King George 2009

Is Freemantle an intended runner? I presume not as he's 199 on Betfair.

I think the idea would be to use him as a second pacemaker for GS and FF, partly running in his own right. Small chance on best form anyway.

I don't think he'll run, suspect Rockhampton will tear off at the start, Golden Sword will hang back a bit, and Frozen Fire will wait out the back and hope it all falls into his lap.

Conduit and Look Here should enjoy that scenario.

If Freemantle does run, I can see him taking the Golden Sword position in the above scenario. Would be odd for them to hold Golden Sword up after his last few runs, though.

Regarding Masterofthehorse who is on his way to Qatar, he has turned up at the 6-day stage for the Gordon for his new (and presumably temporary) trainer Miss D. Mountain.

Ask is fine, he just stood on a stone and was foot sore. He cantered but didn't gallop this morning and his rider was pleased with him, he will be looked at in the morning but at the moment he runs.

It always amazes me how, out of all the horses in training and taking into account the number in the race field, how when group races occur a runner always manages to find a good stone to bruise his foot on. Sometimes I do wonder and ASK who is the more intelligent the trainer or the horse!!!!!

I don't know of many horses that would gallop 3 days before a big race. Nothing more than a swinger at any rate.

Stoute always gives them a 4f blast up Warren Hill prior to their races, always has done. He gave Conduit and TB the blast yesterday morning with different leads. Ask had a steady hack on the AB.

Ask O. Peslier
Conduit (IRE)Ryan Moore
Frozen Fire (GER)J. A. Heffernan
ScintilloRichard Hughes
Tartan Bearer (IRE)M. J. Kinane
Look HereSeb Sanders
Alwaary (USA)R. Hills
Golden SwordJ. Murtagh
Rockhampton (IRE)C. O'Donoghue

Stoute seems very happy with Conduit so he may well justify the odds... but I just keep coming back to Look Here. I'm glad Ask looks like lining up he will really relish a strong test and given he goes with the pace must have a chance as he'll outstay all of these. Peslier could suit him okay.

Last edited:
If you cannot basically open a horses lungs or increase heart rate 3 days before it runs, you should not be running it as it isn't fit.

I didn't say that, did I Toobe? I didn't say anything that resembles the point you seem to think you are addressing. As I said in my initial post, a horse isn't going to do much more than a swinger three days before a big race, which is borne out by Flame's answer that they have a 4f blast. That's not quite the same as having a gallop in the usual sense of the word in that they do a piece of work. By three days before a race there is the square root of bugger all you can do to improve a horses fitness and the last thing you want to do is give them a hard piece of work so close to a race.

I didn't say a hard piece of work. the point I believe that I made was that if you couldn't give the horse an opener you should not be running it. This would be down to the ratio time of recovery, from the said opener, to when it runs and on the physical equations of such. If the horse cannot recover in this space of time, it is not fit and in my opinion should not run. It is more about opening lung capacity as oppose to muscle building. Lets face it Lynford Christie didn't just go for a jog round the corner in a build up to any sprint race.

Getting back to the point...

Think Conduit is far too short. His races successes look good on paper but are not nearly as impressive when looked at on merit. I think Tartan Bearer is the one and he will be hard to beat but should be up to emulating his older brother Golan who was second in the Epsom Derby but came back to win a King George the following year.

Well for starters I didn't mention anything to do with fitness and I think you're missing the point entirely with the comment I made initially about not galloping them so son before a race.

What was your point then, as far as I see my comments are more in line with yours not in contrast.

the ground at Ascot is timing at Good/soft today

the ground was watered earlier in the week even though rain was forecast

don't bother backing fast ground horses there

one of the truer run races today was 10f handicap won by Fanjura..a 95 horse carrying 9-7..should have equalled the RP standard if ground is good..was 3.65 seconds slower than standard...thats clear G/S territory

Last edited:
Back