Melbourne Cup 2007

Yes, Powerscourt.

On 20 October, Caulfield Cup day, the going was given as Dead for the first two races, but was changed to Good as the sun started to dry out the ground.

Mind you, to judge from the times recorded, their version of Good is more like our Good to Firm.

I think Dead means pretty much the same as Good over here.

Both the RP paper and website only carry the card for the Cup. Does anyone know where I can find the card for the entire meeting?

ive gone for DOuro Valley for a place, got some good form ties witht he principals & its a specualtive £20. i wont be getting up though, thanks to sky plus.

going to be laying Purple Moon win and place, 2m will stretch his stamina and he has been killed by the Handicapper for winning a weak Ebor.

Mahler is very well handicapped when you compare his form with Purple Moon. Purple Moon gave two Lbs to Honolulu and beat him in the Ebor by 3/4 L. Now PM has to give 7 Lbs to Mahler and Mahler has proved himself a better horse than his staplemate based on his last run. The distance will be no problem for Mahler

I have no idea who will win the Cup, but I wouldn't be put off Purple Moon just on stamina grounds.

"They" always say you ideally need a 12 to 14f horse in this race.

Mahler makes sense theoretically, but I don't think he's got the tactical speed he'll need. Doesn't sound like he's had the best preparation either, despite AOB's presence out there.

Originally posted by Powerscourt+Nov 5 2007, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Powerscourt @ Nov 5 2007, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Triptych@Nov 5 2007, 01:08 PM
Both the RP paper and website only carry the card for the Cup. Does anyone know where I can find the card for the entire meeting?
http://www.tvg.com/forms/melbournepps.pdf [/b][/quote]
Thanks Powerscourt.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is going to be streamed online anywhere? Currently staying at my parents as my sister is in hospital, and she only has freeview (sod!).

Would appreciate it if anyone could find me some links, I've looked myself but cant find anything...

There's a full racecard for the Cup on the RP site - it's here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ccfp7

I've read everything on this thread, and I' still not much the wiser! - so I'll stick with my win bet on Mahler at 18. Hope for lots of reasons he wins...

Anybody else planning on pulling the all-nighter tonight? Have a feeling I might be a touch under the weather tommorrow... :D

I am. That's if I don't overdose on caffeine first........
Fortunately I had the foresight to take tomorrow off.

Nothing says November like getting up in the middle of the night for 20 minutes of international horse racing.

The Fuzz is also out so 22 runners left.

Just saw the first and second races races and the track looks in great condition...lots of sun and very windy so I see no problem regarding the going.

I think it would be good in GB/IRE and the grass in cut very low.

Just watched the third race...shockin incident. I would put it on the fatalities thread but that's full of breeding trivia now.

Bedtime for me! [tho not cos of the fatality, just the time]

The fatality was apparently Bay Story, who used to be with Mark Johnson - can anyone tell me what happened? - don't have atr and nothing to watch on, just read it on another forum.

I'll put up something on the fatalities thread once I know what happened - did he break a leg? Sounds like other horses were brought down too.

Unbelievable bad luck for Brian Ellison, after his disasters out there with Carte Diamond.
The owner Ashley Carr flew over form England in the last day or two, too, poor thing
The horse was supposed to be in the Cup, has been out there for months being prepared for it - but just missed the cut [by one I think] - if he'd won the race last weekend won by Sculptor he'd have got in, as Sculptor has.

I've had place bets on Sculptor and Sirmione, as well as the small win bet on Mahler at 18

The two riders for Gallic and The Fuzz, Steven Arnold and Craig Williams, have now picked up the rides on Scenic Shot and Railings.

I guess you could say they are lucky, but their horses have very limited chances of winning/placing.

Have just been down to the TAB (which is the betting agency off course in Australia) this morning. I was in there at 8:00am, and had to line up for 25 mins. CRAZY STUFF!

The line now is almost 1 1/2 hours long, and out the door in the street.

You know its Cup day when this happens!

have found an Aus radio site sport927 giving word commentary, but would love to find any online showing of the race -
if nothing, maybe it will go up on YouTube quickly...

Back