Leopardstown Sunday

What part of Fame And Glory's pedigree suggests 12 furlongs will not suit him even better than the 10 furlongs? Plus the fact they will be racing off level weights the next day as well...

i didn't mean that

in todays race the 2nd would have won with a bit further to travel, was catching the winner hand over fist after being shuffled back

Hard not to be impressed with the way Fame and Glory travelled through the race today. Took a little while to hit top gear when Murtagh asked him a question, but picked up nicely in the last furlong and was well on top at the finish. Granted the type of improvement typically forthcoming from Ballydoyle horses at this stage of the season he must be considered a serious Derby prospect.

Having said Mourayan has more pace than many might give him credit for this morning, have to admit I was off the mark on that score on the evidence of today. Wouldn't blame traffic problems for him losing his place swinging in to the straight, as he just didn't look to have the tactical speed to get into a challenging position. Will be better given a stiffer test but I wouldn't necessarily be backing him to turn around the form with the O'Brien horse.

i was surprised you concluded that tbh - over 12f we'll see a different horse imo

Market sugggested that Fame And Glory was expected to improve for todays run and he won't have a penalty to contend with. It was just his third start of his career and won this comfortably. No reason why the Oxx horse should reverse form.

I'd watch again Gal, then imagine another 2f

I layed the fav and was relieved when they turned in..thought I was safe..filled em in the last furlong

you are overestimating the winners superiority here imo

do you not think Mourayan will improve for the run?..his form last year tells you he will

I'd watch again Gal, then imagine another 2f

I layed the fav and was relieved when they turned in..thought I was safe..filled em in the last furlong

you are overestimating the winners superiority here imo

do you not think Mourayan will improve for the run?..his form last year tells you he will

His defeat to See The Stars had nothing to do with needing a run, he was beaten by a better horse simple as that.

Murtagh used the whip just twice and did not go to it in the last have furlong using just hands and heels. He was giving him 5lbs and was not pushed out to beat him. Mourayan should indeed improve for the run and for fitness but the Ballydoyle colt should do the same if not to a greater extent and is starting off from a higher level.

Not to say he will win the Derby but I see no reason for the Oxx horse to improve past him.

Two very smart horses , it seemed to be forgotten before the race that fame and Glory is a Grp 1 winner. I thought possibly he would need 1m4f to be at his best having won over a distance as a 2 yr old but he travelled very well and has plenty of pace. Mourayan looked like he would need the run before the race but showed a nice turn of foot at the end. Oxx will be satisfied with that run . Someone asked Oxx when did he know he had a top horse with Sinndar and he said that it was when he got beaten by Grand finale in the same race. He leaves plenty to work with. Mourayan will go to the Derby.

Sea the stars form of last year is being bolstered everywhere, average improvement with him will show a champion race horse.

O'Brien often produces one for the Irish Derby in that maiden and stately home was very impressive. I didn't notice an issue with the head carriage. Murtagh had his hands full the whole way around.

I guess that's the last time this year I'll get two Aidan O'Brien winners both at 5/1. Class, informative racing today.

Also amazing performance from Bolgers two year old, v immature looking, must have some engine.

Fame and Glory will win the Derby.

Correct.I was ready to dismiss this horse on the grounds that Drumbeat who he narrowly beat in France is useless.I reckon he is a horse who keeps his best for the track and will relish the extra distance in the Derby.Its only the course that can beat him at Epsom.

Sea the stars form of last year is being bolstered everywhere, average improvement with him will show a champion race horse.

Very encouraging alright. He's the most fascinating element in the Guineas for me.

Watched again this morning. Mourayan didn't get any help from the other O'brien runners (without anything untoward) and Kinane was a bit slow to react too. It will be a lot closer the next time, even baring in mind FAG was giving weight.

O'Brien didn't seem to be putting FAG forward as his number one candidate too much, and before considering him as a betting proposition, I'd be thinking he is going to have at least another 5/6 running in trials, and FAG's pecking order can't be known till then, and this is all without considering horses from other stables.

What part of Fame And Glory's pedigree suggests 12 furlongs will not suit him even better than the 10 furlongs? Plus the fact they will be racing off level weights the next day as well...

Indeed so... Fame And Glory wants 12 furlongs and will get further.

Last edited:
The Ballydoyle two year old is fascinating in that its bred in the purple but cost absolutely nothing at the sales. Think he should be opposed.

I am really sweet on Yankee Doodle in the maiden, hot maiden the last day and likely to improve alot for that run.

Last edited:
Back