Leopardstown Christmas

Great ride by Cooper there in fairness. Credit where it's due. Didn't allow ruby to dictate on NC.
Measured the fractions nicely and ensured it was a test.

It's not different - it's related.

If you are going to fill four days, you are going to have to include some ropier races - that's a fact.

I wouldn't mind this fact, if the races in question were competitive. But they are farmed too often by horses who massively outclass the rest of their field, thereby diluting the visual spectacle, as well as rendering it a non-event from a betting perspective too.

Fontwell on St Stephens Day put on 5 handicaps, Huntingdon 5, Market Rasen 6, Sedgefield 4, Wincanton 4 and Wetherby 6.

To me that's a nightmare and if it's your alternative I would decline it as impolitely as I could.

The original question was about whether Kempton shoukd extend to four days. In order to to do so, it would need to take races from all the tracks you mentioned, in effect, becoming exactly what Leopardstown is - a 2-day Festival of top racing, bloated-out to four days, by adding inferior-product ballast.

I offer no alternatives - principally because I see no difference between what Leopardstown is now, and what Kempton would become if two more days were added. It doesn't matter to me if the ballast is made up from Bumpers, Maiden Hurdles, beginners chases, mares juveniles or low-grade handicaps - it's still ballast at the end of the day.

I should add that all these races have their places - but their proliferation at extended Festivals, is all about getting another day on the gate, and not much about competitive racing.

I'm with Arthur on this Nick. Yes there's plenty of back numbers in the maidens and bumpers, but there's plenty of quality on show too. On the other hand we had an endless supply of crap handicaps all over Christmas that I can't be bothered to look at.

I wouldn't want Kempton to go to four days by the way. Two is just about right. Nothing wrong with Leopardstown though, I've enjoyed it on the whole, and Limerick has been the perfect compliment.

The meetings hosting those crap handicapa are not putting themselves away as Festivals, Paul.

At the risk of repeating myself, the original question was around whether Kempton was slacking, in not hosting a 4-Day Xmas Festival. It's my contention that it is not, because the addition of poorer quality races would render any 'Festival' description pointless. Better to keep those races at their existing meetings, and have a quality-packed 2-days at Kempton instead.

You're right that Leopardstown and Limerick are stretched to as long as they can get away with, as is Galway. After Galway this is the probably the second most significant week in the Irish calendar for generating revenue. The meetings attract people who don't go near a racecourse the rest of the year.

I think the meetings do a good job of providing good racing and bringing in the crowds. It would certainly help if the spoils were spread around a bit more though.

Regarding Kempton, I'm sure they know what they're doing, though Tanlic makes a good point about prize money for some of their races.

The original question was about whether Kempton shoukd extend to four days. In order to to do so, it would need to take races from all the tracks you mentioned, in effect, becoming exactly what Leopardstown is - a 2-day Festival of top racing, bloated-out to four days, by adding inferior-product ballast.

I offer no alternatives - principally because I see no difference between what Leopardstown is now, and what Kempton would become if two more days were added. It doesn't matter to me if the ballast is made up from Bumpers, Maiden Hurdles, beginners chases, mares juveniles or low-grade handicaps - it's still ballast at the end of the day.

I should add that all these races have their places - but their proliferation at extended Festivals, is all about getting another day on the gate, and not much about competitive racing.

Leopardstown is as much a social occasion as a race meeting-open up an Irish newspaper during the week and you will see photographs from Leopardstown.Limerick have also attracted an impressive amount of paying customers during the week -as will Tramore on New Years Day.Putting on a bumper every day and some low quality handicaps is part of what Leopardstown have to do to sustain 4 days -I don't have a problem with this -Galway have plenty of low grade handicaps,Royal Ascot has plenty of handicaps,they have claimers on the day of American triple crown races and the most successful meeting in America -Saratoga-has any amount of claimers.
Kempton will not sustain 4 days at Christmas -I would say they should look at having 4 consecutive days close to London -move the Challow Hurdle meeting meeting forward and make it a 2 day meeting.

Was there any word on why jezki didn't run in the 3 mile hurdle yesterday??

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

I suspect Jessie may be tempted to stick to two miles for now and then see how the Champion Hurdle shapes up. If Faugheen doesn't go I reckon she'd fancy her chances.

Ride of the week by Bryan Cooper.
As my racing colleague Paddy put it as the horses passed the stand Bryan was riding for his job and fair play pulled it off in style.
At the entrance today a duo were video interviewing racegoers re the pulling power of this meeting and how a new Curragh Racecourse could get this type of crowd at their new look racecourse. A novel form of market research that i had not come across before.
I gave my tuppence worth and expect to be barred from taking up my annual membership there as of 2017 !
My only hope is my NH attire of Lord Vestey meets Austin Powers tweed ensemble is not worn after Cheltenham so I might just get away with it Basil Fawlty style.
Wonderful Novice Chase also with a bus load of supporters with the owner brothers; a decent run by 5yo Coney Island to almost win.
Re handicap/maiden hurdle dross remember every horse that runs has owners/trainers and staff who are in the game for the excitement of seeing their silks getting an airing with the dream of having success so do not box them all as only fit for a wet thursday at Clonmel/Downpatrick.

Back