King George

With a better ride SNA would have been a lot closer to Danedream here than he was at Longchamp (was anyway). She's proved herself a better racehorse than him but the excessive WFA she received last year exaggerated this superiority.

you are assuming danedream is at her best..was only just warming up last year on third start of the year

using OHR's and using 1.5lb per length

off Reliable Man 118...Danedream = 121
off Dunaden 118...Danedream = 123
off Brown Panther 117...Danedream = 123

a 123 OHR would look a fair assessment imo

Danedream had a 128 coming into the race so its fair to say that she hasn't had to run to her Arc level to win this

Last edited:
A share in her was purchased by Teruya Yoshida prior to the Arc who I think owns one of the biggest studs in Japan. Would imagine one of his stallions will get first go. Deep Impact perhaps, though how about putting King George winner to King George winner and send her to Harbinger.

using OHR's and using 1.5lb per length

off Reliable Man 118...Danedream = 121
off Dunaden 118...Danedream = 123
off Brown Panther 117...Danedream = 123

a 123 OHR would look a fair assessment imo

Danedream had a 128 coming into the race so its fair to say that she hasn't had to run to her Arc level to win this

I rate her 125 today
so 5 pounds worse than in the Arc

Whilst Stoute has had a few winners lately his big race ones have been very hit and miss. I like Stoute but these last two seasons have been atrocious. Well done Suny.. Spot on today. Backed Danedream ante-post but lost the faith today and saved on Nathaniel. She is a very good filly and likely to improve as the season goes on.

From the ever unfashionable Baden Baden too. So who will she be visiting in the breeding shed?

Don't know but pretty sure it won't be a shock, one of the usual suspects.Deep impact is a fair shout. If she stays in Europe ,Galileo.
Frankel, STS.

Apologise if he may have said something earlier [no time to go through all the previous comments] but I hope Irish Stamp backed the mare today given that he was the one who 'discovered' her last year. I'm really pleased that she proved her Arc win was no fluke although I feared that the jockey had been using the whip too much and was surprised to read that it was O'Brien and Buick that got whip bans. I'd hate her to have won under controversial circumstances.

Nice one, Suny.
Danedream's trainer attributed her poor lto run to the lack of pace, which makes a lot of sense; in hindsight. Considering how hard she was driven to prevail, an Arc repeat looks unlikely. Nathaniel wasn't quite good enough, even in almost ideal circumstances, and will struggle to add to his Eclipse win this season, imo.
SNA - given the ground wasn't ideal - comes out just about the best horse in the race, imo, and could be an interesting opponent for Frankel in the Juddmonte. If he runs (which I believe he will) you'd expect Coolmore to assure the kind of pace to test any chinks in F's armour.
Sea Moon wouldn't have won from anywhere on the track, and Cup races look to be his future.

I don't think it is any coincidence that the two best tactical rides saw their horses fight out the finish. Starke may not know Ascot that well but if the tactic was to stay close to Buick as the biggest danger then it worked, despite having to give him first run. SNA's connections may have perceived Sea Moon as they main danger and hatched a plan to follow Moore. The pace may have been sharp for the first furlong but it looked to me like it evened out after that, leaving SNA and SM in a poor tactical position. For SNA to finsih so well into third augurs well for his future prospects but he may have ended up having an unnecessarily hard race. I don't believe Sea Moon was the same horse that won the Hardwicke but the ride he got wouldn't have helped. Last time, he lay close to an even pace and kicked just as the others were warning up. Yesterday the principals were already in full flight when he tried to make his ground. It's one thing doing what he did last month against G2 opposition; it's another thing trying what he did yesterday against G1 horses.

For all the controversy about SNA and Sea Moon they didn't have the form
in the book to win yesterdays race.The right two horses fought out the finish.

Is there anything in Danedream being a better horse right-handed? I know she's won in her native Germany well going left-handed but won the Arc and King George yet well below form in Japan Cup and GP De St Cloud?

Is there anything in Danedream being a better horse right-handed? I know she's won in her native Germany well going left-handed but won the Arc and King George yet well below form in Japan Cup and GP De St Cloud?

I dont think so
in fact I rate higher his GP BAden win rather than King George

Welllllll. What about that wfa ? :cool:

But weight for age wasn't really a factor in this race. There was only one 3yo and the Arc is later in the season when there are plenty of 3yos to choose from as they have closed the gap on the older horses. My argument for wfa did not apply to this race. I backed Nathaniel and underestimated Danedream.

Not for me. Bago and Youmzain were Arc horses who ran well below par in slowly run GP's and I think the Arc is a bit like the Cheltenham Gold Cup in that a lot of horses are finished for the season after winning it. The BC record of Paris winners indicates this

Back