Ladbrokes World Hurdle - Build Up

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
Is that the same Oscar Whisky that took all day to wind up to challenge Overturn. over half-a-mile further?:lol:

Ladbrokes have already gone NRNB for the race

BB looks a certainty (if he gets there) but isn’t value with bookies offering crazy morning prices, so will probably be bigger than 4/5 on the day

Have looked for a few sneaky ew’s but nothing really jumps out. Am considering Dynaste at 12/1 or So Young at 14/1. Thoughts anyone?

If you want a bet on the race NRNB with absolutely no down side IMO then ask them what price they are Quevega - she's being aimed at the Mares race again but has won the 3m Hurdle at the past two Punchestown Festivals and clearly stays the trip, if anything happened to BB they'd have to be tempted by the World Hurdle and if not then you get a full refund.

Can't imagine she'd be much of a price though in a NRNB market.

Disappointing that the Hatton's Grace has only seven (four of them Mullins). Very small field likely.

Shame they didn't send Big Buck's over. I would have found it a lot more interesting than watching him beat Five Dream.

Not too much opposition to BB in the Long Walk. Restless Harry back over the smaller obstacles interesting though.

I hope the meeting's on. The race has been switched to Newbury of late.

Glad to see David Pipe let Dynaste take his chance. He's got a lot to make up on ratings but at least they're giving it a go, like they did with Grands Crus.

Last edited:
Dynaste was impressive last time but still has a heap to find.

2/7 looks a pretty decent price about Big Buck's. Is it just a case of lumping it on . . ?

Not for me, Zenyatta! I'm not one for those odds. I do think Big Buck's will win in his customary style. I'm happy to just watch the race.

I think the only way you're going to get Big Bucks beat is to go off 100 mph in front and I mean going out stupidly Barizan style 15+ lengths all the way, would be worth a big trainer just deploying a horse like this and then settle a stayer out at the back and challenge late.

I think the only way you're going to get Big Bucks beat is to go off 100 mph in front and I mean going out stupidly Barizan style 15+ lengths all the way, would be worth a big trainer just deploying a horse like this and then settle a stayer out at the back and challenge late.
Isn't that exactly what Big Buck's wants? Best way of getting him beaten is in a farce, but that didn't work last year.

Isn't that exactly what Big Buck's wants? Best way of getting him beaten is in a farce, but that didn't work last year.

Didn't work last time out at Newbury either, this supposed "FARCE" as you call.

Slow races suit horses with a exceptional turn of foot, defeats the purpose of running a slow race to beat him.

Would you not try run the sting out of him instead of let him sit there ready to pounce.

Logical..

Last edited:
At the level Big Bucks is running at you'd be better advised at running your own race according to your own strengths against him and hoping something goes wrong with him, rather than trying tactics to get him beat.

The three strongly run races where the TS & RPR was within 5lbs of each other Big Bucks has come unstuck twice,

13 Mar 2008 - 7/20 (Plugged on)
09 Feb 2008 - 3/6 (Stayed on same pace)
25 Jan 2008 - 1/4 (Driven, Stayed on)

Ok addmitedly they were Chases but when you consider the staying hurdle division is so poor that you haven't got an animal that can run a solid pace from the front it's no surprise he's sweeped up like the has.

His TS & RPR of his Hurdling career;

115 163
140 178
119 166
— 167
141 160
79 157
139 174
137 170
145 170
147 176
131 176
50 166
96 164
— 164

I Would stick Barizan up there, go frantic for 2M, then take him on with something that can carry the pace for another half mile then let the race unfold from there..

Dynaste was impressive last time but still has a heap to find.

Just had a look at the fixed brush race. He did it really well in a big field the hard way (from the front), albeit receiving weight... but at Long Walk level I'd agree something to find.

The three strongly run races where the TS & RPR was within 5lbs of each other Big Bucks has come unstuck twice,

13 Mar 2008 - 7/20 (Plugged on)
09 Feb 2008 - 3/6 (Stayed on same pace)
25 Jan 2008 - 1/4 (Driven, Stayed on)

Yes Bruce - wheel out a couple of 2m novice chases as proof of your argument, but don't mention that the win saw him beat the Arkle runner-up despite conceding weight, or that the raw 5-y-o was actually showing improved form despite making mistakes on the third of those runs.

What makes you think that an overly-strong pace would produce an exceptionally fast time anyway?

What makes you think that an overly-strong pace would produce an exceptionally fast time anyway?

Interesting, where did you draw this conclusion from?

Also Paul Nicholls has always believed Big Bucks could be an excellent jumper, so I'm not sure where your other point is going either?

Just had a look at the fixed brush race. He did it really well in a big field the hard way (from the front), albeit receiving weight... but at Long Walk level I'd agree something to find.

What impressed me was how he appeared to be going too fast in front and then suddenly quickened it up again to take 10+ lengths out of the field.

I think Big Buck's is impossible to oppose. If ever a race was run to get him beat then it was the World Hurdle. The farcical pace didn't suit him at all and Tom Scudamore (whatever people may think of him as a jockey) gave Grands Crus an excellent ride that day, giving his charge every possible chance at beating him. Ruby also dropped his whip before the last and still Big Buck's was ultimately a comfortable winner.

He is a different class to anything else, and whilst Dynaste looked good at Haydock, there are plenty of other good ones to have tried and failed to beat him since reverting to hurdles.

Back