King George 2009

doesn't know how to win - do you think?

I had him down as a really honest sort, but not so sure now after that. Did nothing wrong really but just looked a bit unwilling. Ask is a decent horse but I am disappointed he was not a fair bit superior to him.

I've never held the opinion that Tartan Bearer is top class, regardless of his proximity to good horses in good races.

I think he is probably a bit better than I gave him credit for as I didn't expect him to place. Did very well to get so close to the winner who I've always thought was genuinely top class.

removing the jiggery pokery about pace and right handed stuff - the winner was the one I suppose - too short for me...why they bothered with 10f when he can be winning 12f races is a mystery..he needs every inch of 12f

Anyone give Conduit much of a chance in the Arc?

I thought Golden Sword ran very flat from early on...its tough for a three year old in a race like this particularly with 4 runs (including two Derbys) behind him. Wouldnt be in my mind for the Leger now either.

Conduit would have strong place claims in the Arc but I think the French will have one or two too good.

I think Golden Sword has run a couple of crackers this season but he's not in the league of a STS or Fame and Glory - he seems to place/run well in a lot of big races without ever actually winning (Chester Vase aside) :(

TB definitely better than I thought but probs likely to fall short in the very best company.

I thought Golden Sword ran very flat from early on...its tough for a three year old in a race like this particularly with 4 runs (including two Derbys) behind him. Wouldnt be in my mind for the Leger now either.

Aquarius seems to be the one that's following the Leger route

I was luke warm on Tartan Bearer before the race.... not much better now.

I was a big fan of Conduit before the race...still am.

:D

I'd be surprised if Alwaary was good enough. Even if you put him alongside Doctor Fremantle in the Princess of Wales, it still leaves him with 7 or 8 lb to find with the best of these. I'd far rather have seen him go the Lucarno route of Voltigeur and Leger, I think he'd have a good chance in that.

Cracking effort from Alwaary and it is bizarre he is still a bigger price than Golden Sword for the St Leger. I have no hesitation in nominating him as the one to beat. The way he was closing gradually on the first 3 suggests he'll have no problems with the trip.

... which would tie in nicely about what we said about him going into the race.

AND it pays a very handsome compliment to the Eclipse figures.

EC1, I thought better of you than to resort to conspiracy theories! Does one have to be present at Ascot 24/7 for a week previous to a race to keep watch on whether or not they've watered selectively? Why can't you just take someone's word for it rather than guessing?

I was a big fan of Tartan Bearer before the race....not now.

I was luke warm on Conduit before the race...still am.

Totally the same. Tartan Bearer just not as good as I thought he was and with Look Here being handled by a second rate trainer Conduit didn't really have much to beat. Disappointing King George.

EC1, I thought better of you than to resort to conspiracy theories! Does one have to be present at Ascot 24/7 for a week previous to a race to keep watch on whether or not they've watered selectively? Why can't you just take someone's word for it rather than guessing?

I think you will find that only you suggested selective watering, I never mentioned it..i said..watering when rain was forecast

no consipracy at all..and at the main meeting he had one side of the course lengths faster than the other..thats fact..not conspiracy

instead of sticking up for these idiots..you should be condemning them..they are killing the game as a betting medium

there is far too much gone native involved in many threads on here sometimes..sticking up for wrongdoers etc..

start looking at the game from the outside..its getting to be a laughing stock ...maybe you don't care about the gambling side..I don't know

Cheers eveyrone

I've just got back from Ascot and it was a fantastic day, there was so many beautiful women i couldn't believe it.

start looking at the game from the outside..its getting to be a laughing stock ...maybe you don't care about the gambling side..I don't know
This is very true, even the pin stickers in the pub are losing interest, scratch cards give them more chance of a return now.

I think the suggestions that Tartan Bearer may not be a battler are unfair. It's only two runs since he won at Sandown in the most genuine fashion imaginable. He ran to the line yesterday but was beaten by a slightly better horse at the trip.

Back