Kauto Star

I should like to see him retired but to suggest he ran only to the low 160s in the KG and Betfair strikes me as bollocks
:D - you might be right, Ardross!

Long Run was undoubtedly overrated in his winning year but I doubt his decline was quite that steep .

KS did not need to be anywhere near his best to win the race but I suspect he ran to a low 170s figure.

That King George is about as ropey a race to hang a 170-rating on as I can imagine. Only two horses gave their running - the others bombing or failing to stay - and it needs treated with utmost caution from a form viewpoint.

In my opinion. :cool:

Last edited:
Smith told the Daily Mail: "The idea is to see where we are in a month to six weeks. Clifford Baker (Nicholls' head lad) rides him every day - if anybody is going to know it is him."

Nicholls said: "We will give him a month's work and then Clive and I will have a chat. There is only one possible race he can run in and that is the King George. He would not be ready for the Betfair Chase (at Haydock on November 24)."

He could keep going another couple of years if they just ran him in the King George and then put him away. He's past the Gold Cup now, of course, and there's nothing else for him. Just target that race a couple more times, he loves it there. Horses like See More Business ran up to being almost 14, Kauto can do it too.

Sabin du Loir won at the festival as a 4yo beating Dawn Run and if I am not mistaken he was retired after beating Garrison Savannah among others as a 13yo at Wincanton.

Kauto Star set for a new career

Yogi Breisner is to work with Kauto Star on his new dressage career after Christmas. Owner Clive Smith said: “He is just too good to be a hack or run around a field.”

Good luck to the old boy.

Sabin du Loir won at the festival as a 4yo beating Dawn Run and if I am not mistaken he was retired after beating Garrison Savannah among others as a 13yo at Wincanton.

Indeed ,a superb horse and what he might have been but for injury after his 4 year old career- he gave Dawn Run a beating in the Sun Alliance and that can be found on YT - he was idling all the way up the run in and much too good for her on the day.

Last edited:
KS been removed from Ditcheat today and sent to Laura Collett for dressage.
Would have been much better at home, being ridden out by Clifford and Donna and teaching the young horses.

Shame on Clive Smith, obviously all that Ditcheat did for him went unappreciated.

Shame on Clive Smith, obviously all that Ditcheat did for him went unappreciated.

You're right, Ditcheat got nothing from Kauto Star; training fees, enormous prize money, the best horse we had seen in 30 years, Nicholls constant need to be noticed by the press was almost fed by this horse alone, Master Minded from the same owner and on and on.

Shame on Clive Smith! Boo!

Please could someone explain what all the fuss is about? Horse belongs to Clive Smith as far as I can tell. He's retired from racing and is now doing something else. Can't see the problem.

Its the owners horse. Its his call. Im sure if they wanted to buy him off Clive they could have. Though tbh i dont think he'll make a dressage horse!

Its the owners horse. Its his call. Im sure if they wanted to buy him off Clive they could have. Though tbh i dont think he'll make a dressage horse!

I can see a phone call coming on. From your good self to Clive Smith asking for a loan of Kauto for that charity race you've entered. :D

wonder how it went from him leaving after xmas to him leaving right now. get the feeling nicholls or someone may have not been too pleased at smith's career choice for kauto and a falling out ensued.

a suggestion of some kind of loyalty due here from an owner..i'm confused

i were told on here by many owners a while back that the trainer/jockey does what they are told by the owners.....even if its the daftest tactical advice ever given..they pay the bills..their word is God etc.

can't see this is any different..the guy owns the horse..up to him isn't it?

It's all a bit of an unseemly episode, and an avoidable distraction at a time when connections would be better served paying tribute to Kauto Star's legacy.

IIRC, Moscow Flyer went into dressage not long after his retirement from racing (Brave Inca too, I think, Cantoris?), with connections all acting in a very matter-of-fact way about it. It's a shame that Smith and Ditcheat have allowed this pantomime to develop - it was much easier to act gracefully.

What pantomime has Smith been party to though?

Yet again Nicholls being self centered, using the media, throwing his toys out of the pram again. He's made a bit of a spectacle of himself, and you're right in saying today's headlines should be about the horse, but Nicholls has made them about him.

Hardly the first time.

Smith may be entirely innocent in all of this, I concede - I'm maybe inferring too much from what I've read here.

Maybe it's a case of an upset stable-lass posting an inadvisable crie de couer on Twitter.....which then snowballed?

Dunno. At the very least, it looks like poor message-management at Dicheat. The point made about it being an avoidable distraction still stands. Whether there is any intended malice in the exchanges? I'm not so sure.

I'm really disappointed in Nicholls over this. If Clive Smith had been promising all along that Kauto would retire to Ditcheat and had suddenly reneged on that, I could understand the reaction but there's no suggestion of anything like that. It sounds as though Nicholls has assumed/hoped that Kauto would remain at the yard (maybe has made a few rash statements to his staff along those lines, hence the aggrieved tweets?) and now that Clive has announced his plan for Kauto, the toys are sailing out of the pram.

It's lovely to see that the Ditcheat team genuinely care about the old boy but some of the comments quoted in the RP come across as a bit over-proprietorial. Plus all that "we didn't even get to say goodbye" bleating, presumably meant to make Clive Smith look bad, seems to miss or overlook the fact that it was Nicholls himself who insisted on the early departure, presumably in a fit of pique that he didn't get his own way.

In simplistic terms dressage is like Pilates or yoga for horses; it keeps them supple, teaches them to carry themselves in the most biomechanically efficient way and stimulates the brain by teaching them new exercises and movements. In that regard, it's probably no bad thing for keeping Kauto fit and active into what will hopefully be a long and healthy retirement. Just a shame that what should have been a sad-but-proud moment has been overshadowed by Nicholls's ego.

Last edited:
haha - he's not fast enough. :lol:

Precedents
1 Dessie defeating Mr Frisk in Cheltenham Charity match
( as a 13yo ?)
2 Moscow Flyer winning Charity race in Punchestown as 13yo; Katie's first win.
3 Montys Pass winning Mallow charity race 1m 6f ridden by Mrs Jimmy Mangan, setting a course record
4 Kauto Star 13yo ridden by OTB ?
Go for it OTB!

Back