King George 2009

another shambles DO

there is no point looking at weather forecasts and trying to assess any big meetings goings anymore with the currect watering policy

it suits bookmakers too much for punters to be in the dark re the going..the watering of courses isn't done for horse welfare..its for monetary reasons.

I think one of the AOB runners will set a decent pace. FF will pull like a frigger if they go none. A slow pace will be totally against Conduit as well.

they will run the race to suit Golden Sword, imo they won't gear it to FF as he isn't a reliable propostion..which is why Murtagh is riding GS...they might give a lead to GS but it won't be a breakneck pace..this will damage the chances of Conduit for one. Conduit is a lay just on the pace scenario, as is LH.

Last edited:
Conduit is a lay just on the pace scenario, as is LH.

I'm not going down the route of trying to predict what Ballydoyle will do, because when they try and be too clever they feck it up anyway. I'm going on the form and that suugests Look Here should be 5 tops.

I expect to be buzzing after Roaring Forte lands the big handicap that precedes the KG anway so what will be will be.

Any evidence that the watering has been 'selective'?

Do the times from yesterday suggest either side is favoured?

They came down the middle on the straight track yesterday after turftrax reported it faster (by a neglible amount) there.

I can absolutely assure you that there has been no selective watering. DJ is right, turftrax reported it slightly faster down the middle prior to racing, but identical on both stands and the far side.

Whats all this absolutely assure you stuff SL..are you there all the time?

the fact he watered at all is absolutely stupid..the mans a plank full stop

I don't understand how a group of punters can be so keen on watching the weather to try and guage how the ground will be etc as demonstrated on this thread..but then stick up for someone because he hasn't selectively watered this time..he watered when it wasn't necessary..its no better than Good ground out there at best if it dries..you are only supposed to water to Good/firm..how did he think he was doing that Monday & Tuesday with rain forecast??

Last edited:
I'm not going down the route of trying to predict what Ballydoyle will do, because when they try and be too clever they feck it up anyway. I'm going on the form and that suugests Look Here should be 5 tops.

I expect to be buzzing after Roaring Forte lands the big handicap that precedes the KG anway so what will be will be.

but you have to try and predict what AOB will do with the pace - you can't really seriously have a bet without some idea.

its pretty clear that GS is their main hope today..so they are unlikely to want an over fast pace..or it will advantage the stayers LH & C..AOB will remove them from the equation with what will be a slower than par pace with GS sat very near the pace horse..then he will kick on with plenty of petrol left and the others will need to find speed to beat GS.

thats what I would do anyway..looks a straight forward scenario to me

if one of the others can outspeed GS then they win..whats the chance of LH or C outspeeding him?..2/1 is a joke price for C in this pace scenario.

for anyone who believes in going stick readings - check these out
from turftrax archive

Course Ascot (Flat)
Next Race n/a
Report Date Tuesday 24th July 2007; 15:30
Going Straight: Good to Soft GoingStick: 9.9, Roung: Soft (Good to Soft in places) GoingStick: 7.9 GoingStick 8.8

Course Ascot
Next Race n/a
Report Date Saturday 26th July 2008; 11:00
Going Good to Firm (watered)
GoingStick Overall: 9.3, Straight: 9.9, Round: 8.9

those aren't too dissimilar going stick readings..but the ground was Good/firm on one day - Good to soft the other day

basically..the readings are worthless.

here are todays readings courtesy of Racing Post

GOING: GOOD (GoingStick: Straight: Stands' side 9.3, Centre 9.7, Far side 9.4, Round 8.5). (A dry day is expected with spells of sunshine and patchy cloud; gentle south-westerly winds)

so we now how 3 different days - the ground being different on all 3 days - but the readings are all similar

what an absolute load of misleading nonsense

anyone care to speak out against this bollox?

Last edited:
... or maybe it's the interpretations of the readings that are worthless.

What still really bugs me is that course water at all, other than to promote growth of the grass.

Plenty of horses need fast ground to show their best form. The connections of these horses are being denied the chance to get some money back from a sport into which they put millions of pounds.

This is the UK, ffs. We get tons of rain every year. We get tons of meetings with genuinely good ground, genuinely soft and genuinely heavy ground.

We don't get clerks of the course sending industrial-sized driers out there to take the heaviness out of the ground, even though a very small number of horses genuinely act well in it. So why should they water firmness out of the ground? How often is ground genuinely naturally fast to the point of being dangerous to race on?

Last edited:
or maybe you aren't really supposed to know what the actual going is

the interpretation of the readings is simple though isn't it??..they are all roughly the same - its just that we are being misled by being given 3 different goings- from G/S through to G/F - how can ANYONE misinterpret the readings?

the formbook is also getting more worthless by the day.

the game is looking more of a lottery at a time when we are trying to pull more folk in..

Last edited:
Take Fame Of Glory out of the Irish Derby and Golden Sword would have been an easy enough winner in his own right - that was off a strong pace. His Epsom Derby run off a slow pace did not see him place. While they probably won't go off at the rate of the Irish Derby I think Golden Sword himself is best suited by racing on or close to a strong pace.

which is why he will be best suited to a just less than even tempo..if they go like they did in Ireland he will be beaten easy by the stayers..so its simply just a matter of setting the pace correctly for him today..the others won't get near him because stamina won't be at a premium..which most here need

it would have made sense for another trainer to put a decent pacemaker in to spoil the slightly less than even pace..as it is..AOB will dictate the pace to suit his horse and most probably win the race

Looking forward to the race though I haven't really been able to get a handle on the market. Have a feeling there isn't much (a couple of lbs perhaps) between the Ballymacoll colts, which possibly makes Tartan Bearer the value on that basis.

Take Fame And Glory out of the Irish Derby and you have Golden Sword beating Mourayan a length (albeit with the latter possibly flattered by the way the race was run). Should he really be 5/1 based on that form?

Great effort from Stoute. Disappointed that Tartan Bearer did not put his head down and fight it out a bit tougher.

Back