King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2022

PP are offering to void the bet, which I'm accepting.

(They don't half make you jump some hurdles along the way. mind...)

If Mishriff is 7/2 on the day, that will be a bet and a half.

Gosden quote after Mishriff ran away with the Juddmonte after being beaten on Gd-Fm here as a 4yo last year:-

18Aug21 York (10.5Gd, RPR 128)
Mishriff ran a blinder last time, the mile and a half at Ascot up that hill was too great a demand on his stamina

Just saying…

Have we no Emily Upjohn fans here?

11/4 with William Hill.

Westover has been mightily impressive but if anything is to beat him it will surely be Emily.

Parking is £25 on car park 1, tenner on car park 5

I'm going Saturday, ticket was £30

£25 to park is outrageous, £10 is bad enough. At last meeting someone who worked there said carpark 5 was £10 on Friday, but £20 on the Saturday. Free to park in car park 6 if get there early enough. I have a ROA parking badge but guess what? Not usable for this meeting!
£46 for 'winning post' . Pre covid annual members could buy 2 tickets at half price for 'guests' for both this meeting and Champions Day, that's also been scrapped with the 'new' membership tariffs. If they've let the hamper crowd in that section for tomorrow, I won't be going again.

And it's still a poor turn out for such a prestigious race.

I've tried to keep an open mind but it seems blantantly obvious the favourite Westover is going to win.

Mishriff may have the best form in the book but the trip begs the quetion will he stay? He didn't seem to last time he tackled it.

Even if Emily Upjohn had won last time the form simply doesn't look as good as the Derby form.

Arc winner Torquator Tasso apparently needs soft ground but if he were to act on the good to firm he's the only possible surprise.

You would need to be the biggest AOB Ryan Moore fan to be silly enough to back Broome.
The bookies have set a price trap to entice those dumb enough to fall for it. Wins nothing placed nowhere.

Pyledriver seems to be there to steal some place money but he's got even less chance than Broome and that's saying something.

Last edited:
Broome might surprise in a race that could be attritional, he'll likely stay every yard and @ 25/1 2 places (B365) probably represents better value than backing the fav.

Last edited:
I've finally got round to getting a proper look at the race:

Horse
Weight
Trainer
Jockey
OR
MON
Notes
Torquator Tasso
9-9
Marcel Weiss
R Piechulek
v
Emily Upjohn
8-9
J&T Gosden
F Dettori
? p
Westover
8-12
Ralph Beckett
Colin Keane
p
Mishriff
9-9
J&T Gosden
James Doyle
+t
125+
Broome
9-9
A P O'Brien
Ryan Moore
Pyledriver
9-9
Muir & Grassick
P J McDonald

<tbody>
</tbody>

Nice to see a race with a decent bit of quality for a change. Torquator Tasso’s Arc win might be the best form on offer but it was in heavy ground and it remains to be seen if he can match it on this fast ground. I saw an article midweek saying his relatives were fine on better ground but I’d want to see evidence of it. My high rating for Emily Upjohn stems from her time in the Oaks with Simon Rowlands’s mark-up added. Tuesday couldn’t frank the form in the Irish Derby but the Gosden filly has had a longer recovery period. Westover impressed at the Curragh but didn’t beat much, although the performance itself amounts to more than Desert Crown’s at Epsom. All week I’d thought I’d be backing Mishriff but now that I’ve done my figures I’m less convinced. Broome faces a much more difficult task than in the Hardwicke. I’d be interested at 25/1 to three places but they’re not on offer. Pyledriver will be chasing place money. I now think Emily Upjohn is the percentage call at 11/4.

Broome might surprise in a race that could be attritional, he'll likely stay every yard and @ 25/1 2 places (B365) probably represents better value than backing the fav.

Took 20/1 to 3 places yesterday, 15/1 now. Keep an eye on it, might go out again as the monry comes for the front 3.

Did you definitely get the three places, BoS?

I'd thought maybe Broome would try to do what he did in the Hardwicke and make it difficult for the others but when I couldn't get the third place I cooled on him.

Wilsonl's reminder about Gosden's comment on Mishriff was timely and when I checked back through last year's form I saw the comment for myself. On the other hand, Adayar was a classy winner last year and Mishriff ran very well in second, giving 3lbs to the 122-rated Love and beating her by clear daylight (effectively a 6lbs margin). If that could be taken literally, Mishriff would be 128, probably good enough to win this.

But if it's even more of a test than last year, maybe Emily Upjohn will outstay him.

I reckon only a win for Pyledriver would be a surprise to me and it's the kind of race that will be worth watching without the need for a bet*.

*Edit - even though I had already taken 11/4 EU by the time I wrote that.

Last edited:
Did you definitely get the three places, BoS?

Yep, definitely.

B365 dont always price it up as a seperate market but when you make a selection and then select e/w it activates a drop down list with extra places at amended prices.

Just checked now, still available at 14/1 3 places

Paul Kealy fancies Broome, and makes a **** case for him online. He really is better at the handicaps

Last edited:
I can't get my head around why Broome would win this.

Unless I am to believe this is a giant plot which can be traced back to his two year old days haha.

I can't get my head around why Broome would win this.

Unless I am to believe this is a giant plot which can be traced back to his two year old days haha.

To qualify the above. You have an Irish Derby winner in Westover, extremely unlucky Oaks runner up (and the horse most likely to improve again in Emily Upjohn)..a horse of the calibre of Mishriff and last years Arc winner all in the field.

Broome should be a 25 or 33/1 shot, surely?

Last edited:
In Paul Kealy's case, the case for Broome is predicated on negatives surrounding the rest of the field:

Emily: Oaks form not franked and this is Plan B.

Westover beat nothing in Ireland.

Mishriff the one to beat but prefers an outsider for value.

TT: unlikely to be at his best on the ground.

Pyledriver: (doesn't even rate a mention)

Process of elimination (my interpretation) leaves Broome: CD winner, better than ever, likes the ground, more lightly raced this year, every chance he'll be allowed to lead.

Emily: Oaks form not franked and this is Plan B.

1 - She's much better than that bare form. She lost 2/3 lengths at the start of the race and had to use energy better spent at the end of it just to get in contention.

2 - The Irish Oaks was the target because her trainer didn't fancy tangling with Desert Crown and crucially it made more sense to go for a winnable Group 1 given that she'd not scored in that company yet. The fact that this is plan B then is not a reflection on her merit - imo.

The start was overblown given the pace and how Tuesday started. Clearly coming home had more baring!

She lost a couple of lengths at the start - and swinging in from Tattenham Corner she went wide, covering even more ground than ideal. Under the circumstances it was a fantastic run and no, I don't claim at this stage that she's as good as Taghrooda or Enable - but Tuesday is a fuckton better than the fillies those two beat in their Oaks.

Yep coming home had a baring, her path and the tug to make sure she had enough gas cost her.
The start itself though! was overblown.

Seems the best anyone can come up with is Westover beat nothing in Ireland

What that has to do with the price of coal beats the **** out of me.

In the Derby he was level with Desert Crown when he quickened at the 2 furlong marker
It showed clearly that Westover doesn't have the instant acceleration of Desert Crown
but had he got a clear run IMO he would have got going much sooner, run him down and won the Derby.

He's not beat nothing in Ireland he's destroyed them and make some half decent horse look like tortoises.

I reckon he'll run this lost down with the same manner and go on to bigger and better things.

Now is the time to be backing him in the ARC he'll be 3/1 fav tomorrow.

Desert Crown has drifted like a barge out to 8.2 on the machine from being as low as 3 after his Derby win.

A 5star***** Westover 6/4 plus back to lay at 8.2 for the Arc De Triomphe

Last edited:
Back