Kieren Fallon

The interview on the RP website is interesting to watch: he looks fit and ready to go. He names a number of yards he has been riding out for and I would think there would be very trainers who wouldn't use him if he was available after any retained jockeys. I think it will be good to have him back - whatever you think of him as a person, as a jockey he can be awesome to watch. I hope he stays cleans and proves himself. He cites Alan Munro as a good example to him how you can come back after a break when you are older. His one concern was lack of race practise for the few weeks as you cannot replicate those conditions on a work ride.

Really looking forward to seeing him back.

It's incredible to think of the length of ban he recêived for something that has nothing to do with racing, and compare it with the 'bans' handed out to Burke, etc.

you mean being under the infuence of drugs and riding your horse does not have anything to with racing ? well, i can only hope you would think differently if he were to ride your horse.

I haven't trusted Fallon since his younger days when he associated with the likes of Ramsden and others. I'd rather he was given a lifetime ban, or exiled to America.

fully agree. burke&co basicly admitted to be guilty as the police tried to charge them in this infamous trial, and I too never trused him and though racing was just great without him.

you mean being under the infuence of drugs and riding your horse does not have anything to with racing ? well, i can only hope you would think differently if he were to ride your horse.

I doubt very much he was taking Cocaine before jumping aboard a horse.

Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug.

The public perception of racing is that its full of bent jockeys hanging around with second rate criminals putting together seedy little plots to con the punters. Its a big problem as other sports continue to eat away into racing's market share

KF's return will hardly change that... Its without question that he has mixed with some real scum

Whether KF is trouble or not, the sport gains far more from ridding itself of rubbish than it loses in losing talent

No, for all the races he has, in my opinion, thrown.
Well he must have sat on a hell of a lot of good things for people to make comments like that, as undoubtably you don't become champion jockey without riding a good few winners. I'd say "for all the races" he won i'd rate him no lower than some of the other questionable people in the sport.

Fallon will remain a controversial subject and will always have his followers and his detractors.

It's complicated for sure.

He rode for us and we found him helpful, polite, fun, witty and extremely informative. He went out of his way to do what he could for us, and he always remembered us. Would use him again in a flash. I'm not saying he is without blame, I worked in PR in the US and spent years with musicians who were gifted, but self destructive in equal measures. Know the type only too well. Most Leopards do not change their spots and he may be one of those.

However many of my best memories of racehorses are with Fallon in the saddle. When he was riding well I think watching him was a joy. I wish him all the best. Johnny Murtagh sorted himself out so you never know ..... the Fallon story is not over yet.

On ATR they asked Fallon to name one horse he would love to ride. Rather interestingly he named Age Of Aquarius in the Leger.

The public perception of racing is that its full of bent jockeys hanging around with second rate criminals putting together seedy little plots to con the punters.

It's largely because betting and horses have been synonymous with each other for centuries, but the likes of Snooker, Tennis, and Football haven't gone unscathed in the last 12 months, and something like lower grade boxing has been rife with stories for nearly as long as racing

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to him returning. IMO he was head and shoulders above the rest. I tried very hard to get him on any number of my horses but it was impossible to get past his agent who was very good at his job. I chatted a couple of times with him in the weighing room and found him very pleasant and friendly - he kept saying I'll ride your horses one day, just persevere.

Lets face it if he was involved in the whole Betfair thing to the extent that was made out and it got to the Old Bailey, surely and instinctively this either says the prosecution was incorrect, (and following the recent disciplinary that is not the case) or someone pulled some strings to get Fallon out of it. Incidentally an acquittal can still go back to court and judging by recent events I should imagine someone is offically keeping tabs, a lot of money amongest other things went into the trial and it seems on first impressions it served to distance Fallon from those involved. I would have been interested to see what the defence would have said on all of them and not just Fallon.

Lets face it if he was involved in the whole Betfair thing to the extent that was made out and it got to the Old Bailey, surely and instinctively this either says the prosecution was incorrect, (and following the recent disciplinary that is not the case) or someone pulled some strings to get Fallon out of it. Incidentally an acquittal can still go back to court and judging by recent events I should imagine someone is offically keeping tabs, a lot of money amongest other things went into the trial and it seems on first impressions it served to distance Fallon from those involved. I would have been interested to see what the defence would have said on all of them and not just Fallon.

The case seemed to me to be built around races such as Ballinger Ridge...little chance of it lasting if that is the type of race they were looking at Toobe. Did not need any "strings pulled" for that.

So if Fallon was winning on his rides or most of them why was he dragged into it. This I feel would bring into the equation that the reason of his involvement was to highlight the case.

Lets face it if he was involved in the whole Betfair thing to the extent that was made out and it got to the Old Bailey, surely and instinctively this either says the prosecution was incorrect, (and following the recent disciplinary that is not the case)
The end result of the case does say the prosecution was incorrect.

Following the "recent disciplinary" (for him taking banned substances) has nothing to do with and proves nothing of the prosecutions case at the old bailey.

If i've misinterpreted you please let me know.

Well he must have sat on a hell of a lot of good things for people to make comments like that, as undoubtably you don't become champion jockey without riding a good few winners. I'd say "for all the races" he won i'd rate him no lower than some of the other questionable people in the sport.

In my opinion, many more jockeys have thrown many more races than KF but he is higher profile therefore I notice him more. I always had to think twice before backing a Fallon horse unless it was in a G1, and even then he made some terrible mistakes.

I mean the disciplinary with Rodgers etc, not the drug thing and some of the horses in that were also included in the trial

Let's be clear: the case against Fallon was thrown out of court because the evidence produced by the prosecution was, to be kind, utterly feeble.

Back