Melbourne Cup 2007

Just saw a video of Zipping's race in the Mackinon.. takes the term prep race to a whole new level... :what:

Think Purple Moon has a right chance myself.. have had a small bet for an interest..

Ah well...cudnt quite sleep so gonna go out and watch the race, just looked at the form for a few mins and very hard to draw any conclusion.

I like The Fuzz but not sure about horses who have such a small turnaround between a race at the weekend and a big one like this. Gearoid's selection has the right profile all things considered. Would like to see Mahler run well but is he mature enough for this?!

The Fuzz is NR

Some Aus guy on Sky radio just said he really liked On A Jeune, currently 40 on BF

Shame I didn't back Mahler place as well as win! -
Just listening to the jockey being interviewed coming in on Efficient, great fun
Sounds like Mahler put in a brave run for a young horse

they had purple moon's on ATR with Chapman just before race started, said the key was not getting into the front too soon.....ironic as it turned out!

Cracking run from Mahler...they'll bring him back, surely...

Huge runs from Purple Moon and Mahler. The former just got tired in the last few yards and Mahler just didn't have that turn of foot but stayed forever.

Fantastic finish, just gutted Purple Moon couldn't hold on.. winner produced an electrifying turn of foot to win it though..

Mahler ran an absolute cracker as well.. right on the pace throughout, but just doesn't have the turn of foot needed to win the Melbourne Cup..

Amazed at how slow they went for much of the race, yet how strung out they were..

Excellent runs I thought from Purple Moon and Mahler. Thought Purple Moon was unlucky not to win... went to the front and then veered off to the left and got nailed. Might have went too soon but the winner was flying at the end.
Mahler just has not enought toe at the business end. stays forever and might have done better with a stronger pace. Purple Moon will surely be back next year and take some beating.

Yes, I reckon Ballydoyle will take three next year to make sure they get the right pace LOL

Interesting that people thought 4yr olds couldn't win this, yet they took 1st and 3rd

Efficient's win yesterday was an exact reflection of his win in the VRC Derby of 2006.

This horse was meant to have run in the Cup last year, with 49 kilograms, however went amiss 24 hours prior to starting.

Amazing that he has come back 12 months exactly nearly to the day he won the Derby, completely out of form to win the Cup.

Aidan O'Brien has stated on the news this morning he will be coming back in 2008 with more horses. Its something he now wants on his trophy cabinet, understandably.

I can see this now turning into a big assault for him, and not only seeing him try and win the Cup, but also the Cox Plate and Caulfield Cup.
The money is there, especially now that Australian Dollar is paying 95 cents to the USD.

Also makes sense in terms of their worldwide breeding operation, to to get that kind of exposure Down Under... also gives a better chance to their staying stallion prospects, in terms of standing them in the Southern hempisphere where stamina is more valued?

"...in terms of standing them in the Southern hempisphere where stamina is more valued?"

In New Zealand perhaps, but certainly not in Australia, which hasn't bred a winner of the Cup so far this century.

As always another great day.

It's hard to describe being in Australia on Cup day. It truly is our greatest day of national celebration.

In 1895 Mark Twain attended the Cup and wrote ....

Nowhere in the world have I encountered a festival of people that has such a magnificent appeal to the whole nation. The Cup astonishes me.[/I]

Nothings changed.

The winners a wonderful stayer. He had only had four runs in this time. On the face of it those runs were disappointing but the longest of them was over 10f and he definitely looked like he needed longer. (I didn't back him.) The Cup was obviously his sole purpose this year and everything was geared for that.

From a form analysis point of view, it reinforced that each year the contenders tend to fall into two categories. Those that are safely in the field and being prepared solely for the first tuesday in November and those that are trying to peak multiple times in an effort to make the field. I think a different approach is needed when assessing both camps when it comes to race day.

Purple Moon and Mahler put in great races. I don't really think Oliver went too early, he gave PM a wonderful ride through the race and he was just beaten by the better horse on the day. However it should be noted that the Flemington track seems to be favoring horses coming down the middle so moving in wouldn't have helped much.

As I said in earlier posts I had Mahler at big early odds going for my biggest ever win. It wasn't to be. :(

If the race was run again I think Baster would be far more aggressive on him, either rolling to the early lead rather than sitting outside Tungsten Strike who was racing one off the fence or making it a truer staying test by making his move earlier. Those options however wouldn't be the natural ones for a typical Australian stayer. Us aussies are always going on about how the overseas riders ride the imports however with a horse like Mahler were the tempo is of crucial importance I think knowledge of the horse may have been extremely beneficial. I'm not criticising Baster, but I doubt he has ever ridden a horse that could take it up then stick on like Mahler.

Be interesting to see what O'Brien does next year after getting a taste of Cup week. It would be great to see a real topliner out here however I suppose the handicap conditions and the timing of the Arc make that unlikely.

And remember, it's only 364 sleeps until the next Cup. The planning has already started and the early markets will be out by the weekend, gee I'm getting excited already. :)

Great post Wenona! Btw I texted a friend* to see if she and her partner were coming to Huntingdon tomorrow - she texted back to say they're in Melbourne :eek:
She said the atmosphere yesterday had to be experienced to be believed! - they're having a fantastic time

That's a good point, what you say about the preparations of the horses trying to peak and trying to make the cut, as regards betting - the same is true of the Grand National come to think of it, that other huge handicap of world interest

Agreed, it will be interesting to see whether AOB uses his own jockeys next year. He made it clear though he wanted at least two horses oveer

[btw UG, she's a 'sole owner' - *and* an Elite member :suspect: Must be a 'fruitcake' then]

For people's interest - I just added up the tote holdings for the race.

The win, place, quinella, exacta, trifecta and first 4 pools in Australia total - just for the Melbourne Cup race was over $135 million. Just tote - no bookmaker holdings - just the one race.

Australia's population is 20 million - so that's $6.75 per man, woman and child!

Back