Leopardstown Saturday [now Sunday]

Indeed, Betsmate. :D

As Mel said, it's tough to see Duke of Marmalade taking his chance, especially as the rain is supposed to continue through the night and into tomorrow morning.

Is there an inspection planned?

Light to moderate rain over Dublin? I'd hate to see what they call very heavy. Granger's young lady friend would need counselling.

In the five mins it took me to walk from my house in Leopardstown to Bewleys beside the track, I got soaked. The rain was coming in horizontally!! And it was fairly bleak. Rain has just stopped in D4 now but it's more akin to a swamp outside than a city!! That much rain falling gotta have an impact if it continues and tomorrow is supposed to be bad too!!

It was sunny briefly for ten minutes in St. Stephen's Green, which made me hopeful of the Duke's participation. It has since clouded over again, making it more likely that it will rain again, making it more likely that the ground will get wetter, making it more likely that the Duke will not run tomorrow.

The ground is now "soft" after around 40mm of rain. Inspection for tomorrow morning but the track has taken the rain remarkably well and they are much more confident than earlier this morning. It is not currently raining at Leopardstown.

From the RP

OFFICIALS at Leopardstown will hold a 7am inspection to assess the prospects for their high-profile Saturday meeting.

The bumper eight-race card is due to feature two Group 1 contests in the Tattersalls Millions Champion Stakes and the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes but is now in some doubt.

The track was hit by a deluge of rain Friday morning and although it stopped briefly during the afternoon, more is forecast and general manager Tom Burke is hoping for a largely dry night.

"We will have an inspection at 7am and we have had 45 millimetres of rain between 4am and 2pm," said Burke.

"There are bits of casual water on the track but that wouldn't be unusual when you get so much rain in a short period of time.

"We had a similar experience before our last meeting and we raced fine."

"It stopped raining at around 2pm but there is a risk of further showers tonight, although they tell me it should not be as bad as what we've had.

"Most of the track is surprisingly in good condition so we will have to see what the night brings."

Burke described the current going as soft and reassured racegoers that contingency plans are already in place for the card to be take place on Sunday should it fall foul to the elements.

Bucketing down again for the last couple of hours. More likely to be off than on, when the inspection is held tomorrow morning, IMHO.

OFF

OFFICIALS at Leopardstown decided that following a 7am inspection on Saturday the course was unfit for racing but will reasses the situation throughout the afternoon and are confident the meeting can go ahead on Sunday.

The Dublin track was this afternoon due to feature an absorbing rematch between Vodafone Derby hero New Approach and the brilliant Duke Of Marmalade in the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes.

Following over 45 millimetres of rain on Friday officials were forced to call a 7am inspection and contingency plans were put in place for the card to take place on Sunday.

But saturated conditions left course officials with no option but to abandon.
"We nearly made it over the line today but we've had to call off the meeting," confirmed Leopardstown general manager Tom Burke.

"We had over 6mm of rain last night, but the forecast is not too bad and the rain should have cleared by mid-morning."

The bumper eight-race card which is due to feature two Group 1 contests in the Tattersalls Millions Champion Stakes and the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes will npw begin at 1.40pm On Sunday.

Original declarations will stand but due to a clash with Dundalk on the same day, fresh nomination of riders for both meetings would have to be made between 10am and 12.30pm on Saturday.

I'll believe it when I see it. I just had an otter call to the door looking for shelter.
Leinster today

Today is going to be cloudy for a time with outbreaks of rain, possibly heavy in places. Drier later with spells of sunshine developing. A fresh northerly wind. Temperatures slightly below the September average. Max temp 14-17°C (57-63°F).

Leinster tomorrow

Tomorrow looks set to be dry throughout the day with some sunshine from time to time, as well as a variable amount of cloud. A mostly fine evening. There will be a light north-westerly breeze. Max temp 15-18°C (59-64°F).

I'll believe it when I see it. I just had an otter call to the door looking for shelter.
Leinster today

Today is going to be cloudy for a time with outbreaks of rain, possibly heavy in places. Drier later with spells of sunshine developing. A fresh northerly wind. Temperatures slightly below the September average. Max temp 14-17°C (57-63°F).

Leinster tomorrow

Tomorrow looks set to be dry throughout the day with some sunshine from time to time, as well as a variable amount of cloud. A mostly fine evening. There will be a light north-westerly breeze. Max temp 15-18°C (59-64°F).

The ground is still "Soft" and was only postponed due to small parts of the track being water logged. Dry this morning so far and very little if any rain is forecast.

Reading the papers this morning though its sound unlikely that DOM was going to run, whats more Heffernan is now down to ride DOM in the race with Murtagh off the ride Henry in France.

Shameful stuff from RTE:

No Irish coverage for Leopardstown

Tony O'Hehir

SUNDAY'S rescheduled Irish Champion Stakes meeting at Leopardstown willnot be televised by RTE should the meeting pass an early morning inspection.

RTE was due to cover four races including the Group 1 Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes and the Group 1 Matron Stakes on Saturday but the decision to postpone the fixture for 24 hours led to problems with resources and re-scheduling.

Ryle Nugent, commissioning editor for RTE Television sport, said: "We had to make a decision early this morning when the meeting was postponed. Part of the problem was that we had no guarantees that the meeting would go ahead on Sunday.
"We had to look at the situation in terms of resources, re-scheduling and there was also a slight financial concern involved.

"The postponed meeting would have been up against our coverage of the All Ireland Hurling Final and when everything was added up we felt we could not make the call to cover the meeting, especially as we didn't know whether it would actually take place."

Nugent added: "It is regrettable that we won't be covering the meeting, but I hope people will understand the position we found ourselves in. It is the first time in at least seven years that we have not covered a meeting we were scheduled to cover."

Back