King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2023

The ground will clearly be a massive factor. I'll be waiting until later in the week when the forecast is more certain but hopefully before the prices have started to adjust too much for the most likely conditions.

Last edited:
Auguste Rodin would likely miss this if it came up soft and Luxembourg looks an able deputy.
Simca Mille ran well in the Ganay on genuine soft ground,has an Arc entry and promises to be a backable price as French horses often are.

ames Fergusons thoughts on letting Deauville Legend take his chance this Saturday.

Despite it being "the hardest King George he can remember", trainer James Ferguson will not be ducking the high-class opposition as he aims stable star Deauville Legend at the Ascot Group 1 on Saturday.

Winner of the Great Voltigeur Stakes at York last August, the four-year-old embarked on a trip to Australia over the winter where he came home a gallant fourth in the Melbourne Cup having started favourite for the prestigious handicap.

Deauville Legend wasn't seen again for more than seven months before appearing in the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot where he finished just under three lengths behind Pyledriver, who is set to reoppose this weekend.

He was denied a clear run for much of the home straight that day and Ferguson believes the run should set him up nicely for the rest of the campaign.

"Deauville Legend is in really good order and we're heading to the King George," Ferguson said on Sunday.

"He ran a great race at Royal Ascot in the Hardwicke. He'd had a long layoff and probably needed the run. He was potentially a bit short of room, too, but if he'd have had a run under his belt he probably would have been able to kick on when he was asked."

With the likes of last month's Derby 1-2 Auguste Rodin and King Of Steel, Coronation Cup heroine Emily Upjohn and Brigadier Gerard 1-2 Hukum and 2022 Derby winner Desert Crown also among the likely opposition, Deauville Legend finds himself a general 40-1 shot for the King George.

"It's going to be the hardest King George I can remember," said Ferguson, "but I think he's good enough to be competitive in a race like that."

Races such as the Irish St Leger and a repeat bid for the Melbourne Cup could follow later in 2023, and Ferguson added: "We're very much aiming towards an international campaign at the end of the year so it's just another stepping stone, but he's definitely good enough to take his place."

Last edited:
The 1997 Eclipse was considered one of the best races run with all runners rated 120 or more.
Having 8 rated 120+ is not to be sneezed at, especially if one steps up with a possible high 120s run.

There's not been many KG's that the top 2 or 3 haven't been rated above 120 but there's 120 horses and 120 horses

Not kncking him but king Of Steel beat a 110 horse 3 lengths which begs the question did it justify him keeping his 120 rating?

Then you have Hukum who went up 6lbs to 122 when beating imo the highly overarted Pyledriver.

To each his own but personally I can't be arsed with rating between group 1 winners because they count for nothing in non handicap events

Last edited:
Westover has some value at 20/1.

Jockey was caught napping when Emily Upjohn (5/1) went for home on the downhill stretch, pulled her back in all the way to the line

This is where my figures stand at this stage. Maxbet has a point about Westover.

HorseStatsAgeORMONNotesRPRBO
Hukum CD6122127+1304/1
Pyledriver CD6124127?1307/1
Emily Upjohn CD412012713111/2
Desert Crown D bf4123124+p12713/2
Westover D4119124p?12920/1
Luxembourg bf4-12312920/1
Auguste Rodin D3-123p1294/1
Adelaide River 3-122p12525/1
King Of Steel CD3120120+p1274/1
Simca Mille D4-11912425/1
Broome CD7-118125100/1
Deauville Legend D4116118p?12325/1
Hamish CD7117117126100/1
Bolshoi Ballet 5-116118100/1
Point Lonsdale C4-113121100/1

<tbody>
</tbody>

I hadn't realised I had a few rated 126 and more so I take back my lukewarm comments.

Last edited:
Westover will get the pace to run at which is crucial.
You could be put off with his performance in the race last year, even though of the obvious excuse. Same applies with Emily.

Am in the Hukum camp. Desert Crown though...

Apparently, rode him a gallop on Sunday morning,which sounds like a plan coming to the boil,imo.
Adayar must have met a setback?

I think Adayar has been underperforming and maybe just hasn't properly come to form yet ahead of what would be a very tough assignment. I was a wee bit surprised to see it declared the other day.

Desert Crown has to merit very serious consideration. I genuinely have no idea what I'll be backing at this stage.

Last edited:
I'll be having a sporting fiver each way bet on Deauville Legend for fun. I think he could out run the odds. My other pick against the field Luxembourg has drifted to 20s. I think it's doubtful Luxembourg will be declared myself.

Deauville was 40s with one or two firms a few days ago..now into a general 20s..I still reckon he is the each way bet against the field for reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I can see the cases for horses at the top of the market and it's each to their own who punters decide can prevail.

Last edited:
Ferguson seemed to be half-thinking the soft ground did for Deauville in the Melbourne Cup. I looked at the race for the first time today and, boy, did he make a nice, powerful-looking move around 3-4 furlongs out. Different game here, ofc, but my reading of that will be that soft ground wouldn't hold any fears. Certainly not at one and a half. Indeed, instinct tells me that might work in his favour.

He's carrying my money too, Marb. Managed to get the early prices. It should be fun whatever happens and part of the fun is the anticipation. Tonight should tell if it's likely to be proper soft, forecast is for heavy rain but don't think anyone will be heavily surprised if it doesn't materialise.

A race to watch and savour - let’s hope the weather stays kind and the field doesn’t cut up too much. On the face of it there seems not a fag paper of difference between the main players so not a race to be risking the house and furniture, but you’ve just got to participate, haven’t you :). At the moment I’m leaning towards Desert Crown and Emily Upjohn, albeit that I can think of reasons why not for both of them.

Backed Simca Mille earlier in the week. Plan was to run, Soumi was booked. Not declared. So it isn't just the UK trainers who are complete ******* bellends.

Surprised AR not shorter or is that the rain affecting his price?
I'm 6 miles away and its been raining steadily all day, and most of yesterday evening it was as well. Going on RP now saying soft.

Hamish getting my attention for a longshot.
A descendant of Girl Friend, one of those bargain buys of the 1970s that kept running well in top sprints .
Harris Tweed is in the family so stamina no doubt.
Neither is soft a disadvantage for Motivator stock.
In the Haggis family for generations and not like our William to tilt at windmills.
I doubt if AR shows up if going correct.

Back