Leopardstown Saturday [now Sunday]

I'm not sure the tactics in the Dewhurst were entirely intentional. He broke slowly and didn't have much choice after that.

Hopefully the Waterford crowd will be back in your fine city on Saturday night safe and sound.

Can't think of any reason you would want to stay in Dublin a day later for the demolition that will occur on Sunday afternoon.

We are just happy to be in the final against the gratest hurling team ever.

The horse was injured.

He obviously managed to get enough work into him to have him ready for the Juddmonte. Physically he didn't look as if Bolger had left a lot to work on at Newmarket.

It just doesn't really stack up for me and he's got questions to answer now IMO.

Dont be downplaying things. The people of Waterford are over confident. Go on the cats

I don't know anybody from Waterford who is confident nevermind over confident.I would say we have a genuine 3/1 chance -no better no worse.I thought we should have been about 11/10 against Tipp.

Absolutely pissed rain in Kildare this morning, around 40 minutes from the track. I note alot of bookies have removed their prices? Anything up?

Lewis Porteous

MOST of the leading bookmakers have suspended betting on Saturday's Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown, following informed money for Derby hero New Approach.

Jim Bolger's stable star has replaced Duke Of Marmalade as the new favourite for Saturday's big race on Betfair. New Approach is now a 2.1 chance to back while Duke Of Marmalade has drifted to 2.54 (11.45am) and hit a high of 4.1. There has also been support for Aidan O'Brien's other runners in the race.

Ladbrokes Spokesman David Williams confirmed the support for New Approach. “We were laying lots of New Approach this morning, slightly more than we would have expected. So we have decided to take a break until the picture becomes clear,” said Williams.

Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin commented: “It could well be a falsemove, and we are certainly not talking big sums here, but a drift to 3-1 for Duke of Marmalade is obviously worrying for his weekend supporters.”

Leopardstown Saturday

Just read this on the met.ie website....Leopardstown could be like a bog come Saturday....
=====================

Apart from perhaps a few showers, Thursday night will start off dry. However heavy or thundery rain will spread from the south across Munster and Leinster overnight and become widespread on Friday. Leinster, Munster and east Ulster will get the largest amounts of rain, with over 25 mm likely in places and a risk of flooding. Winds will be fresh to strong northeasterly and temperatures will reach the mid to high teens. The rain will clear eastwards through Friday night and Saturday. Winds will become northerly and continue fresh to strong. While much of the western half of the country will be mostly dry on Sunday, there's possibility that further falls of rain will return to east Munster, Leinster and east Ulster. Winds will be lighter. Temperatures over the weekend will range from the mid to high teens.

Awh, that explains the movement I think. It is similar to the one that occured when testing ground looked likely at York...DOM was odds against but that was due to the conditions rather than him being a likely non-runner.

Leopardstown dried out to "Good" this morning.

From the Daily Telegraph Site tonight....Duke runs.

Duke of Marmalade set for Leopardstown

Aidan O’Brien intends to run Duke of Marmalade in the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown.

By Marcus Armytage
Last Updated: 8:38PM BST 03 Sep 2008

This despite bookmakers having suspended betting on his much-anticipated 'rematch' with the Derby winner New Approach.

“The score is exactly the same as it has been all week,” said O’Brien.

“Everything’s fine this end and the plan is to run, but the ground, as I’ve said all week, is a concern. The rain hasn’t reached Leopardstown yet but it’s wet across the rest of Ireland, it’s been a terrible summer for the rain.”

The ground at Leopardstown, on the outskirts of Dublin, is still good, but up to 20mm of rain have been forecast to fall by Thursday night.

On Monday morning Duke of Marmalade, winner of five Group Ones from as many starts this season including the International a fortnight ago, was a 1-2 shot while New Approach was 2-1.

However, an abnormal number of large bets, described by bookmakers William Hill as a “huge surge of money” on the second favourite against almost nothing for Duke of Marmalade, prompted bookmakers to suspend betting on the contest. When Hills reopened their market Duke of Marmalade was out to 4-5 with New Approach 11-10.

Coral planned not to reopen betting until the 48-hour declaration stage. “We’ll let the dust settle,” said Simon Clare, their spokesman. “It’s a low turnover race and at the moment it’s effectively a match bet.”

Duke Of Marmalade, Red Rock Canyon and King Of Rome will run in the Irish Champion while Coolmore will run all four of their entries in the Matron.

Looking at the RTE weather forecast last night, today was promised to be mostly dry, with possible local heavy showers (looks ok here in the city now about 7 miles from the course). Tomorrow is supposed to be localised heavy thundery showers and Saturday dull and miserable but not too wet. So tomorrow looks the main danger.

A danger alright:

Friday will be a windy and a mostly cloudy day. Mainly dry over Ulster and Connacht at first with a few bright spells, but spells of heavy and thundery rain in the Southeast and East in the morning will extend westwards during the afternoon and evening. Winds will be strong and gusty northeasterly with gales along eastern coasts and some flooding is likely over parts of east Leinster and east Ulster.

1 6 Baharah
2 1 Cheyenne Star
3 9 Dimenticata
4 3 Lady Gloria
5 10 Mooretown Lady
6 12 Carribean Sunset
7 11 Halfway To Heaven
8 7 Listen
9 2 Lush Lashes
10 4 Nahoodh
11 8 Psalm(106)
12 5 You'resothrilling

1 8 Duke Of Marmalade
2 2 Lord Admiral
3 7 Mores Wells
4 3 Multidimensional
5 4 Red Rock Canyon
6 1 Traffic Guard
7 9 She's Our Mark
8 6 King Of Rome
9 5 New Approach

Miserable day here. Pissing down all morning and no sign of respite. It would need to stop fairly shortly to avoid heavy ground. If it keeps on as it is now it will be going into the realms of waterlogging.

It is absolutely wicked at the moment in the centre of town. The rain is bucketing down and is forecast to continue for the day. You wouldn't put a dog out in it!

Even the "micro climate" of Leopardstown is not going to avoid this. Minimum the ground will be tomorrow is soft...possibly the word heavy will be in the description also.

I doubt Duke of Marmalade will run. O'Brien said that if the 20 to 30 mm of rain that was predicted actually hit the course he would have to review the situation. I reckon that much has fallen already and there is still no sign of it stopping. If as much rain is falling on Leopardstown as there is here in town, there must be some doubt about the meeting going ahead.

Back