second run in ten days and as with his excursions over hurdles, was always behind. He settled better than last time but that's the only encouragement at this stage. Sea The Springs is a half brother to Cristal Bonus and was making his racecourse debut. He found things happening way too quickly early on, was rather cautious at his early jumps and made a howling blunder four out. He can feasibly step up given his lack of experience but he has a lot to prove. En Reve was selling class at best on the flat and was never on terms here. All Yours had the one start on the flat in France when fourth in a Chantilly contest for unraced colts and geldings before being sent to Paul Nicholls. He was of blatant interest being a half brother to the classy Lac Fontana. His jumping was adequate for a debutant and was booked for second when slightly unfortunate to fall two out after losing his footing on landing. He can step up for this experience and given that his yard has yet to have a juvenile winner this season, he remains a prospect of reasonable interest.

Thanks Colin, Benny and Wilson! There's over 11,000 words there and some of it is a little dated but I hope you enjoy reading it and if there's anything you disagree with there then feel free to criticise :)

Today's juvenile is the first of the season to be ran at Cheltenham and it looks deeply intriguing. In terms of experienced horses, Golden Doyen and Unanimite would be right at the top of the tree for this season and the only horses missing from the UK would be Karezak, Stars Over The Sea (ran on Thursday) and maybe an on song Goodbye Dancer. It's a bit of a shame that Alan King doesn't have a runner given the strength of his team and Paul Nicholls is still missed despite his slow start but everybody else has turned up to the party. The following is today's trainer's records in this race;-

N Henderson
2013 1. Royal Irish Hussar
2012 2. Vasco de Ronceray
2011 5. Ozeta
2010 5. Titan de Sarti
2010 2. Grandouet
2008 5. Giorgio Quercus
2005 2. Afsoun
D Pipe
2013 3. Azza
2007 8. Sainte Kadette
2006 8. Prince Ary
N Twiston-Davies
2008 9. Rory Boy
2006 5. Pigeon Island
2005 6. Patman du Charmil
P Hobbs
2008 4. Nampour
2005 1. Fair Along
J Quinn
2010 10. Palawi

In this race's short history (inaugurated in 2004) Guitar Pete, Far West, Grandouet, Barizan, Franchoek, Won In The Dark, Katchit and Fair Along all finished in the top three both in this race and the big one in March so despite it being so early in the season, it is a remarkably potent indicator. As far as this season's Triumph goes, Hargam (16/1) Golden Doyen (33/1) Unanimite (33/1) are the only of today's declarations listed in the ante-post market but if more are not added after today then one of these will be the clear favourite come four o'clock.

It makes sense to start with the current joint favourite for the Triumph. Hargam is this season's undisputed hype horse and the force behind his being Triumph favourite would be partially down to the words of Anthony Bromley in Mark Howard's brilliant annual publication and his inclusion in the "Top Forty" where he is mentioned in the same breath as Binocular (for reference purposes, three juveniles were in the "Top 40 prospects" lists in the last three releases - Dildar, For Two and 2011 winner of this race Hinterland). As far as public, quantifiable evidence goes, Hargam had three starts on the flat running for Alain de Royer Dupré in the Aga Khan colours. He made his debut in the historic Prix Juigné at Longchamp where he finished half a length second to Grand Prix De Paris third and Prix Niel runner up Teletext. Next time out, he broke his duck at Longchamp where though he won by the narrowest of margins, the second, third and fourth all won next time out - the runner up taking a Group Three at Longchamp. Stepped down in trip, he was beaten into a close fourth in the listed Prix Matchem at Maisons Laffitte but he wasn't disgraced, it was a bona fide listed contest and was purchased for JP McManus shortly afterwards. In all, his flat form is as good as anything brought into the juvenile hurdle ranks and in terms of size and ability to handle soft, it's difficult to not be excited by this prospect. Naturally, when looking at a hype horse, one naturally wants to poke holes and the obvious go-to's would be that he hasn't jumped in public (although he is the subject of good reports), Nicky Henderson has only had the one juvenile so far this term (the below average Princess Ombu) and unusually for an Aga Khan horse, there is a dearth of jumpers in his pedigree but his sire, Sinndar, is more than capable of producing classy hurdlers, Diakali and Mourad being the standouts - both of whom performed as juveniles. Perhaps the most telling element in favour of Hargam is the fact that he's been chosen to represent his yard here over dual winner Top Notch.Baraka de Thaix is the other interesting newcomer. Like Hargam, he comes from across the channel but he's taken a very different route - the AQPS bumper route. A winner of his debut at Lignieres (Orange colours and noseband) where the runner up subsequently took a similar contest at Moulins, he was since third at Pornichet La Baule and Strasbourg. The form isn't as easy to quantify as Hargam's although the fact that there haven't been winners coming out of the races Baraka de Thaix was defeated in suggests there isn't a great substance to it. He has joined a top yard in David Pipe and it is very intriguing that despite identical connections, Tom Scudamore has opted to ride this over Unanimite. Last week, Baron Alco won on his UK debut from the AQPS ranks and if nothing else, the Pipe newcomer will be sure to jump and stay but by that token, the yard has already had a runner with a similar profile in Brook who was a soundly beaten fourth in the hot Chepstow contest. Glasgow Central's third behind Prince Of Stars at Chester in May would read well in the context of an ordinary race and he has joined a top yard but it isn't a yard in the same sphere as Pipe and Henderson in terms of juveniles and his form hasn't been standing up recently. Eminent Poet will be the first representative of the season for the brilliant Montjeu and he is a half brother to decent hurdler Orzare. However, this is his first appearance in public and this is too hot a company to be making one's debut in, particularly when one considers how disappointing the yard's first juvenile runner was last week. Haleo is a six race maiden on the flat who hasn't been seen since July and was beaten in a Yarmouth seller on his penultimate start.

The experienced horses are headed by the Philip Hobbs trained Golden Doyen who's impressed on both of his starts so far over hurdles. Coming back after a long absence for his debut at Chepstow, his jumping was very much eyecatching as was his attitude in defeat to Karezak in a race which was very much the strongest up to that point. Nothing new was learned at Warwick ten days ago, rather the impression he made at Chepstow was validated and that he is a horse with an engine and a fantastic ability to jump. The form of the Philip Hobbs yard so far at this year's meeting is another positive and it would appear, hasn't gone unnoticed by the betting public. Nevertheless, Golden Doyen was nowhere near as good on the flat as Hargam and there's already at least one horse better than him out there in Karezak. All the same, with his form and experience, he is entitled to the highest respect at this stage. After showing above average form over jumps in France for Guillaume Macaire, L'Aigle Royal made his debut in a weak contest at Sedgefield last month. He struggled for pace for much of the race and actually took a while to hit his stride but in truth, he was always going to win easily even before he was left well clear and his jumping was impeccable which is a word very rarely used for a juvenile. It is interesting that John Quinn has opted to sent him here as he doesn't give the impression of a Triumph horse but he did state after the Sedgefield race that he wanted to get experience into the horse. L'Aigle Royal is very much a horse with a future in the sport and has to be respected even in this company but chances are there will be more appropriate prizes further down the line - particularly without a double penalty. Unanimite was consistent on the flat in France if around a stone behind Hargam in terms of class but he was impressive when making a winning debut for the yard at Market Rasen. On that day, he beat the best field to date with ease jumping fluently throughout. He was slightly disappointing next time however at Aintree where he was beaten by Starchitect. Whilst he wasn't disgraced, his jumping left and drifting on the flat cost him the race and though he was the best horse in the race, the penalty he carried there proved decisive and Tom Scudamore has opted to ride Baraka de Thaix in any case. Magic Magnolia has been this season's Cinderella story without question. Hopeless on the flat, she looked more capable over hurdles without quite looking like a winner but after a brilliant ride from Tom Cannon, was able to finish second in a weak listed contest in brave fashion. An admirable sort who deserves a race, but today won't be her day.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
1. Hargam
2. Golden Doyen
3. Baraka de Thaix

Baraka de Thaix 2/2 Harmonie Tresor 4th Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris (G1), Auteuil 2001
Haleo 2/1 High Plains 1st Champion Novice Hurdle, Punchestown 1987
Glasgow Central 3/3 Cass Bligh 3rd Handicap Hurdle (134), Fairyhouse 2012
Eminent Poet .5 Orzare 3rd Holloway’s Hurdle (G2.130), Ascot 2012
Golden Doyen .5 Goldhans 1st Premio Steeplechase d'Italia (Listed), Merano (2/2 Goldtaucher)
Unanimite 2/1 Barents 1st Conditions Hurdle, Lyon Parilly 2013
L'Aigle Royal 1/0 Laren 1st Stall Jenny-Cup Finale Hurdle (Listed), München 2005
Hargam 3/2 Vocative 1st Juvenile Hurdle, Haydock 2005
Magic Magnolia No jumps relatives - American Bred

Sires
Eminent Poet - Montjeu (10)
Hargam - Sinndar (5)
Magic Magnolia - Azamour (4)
Haleo - Halling (2)
Golden Doyen - Doyen (2)
Glasgow Central - Rail Link (1)
Baraka de Thaix - Dom Alco
Unanimite - Kentucky Dynamite
L'Aigle Royal - Sholokhov

Thank you CL :)

Also, just in case anybody hasn't noticed, when blue text appears then you can click on it and it will show a clip of the race in question.

A tremendous race. Halfway up the run in I was thinking I should have followed your advice BH but I think Golden Doyen's experience plus Dickie Johnson's strength in the finish allowed him to prevail.

Anyway top quality thread really enjoying your superb analysis

This thread is incredible...

Any form even remotely related to the machine that is Bonito Du Berlais should be going off much shorter than 5/4!

Kalkir
Montmartre 2/1 Kotkijet 1st GSdP (G1), Auteuil 2001/2004 (.5 Kotkita 1/2 Katenko)
Grand Prix de Paris winner Montmartre has his first crop of jumpers this season and so far, 66% of his hurdlers have finished placed. Being a paternal grandson of Sadler's Wells, he ought to make it as a sire of hurdlers and of his first crop, none will be better bred than Kalkir. Running for Guillaume Macaire, Kalkir had his only start in the aforementioned Auteuil race contested by Marracudja, finishing just under two lengths behind leading juvenile Bonito du Berlais.
(Dark blue, white hoop, dark blue cap, white star)

Back