Kicking King Retired

As I said, it used to be that the forum was used by people with a greater understanding of horse racing than other racing forums. It was one of the reasons that the forum was worth persevering with. But it is slowly coming just like the rest.

Gareth,

If it was so obvious what Garney meant (it wasn't immediate to me, nor Clive), then why did you ask him specifically?

Back to topic ... and not wanting DJ to be dug out of the hole he's found himself in :) I think Azertuiyop in the KG was a non-stayer, though not to an extreme extent. What was KK ahead before the last?

I feel I am letting down Alan Morgan in this thread

Your english teacher?

Anyway, it was impressive that he ran so well after the Gc but im not sure its quite such the achievement you are making it out to be. The Gc was a weak field (not his fault) and he was barely tested in some respects. but also I can recall the likes of Garrison Savanah running huge races in the GC and the National not that many years ago

As fine as it was, it still cannot compare with Kautos season for me.

Andrew,

I am making a polite request. Please reinstate the post I made on this thread which you have deleted.

Arthur O'Malley

Grey,

If you want to discuss the topic, all posts will remain. If you want to take it off topic after I ask to get things back on track, it will be deleted.

Grey,

If you want to discuss KK, the KG or the merits of Azertiuyop, then post away until your heart's content.

If you don't and want to continue as you are, then your posts will be deleted.

I was making a point about your behaviour on this thread. The obvious context for making such a point is here. I ask you once again, please restore the post of mine which you have deleted.

but also I can recall the likes of Garrison Savanah running huge races in the GC and the National not that many years ago

GS wasn`t in the same league as KK. He beat an exposed The Fellow by a short head in the Gold Cup and couldn`t even win a National off 11-1.

Aside from War of Attrition and Kicking King, the other horses since '88 to run after winning in the same season were:

Cool Dawn, Master Oats, The Fellow, Cool Ground, Garrison Savannah, Desert Orchid.

Dessie apart, the others didn't win too many more races. On the other side you've got Kauto, Best Mate, See More Business.

Such are the limitations of the RP database that you can't go back far enough to see if there's a definite correlation, though.

I thought Kicking King had Azertyuiop well beat before stamina came into play. Early down the back straight when Kicking King was sent on Walsh was begining to squeeze Azertyuiop up.

Yep gone, definitely was up there previously!!

Love to see his Durkan run again, just remember his jumping being so impressive that day.

A 3 length beating of Kingscliff that was value for 8 or 9 but for the silly mistake at the last. And we saw what Kingscliff could do in the following years betfair chase when he fancied it.

A Kingscliff that was making his return to the track after a year off and who didn't run again for months afterwards. If both horses were fully fit I've little doubt we would have seen a different result.

3 miles around Kempton and Kicking King would eat Kingscliff alive any day. Too many gears for him on a track like that and remember it would have been closer to 10 lengths bar the last fence blunder...whats more Kingscliff generally went well fresh.

In rating Kicking King at 182, Timeform were compelled to give Kingscliff a rating of 175. There is no way that Kingscliff was ever a 175 horse. The performance was rated through Azertyuiop, and frankly, it is far more plausible that Azertyuiop failed to see out the trip (and that the rating is therefore erroneous), than to believe that Kingscliff ran to a rating of 175.

I take nothing away from Kicking King - he was a top-class staying chaser - but the C&H rating of 182 is too high - simple as that.

I would agree 182 is too high for that run. Like I said I think he best ever performance was in the Durkan Chase.

Back