King George Chase

The irish horses gloss gone off this race after today

Allaho nope after today and ideally wants to go left

Envoi Allan is not what was hoped

MI just doesn't fit kempton for me

The time was nothing special & the field were virtually in line abreast approachin the 3rd last. For mine,Envoi Allen was simply outpaced from that point, and probably needs further/softer

Last edited:
The irish horses gloss gone off this race after today

Allaho nope after today and ideally wants to go left

MI just doesn't fit kempton for me

I was one of those hopers I only wish I knew beforhand what Barry Geraghty had said before the the race

He thought Envoi Allen was not as impressive at Cork as others did

He said he was workmanlike and he got a smack behind the saddle to keep up to his business
something that early last season .would never have been required against such opposition.

It certainly looks like his setback has left a much bigger mark than I thought

Protektorat up 6 to 164. That's some way shy of what you might expect of a King George contender but the £100k hcap at Kempton in February might be feasible.

Worth pointing out that Asterion Forlonge has been put up 2 to 164 despite unseating 3 out.

What a joke that's like saying if Sprinter Sacre had not had a heart problem he would have won all his races so lets put him up to 225.

The horse can't jump for sh** he should be dropping him a few pounds

It's funny how no matter how bad a grade 1 is horses get lumped up like they just won the Gold Cup

Seems like he has a different set of rules on when to use judgement instead of going by the usual

Last edited:
Had a small bet on Asterion at 25’s a couple of weeks back, Euro. Would be good to get to post with it.

Now that EA's bubble seems to have burst it would not susprise me one bit if Bryony become the first woman to win 2 King George's on her beloved Frodon.

Will have to see what turns up as there's got to be a few nagging doubts
1. Will someone run a second string to take her on early and upset Frodon's rhythm?

2. Is it likely jockeys will assume like last time he's not good enough and will come back to them.

3. Who will actiually turn up and how many of the remainder can we rule out when we know what the going is.

Some top class horses including Gold Cup winners have failed to win King George's because it's a completely different test.

We would never:lol: It may be folly to look beyond PN for the King George. He has me scratching my head wondering how can anybody wiin 12 Tingle Creeks and 12 King George's No one seems to be able to prepare a horse vor the king George better than him.

My problem is I am not a CDO fan so I backed Froson with my fingers crossed that BF can win it again

People always judge Best Mate on his average King george win and that awful 3rd Gold Cup which was a desperate affair but his first win was a different matter and he absolutely smashed them in his second win.

Obviously he's no Arkle but he was a bloody good horse on his day when you look back at it.

The average Midlands Grand National was running in the National Hunt Handicap Chase and was beaten a distance while Best Mate was galloping up the hill mile clear of his field.

However The Thinker and Bonanza Boy did win the Midland as did Synchronised but they were hardly average.

In his defense An capall was of course just being a wee bit sarcastic

Now, Now. Leave Gentleman Jim alone !
Re Best Mate , the first year he came to Leopardstown he was the most amazingly athletic horse; looked smaller than he was, hardly touched the ground when he walked and when he shot clear after the second last made the opposition look very very moderate.

Looks like Minella Indo will head over to Kempton after all - Barry Maloney has apparently confirmed it to the Post this evening.

I’m not convinced it’s the right race for him, tbh, but it is likely to be an easier race than the Savills, and perhaps that’s what’s uppermost in connections’ minds.

+ Nice to see some sets of connections spurning predictability and challenging their horses in real races at courses and conditions where they might not thrive.

Exactly. Win or Lose, it’s fantastic for the event and the sport that connections opt for the brave route in bringing the Gold Cup winner over for a race that arguably won’t suit.

Whereas Nervous Nicky won’t run Champ because it’s right handed.

Granted it's good for the sport when a Gold Cup winner runs, and there have been many many but at the end of the day it's all about money and in a lot of cases the trainer and owner seeking the prestige.

I'm not convince Minella Indo is not just more consistant than he is special and it just happened to be his day in the Gold Cup

3/1 for the King George certainly doesn't appeal to me.

If they all turn up I expect they will go 9/2 the field in a very open looking race

Last edited:
Back