Lockinge Stakes

Interesting. My view was that DT has to get first run because Canford has the better turn of foot.

That's the way he has been ridden when Canford is around, I would love to see what happens if he is allowed keep something in reserve for the end of the race and ridden just off the pace.

If the same Canford Cliffs that won the Sussex turns up at Newbury, he'll smash this lot up. He's in a different league to Dick Turpin. Hannon knows it, Hughes knows it, the ones that don't seem to just the owner of Dick Turpin and a few on this board.

(please note this post is deliberately inflammatory!)

If the same Canford Cliffs that won the Sussex turns up at Newbury, he'll smash this lot up. He's in a different league to Dick Turpin. Hannon knows it, Hughes knows it, the ones that don't seem to just the owner of Dick Turpin and a few on this board.

Get off the fence Johnson!!!

Think your being a little unfair to the owner but should Canford destroy 'this lot' than the few on here have it coming.

All I ask is that the horse is ridden on his merits and not as cannon fodder for Canford. I think there is the possibility that he is as good as Canford.
Deals in the offing last year may have affected riding tactics.

I am not a fan of Dick Turpin.

But tell me how often the "Canford Cliffs that won the Sussex" has turned up on the racecourse.

Probably just the once to be honest. But they made a mess of him in the Greenham and 2000. The form doesn't stack up as good, but the impression to me is that he wasn't far from being a similar horse at Royal Ascot.

I suspect that he might be an easy horse to "make a mess of". You, Hughes and Hannon are probably right about his superiority, but no-one is going to get rich backing the horse.

This race is set up for a tasty each-way punt, and I am not going to resist the urge.

I have no doubts that Dick Turpin is as good as Canford Cliffs, every figure I hold for them both suggests so and I fully expect to be proven right on Saturday. :D

I can see how people might want to make a case for DT being as good as Canford, but this is really nowhere near reality as david points out.

They know what they have got. When they say this is the best horse they have trained they're not kidding. Canford is pure class, whereas DT is an honest horse capable of running to a decent mark... the difference between them is appreciable.

There is simply no proof that Canford is a superior animal, he has put in one run which could be considered better on a ratings level (The Sussex). DT has beat him two out of three times, his third to Goldikova is as strong as Canford's form and on the clock he's consistently as good as if not better than CC.

There is simply no proof that Canford is a superior animal, he has put in one run which could be considered better on a ratings level (The Sussex). DT has beat him two out of three times, his third to Goldikova is as strong as Canford's form and on the clock he's consistently as good as if not better than CC.

There is the most compelling proof. The proof of your own eyes... watch and see.

DT has no answer to Canford's gear changes.

Last edited:
Canford may well be better. Who knows. The facts are these:

Dick Turpin is fit and will benefit from a run (Canford isn't and showed last year this could be an issue - this rubbish of they didn't know how to ride him - he was ridden the same in all his races, he just came on and improved)
Dick Turpin has won 2 of their 3 clashes
Dick Turpin looks better this season (Canford not yet seen)
Dick Turpin is more than 6 times the price of Canford
Dick Turpin looks more flexible in terms of race tactics

All that can mean is only one horse is a bet for saturday.

Canford may well be better. Who knows.

...I do. ;)

If you bet against Canford on Saturday you lose. There is no value in the race. Back Canford or avoid it. This is the only way you'll show a profit unless backing for places.

...I do. ;)

If you bet against Canford on Saturday you lose. There is no value in the race. Back Canford or avoid it. This is the only way you'll show a profit unless backing for places.

Will you be refunding all losing bets on Canford should DT be ridden correctly and beat him :D

If Canford was 4/11 and Dick Turpin was 9/1, would you still back Canford?

I wouldn't have a bet under those circumstances. I'll go big on Canford at around evens (if I can get it) but you couldn't really tempt me at any price on DT... I might have a quid at 100/1.

That's in the past the trick is to get it right in the future.

Canford is clear best in his division. We can't say that about Fame And Glory, good as he is.

Canford probably isn't even clear third best in his division. :)

Timeform ratings: Canford Cliffs 131, Dick Turpin 128+
Racing Post Ratings: Canford Cliffs 130, Dick Turpin 124
Official Ratings: Canford Cliffs 127, Dick Turpin 124

Quite so. But the ratings only tell half the story. DT has run to his ability, Canford hasn't shown us his game yet. He is better than his rating as he will go on to prove.

Canford's ability to change gear is the other half of the story and will be decisive.

So, just to be clear, there will be no excuses on saturday such as luck, come on for the run, etc? :p

So, just to be clear, there will be no excuses on saturday such as luck, come on for the run, etc? :p

If he falls down a hole or is struck by lightning he might only be placed I suppose... which is why I wont take 4/11.

Tsunamis aside though, no excuses.:cool:

Last edited:
Back