King George VI Chase

quite surprised by this but it's saved the race. very exciting now.

if his jumping can hold up i think he'll win.

I think we'll find out just how difficult the transition from top-class staying hurdler/promising novice chaser, to beating a horse like Cue Card, really is.

Tom Scu must be the happiest person with the news

Cue Card is probably my favourite ever horse and as much as I’d have loved to have seen a 1 horse jog around, this is great news for the race

Personally I think they will go off near enough joint favourites

Can imagine a wedge of money will come for Thistle now

Any chance he goes of fav?

There will be a lot of people with hangovers and no clue. Has to be a chance.

I will bide my time and wait for a drift on CC.

Last edited:
It's a brave decision and warrants respect purely on that basis. Tizzard doesn't really do foolhardy, so you would imagine that there's a good degree of informed confidence behind it.

I just hope the horse comes out of it fit and well, wherever he ends up in March.

I reckon it's more about the owner wanting to run, and Tizzard not really having an excuse not to. I don't think it infers any particular confidence in Thistlecrack, beyond that which connections usually exude about the horse.

Same owners ran West Approach in the Long Walk & can’t imagine that was Tizzards choice

I think this is purely the Snooks call and is what I would have done

I reckon it's more about the owner wanting to run, and Tizzard not really having an excuse not to. I don't think it infers any particular confidence in Thistlecrack, beyond that which connections usually exude about the horse.

I can understand connections wanting a pop at a prestige pot, of course. Let's just say I would like to think that there's been a rounded discussion between trainer and owner on the horse's ability, at this relatively early stage, to cope with what is still a meaty challenge for a novice.

They've both got a sizeable stake in an incredible animal.

To be fair, Tizzard probably hasn't been looking for an excuse not to run.

I'm sure they're both doing what they think is in the best interests of the horse, at this stage of his career.

Last edited:
The King George isn't the only race that will benefit as hopefully the Feltham will get a proper list of entries now with a decent betting shape, as opposed to trainers avoiding Thistlecrack.

IF Thistlecrack were to win what price the GC? He gets beaten what price the WH? I'm sure there's a trade there somewhere...

I've been having problem with my computer so missed out on the news...........Gobsmacked!!!!! but it seems Colin Tizzard left it to the owners....I wonder if he smacked his head off a wall when they said they wanted to run him:0)

With Josses Hill now running it makes it very interesting the way he has jumped this season. If Thistlecrack wants to be taking the sting out of Cue card's tail he's going to have to take Josses Hill on fairly early and he won't find that easy. Way too easy for a novice to be caught out so I just have to stick with Cue Card.

Cue Card even as a novice ran 2nd to a future Gold Cup winner in Bobsworth and filled the same position behind Sprinter Sacre. Thistlecrack has raced against no hopers only so this is a massive step up in class.

We are now talking Cue Card the Ryanair and King George winner against top class animals and imo in a different league to the novice who has never beaten anything of note in his life. Pitzig I suppose but look where he finished against Harry

Her indoors needs the kitchen sink but I shall be having some of the family jewels on Cue Card.............a forecast on him and Josses Hill and a place lay on Thistlecrack on the day

Eggs at the ready guys :0)

I can't see Josses Hill wanting to force the pace over 3m. Thistlecrack could get an uncontested lead but I still fancy Cue Card to beat him.

Last edited:
I can't see Josses Hill wanting to force the pace over 3m. Thistlecrack could get an uncontested lead but I still fancy Cue Card to beat him.

I don't know. His owner Alan Spence seemed to think otherwise yesterday on supplementing him;

''We are running now,” said Spence. “We were in two minds but Coneygree is a front-runner and Josses Hill seems to run better from the front. The way of running wasn’t the deciding factor but it certainly helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

I think he'd be a sitting duck from there personally and would be amazed if he could repel the late onslaught of horses with proven stamina such as Cue Card but stranger things have happened.

I suppose the other side of the coin is to hold him up and risk the jumping fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josses Hill had a bit of a reputation for messing up. At Huntingdon when he was going to slow for his own good his jumping was a bit like the old days, ballooning his fences but as the pace increased he never put a foot wrong.

Let's not forget Dodging Bullets won a QMCC and although he dropped out before the last , he and Josses Hill were going some clip from a long way out.

Josses Hill found plenty and as decent as they are Tea for Two and More Of That couldn't lay a glove on him as he quickened up despite getting a bit of weight.

When you think about it that is just about the perfect King George trial and a repeat of that type of run and I think he'll run a much better race than his price would indicate.

If More of That hadn't run that day he'd be 5 or 6/1 in this and Josses is 14/1...got to be worth a quid or two EW 3 places 1/4 odds with Victor.

As has been said elsewhere, Tea For Two is entitled to come on for the outing, and as a Feltham winner, will be running over a much more suitable trip in the King George. I will be quite disappointed if he doesn't reverse form with Josses Hill, who I regard as something of a no-hoper.

Last edited:
I appear to have been gambling whilst pissed again as I seem to have taken Thistlecrack at 10.5 for this - no idea when or why mind you. Valseur Lido could be the one to undo the jollies however, so I have topped up on him.

I appear to have been gambling whilst pissed again as I seem to have taken Thistlecrack at 10.5 for this - no idea when or why mind you. Valseur Lido could be the one to undo the jollies however, so I have topped up on him.

It appears that Valseur Lido, the leading Irish contender according to the betting, will skip the King George in favour of the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown two days later. “The Lexus is our priority,” said Eddie O’Leary, racing manager to Gigginstown, owners of Valseur Lido. O’Leary indicated that Outlander, Road To Riches and Roi Des Francs were possible runners

Back