Leopardstown Christmas

Snow Falcon was never quite getting there, Double J.

Suggestions it was an insufficient test of stamina are probably legit. It was run at a crawl, and I called the pace all-wrong beforehand.

Thank you.
I'll try watch the race later, as suggested a better pace would undoubtedly have helped. Snow Falcon wasn going way better than Harry last time out before falling.

Hopefully get another race in before March and see how we are from there.

Ruby just inconvenienced there as Smashing dropped back. Would've beaten Don Poli but maybe not the winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a race that was!

Some run from Outlander. Great to see the Don back in the thick of it too.

Felt Djakadam lost it on the turm, was coming back, but alas didn't happen.
VL seemed to stop quickly, otherwise would have won.
Great return by DP.
But can't knock Outlander. Finished well.

Do you ever just admit you got a race wrong and move on? Genuine question - every time you put one up and it loses there's someone to blame.

Backing losers is part of the game - just accept it. I backed Snow Falcon too but maybe he's just not as good as we thought.

I don't think I got the race wrong, maybe misjudged the pace they'd go.

As for backing losers, It hurts and I vent. That's the way I deal with it, five minutes after it's forgotten or I at least calm down. Actually enjoyed the racing this holiday period despite doing my stones.

That was a shock. Couldn't see a winner away from the first two in the betting. Thought VL had it after jumping the last but he got very tired quickly.

Great to see DP back. It's a true pity Davy Russel didn't give him a chance in last years GC. That's how to ride him, from the front & twice he's finished in front of Djak now so he's no boat.

You may be right. But I would argue that Djakadam may be better fresh and his best form is at Cheltenham so would expect improvement. Should still hit the frame at least.

Hope the National is still the target for Don Poli, I've smashed it anti post at 25's.

May target Gold Cup again instead.

He had a tough race in the John Durkan no doubt but so too did Outlander!! Djak just always seems to find 1 too good but is ultra consistent.

You may be right. But I would argue that Djakadam may be better fresh and his best form is at Cheltenham so would expect improvement. Should still hit the frame at least.

I would have Djakadam as 2nd fav for the GC
Wasn't ideal ground, and feel he lost it on the turn today, so can't knock his form.
Need to compare times with KG but TC was eased down on the bridle, not flat out.

Today's pot will be some consolation to connections, for blowing Outlander's mark for the National to smithereens.

Good race. Thistlecrack/Native River SFC for the Gold Cup.

Interesting Willie seemed to imply they were holding Djakadam back in the race.
Certainly seemed to move closer then drop back a bit during the race.
Thought it was the horse. hmmmm
Up on the day so can't complain.

in all likelihood you could that race five times and get five different results.
As CL said to me all the first four would have been WPM trained but for the split with Giggi.
Now that would turn crowds away.
Puts to bed the idea that Stowaways do not stay.
Great to see Jack Kennedy ride his first Grade 1 winner at under 18; this guy is what Steve Cauthen was on the flat all those years ago; different gravy.
A most beautiful day with great racing and a great crowd.

Interesting Willie seemed to imply they were holding Djakadam back in the race.
Certainly seemed to move closer then drop back a bit during the race.
Thought it was the horse. hmmmm
Up on the day so can't complain.

If that boat Djakadam wins the Gold Cup I will personally take you on around the world cruise to Bellshill

Djakadam was really good at the third last and I was expecting Ruby to profit from that and move him up a few places but instead he held on to him and he got shuffled back on the bend. I'm not saying he should have won, but he could have been closer.

By the way the beginners chase today was a perfect example of what Eddie Harty was saying a few weeks ago, that he might as well put Coney Island straight into Graded races. Acapella Bourgeois jumped round beautifully but could only finish 4th, with two of three(!) Grade One hurdle winners in the field finishing in front of him. The form should be worth following, especially the winner, whose odds crashed late on and came from a long way back after being impeded.

PJ Moriarity will probably see a few of them reopposing.

my thoughts afterward were that they would all benefit from a step up in trip especially Gangster and likely AB

Tomorrow's novice is very interesting. First thought Martello Tower seems overs and maybe Coney Island won't be as good left handed. he was outclassed in the Deloitte.

I think I let the race go without a bet and hope ADO wins.

Petit Mouchoir is bound to drift. Like him.

Martello Tower for me in that. I've also doubled Nichols Canyon with Rathnure Rebel in Limerick who will love conditions.

Coneys performance the last day visually impressed me a lot but the form took a good hit looking at Diamond King and the Anibale Fly runs over Christmas.

would like to see Eddie Harty have a good horse again.

Very deep race potentially. Our Duke was big at 8s earlier

Given Brave Out for John Kiely another chance in 3:05. A nice improvement when winning last time. 118 for him looks plenty workable.

Last edited:
Back