Leopardstown Sunday

Guest_

At the Start
Great card....ground was on the easy side at declaration stage but it was a stunning day today with temperatures around 17 degrees and another is set for tomorrow so the ground at Leopardstown will be drying out all the time.

Nice to see all the top yards represented in the two year old race tomorrow. The Ballydoyle newcomer ran a fine race today at Naas so it will be interesting to see how Air Chief Marshal goes considering its probably more likely O'Brien will introduce a nicer sort over 6 furlongs these days than 5. Still get the feeling he'll still need this run. Xtraxtra has the experience and has shown ability in each of his starts but I think the winner will come from Market Puzzle of Shabassh. Stack's juveniles have served me well down the years and they nearly always are a backable price despite his great record with the juveniles.

Three Rocks goes for his fourth win of the season and looks the class horse of this race. I am not sure about the mile for him though but if he gets it I think he will be very hard to beat. Will certainly open plenty of options if he can get this trip and I said a few weeks back he looks a group horse in the making. I think Poet will be a huge threat today, this is his trip and ground and I think he will leave his run at The Curragh behind him today. The other one to respect is Kargali who won well in heavy conditions in the Gladness but think he would probably prefer softer conditions that what he is likely to encounter here.

Ballysax Stakes looks a cracker and I think the winner is between the Oxx pair Mourayan and Vitruvian Man. I have heard to reports of Mourayan the first being that he was most impressive in a workout after racing here the last day and that they were thrilled with him. The other was that he had a little set back early this week or late last week which is a concern though Oxx would not be one to chance him if he was not 100% happy with him. I think VM might be the forgotten horse though as he was totally unsuited to how he was ridden last time against Rayeni when readily outpaced after making the running. He looked a top class prospect previous to that and looks the sort that would not be hard to get fit at home. If I was to stake my life on the winner today I would go for Mourayan but at 8/1 VM is just too big a price. Of the others I cannot see Fame And Glory being ready to win this first time out with a penalty - he'll be top class if he does and would deserve to be challenging for Derby favouritism. I think Hail Caesar could be the dark horse with the ground and trip in his favour plus having the benefit of a run already when he was far from knocked about. Interesting that Weld runs the filly in this but it was a weak maiden that she won while the Bolger horse is surely down the pecking order at home but deserves respect given the stable form.

Next race looks a race to keep a close eye on for the future. I backed Stately Home and Yankee Doodle a few weeks back for the Derby at crazy prices as I heard they were two of three unraced/once raced colts that can be expected to be above average this season. But this looks a hot race with Oxx's Big Game Hunter likely to be a different animal to the one we saw at the backend of last season and Barrell Of Fun having run well against Rockhamption and Pirate Ship at Leopardstown. Bolger introduces a son of Mr Greeley. Nice race but I will be particularly interested in how Stately Home runs.

Paddy Power had priced Three Rocks up at 11/4 which looked absurd, they have since cut him to 5/2 and have now suspended betting on the horse. He has hosed up every race this year and in very smart times too, particularly last time out at Tipperary. My only real concern would be those races, particularly the last leaving a mark on him.

I was considering a hefty bet on him but talked myself out of it as Kargali and Estrela Brage worried me if Three Rocks struggle with the extra furlong and another tough race in quick succession. Luckily, Paddy Power have made my mind up for me now!

Three Rocks looks as strong as a bull and coming from Bolgers I don't think the the hectic schedule will be against him. He's up against proper black type horses now though so he's poor value.I'll go for the lighly raced Tian shan at an e/w price to win again with Kargali the one to beat.

Looks a good two year old maiden to start. The O'Brien runner and Prendergast runner are from classy early families and Bolger has a USD90k filly by street cry.

As much as I hate getting drawn into betting in Ireland:p - I shall have to have a go at one today.

The maiden at 4.25 looks a good opportunity for BARREL OF FUN. Even though Pirate Ship got beat other night..not convinced it were given much chance in that race tbh....(fin 2nd in BOF last run) ...this still looks likely to take the beating here imo.

AOB could be described as not firing yet, he runs Stately Home ..who its fair to say... will need this looking at AOB's recent runners.

AOB's last 19 runners have all been beat..they included many fancied ones ...13 were 7/2 or less in the betting...4 were fav's. No one could really be too confident of his runners at the moment looking at that layers paradise.

Dermot Weld has won 3 of the 4 runnings of this race..all were fav or joint.

Barrel Of Fun trades at 3.0 at the moment

Good stuff, Gal.

The Ballysax looks an informative race, indeed - particularly with a solid gallop likely given the presence of Tarankali and Dixie Music. I wouldn't be keen to oppose Mourayan at around 11/8 myself - his form looks solid enough and I reckon he has more pace than many might suspect. In the longer term it will be interesting to see how he fares on faster ground - his action would seem to suggest that he's best with cut in the ground.

Fergus McIver is an interesting contender as well - travelled nicely before looking a shade green in front last time out at the Curragh. Will have to step up on that but Bolger team in flying form at the minute and further progress looks likely.

Mourayan is way too short at 6/4.

1. Will be found wanting for toe here imo.

2. needed the run FTO and after a 2 month break last year..so unlikely to be match fit after 5 months away.

3. Plenty in with chances here

4. race had had 4 winners at or above 10/1 in 10 years - so shocks aren't unusual in this

i've laid it for £1.87

Heritage Stakes looks a tricky enough race. Poet should come on for his last run but, even so, Estrela Brage looks a nice E/W price at 12's.

Backed Mister Tee in the 2yo maiden this morning as well.

Very nice two year old there....well on top at the end. Gold Bubbles looks a Coventry Stakes type horse.

Last edited:
Gal,
Any thoughts on how "good" the ground could be before he would start to feel it? He won in a bog at the back-end of last year.

Gal,
Any thoughts on how "good" the ground could be before he would start to feel it? He won in a bog at the back-end of last year.

Fair question, I thought he travelled like a very classy horse today and not just a plodder. In truth when you look back at his run in France he was pretty unimpressive in slowly run race...could be argued his most impressive performance has come on the first occasion he has met better ground.

O'Brien said: "I am delighted with that performance, he should improve a good deal from this run, as all of mine do.
"We may come back here for the Derrinstown (May 10), but that is just one of our options."

Thought Fame and Glory travelled well and won nicely but the second horse i thought may not have had the best run around the bottom bend and it may have cost him any chance of challenging. I wouldnt rule him out yet.

What part of Fame And Glory's pedigree suggests 12 furlongs will not suit him even better than the 10 furlongs? Plus the fact they will be racing off level weights the next day as well...

Yep, the Oxx horse got shuffled back on the bend, JM came up on the outside and closed the door. Still Jim Bolger should have a good line on the form through Fergus McIver, i am sure he rates Gan Amhras alot better than Fergus.

I think Fame And Glory will need ease in the ground to be at his best. The Irish Derby may suit him better than what he might face at Epsom. If he goes for the Derrinstown, he will have the G1 penalty again.

I thought Fergus might have hit a bad bit of ground on the rail today and Johnny came wide on Fame and Glory and the maiden winner. The best ground may have been on the outside today.

Back