Miling Division 2010

Classy performance....from CC. First two pulled nicely clear.

Agree about the first part but they were not far enough ahead of the rest for any decent rating to be achieved.

Good ride by Moore on Rip, but I thought he should have being going past his pacemaker on the bridle if he was going to win. He's regressed 7/8 pounds since last season which is a shame.

CC travels like a dream. Probably capable of more but still not a great miling year..

You could be right Hamm....only saw the race once, felt like they pulled rightly clear.

Think Rip Van Winkle should improve for that again and may well need 10 furlongs now at this stage.

Interesting to see where Canford goes next....will he take in the French mile races?

Probably needs another bit alright as a top Group 1 miler should have been cruising past Encompassing. Where next? I think the Irish Champion would be ideal for him but it seems unlikely..

Yes, he should probably go to the Jacques le Marois and you would think he will have to go up against Paco Boy - will be interesting to see who Hughes rides.

Not sure Gal - Hannon didn't seem overly keen on Deauville post-Ascot which would leave the Moulin in France and QEII at Ascot.

IIRC they didn't want to take any of their top milers to the Breeders Cup so I guess it's between those two mile races and the Foret for the three of them.

Watching it again...

1) Hughes did the right thing at purposely missing the break...gave him the clear option of coming wide (only a small field) and save him getting trapped on the rail.

2) Moore did not really chase the pace at all, resulting in the pacemaker going on but the rest of the field going nothing more than just a respectable pace. Suggests to me Rip was still not cherry ripe - interesting to see what their big target is with him.

3) CC really does have great acceleration, makes the jockey's life so much easier knowing it is literally touch button change of pace.

You'd have to have a lot of faith in Aidan O'Brien to make any case at all for Rip Van Winkle reversing that form later in the season.

Canford put his best performance to date,

about Rip
good run, recovering some level,

I think winner run to a mark of 127 today and Rip is likely to reverse the form if back to last years level.

Agree about the first part but they were not far enough ahead of the rest for any decent rating to be achieved

doesnt that tend to be the case at goodwood though?

The other issues with RVW is whether they would risk a further defeat with him? Im far from a follower of the stallion market, but would this start to look a bit negative? I suppose with his foot problems, his value is downgraded a littloe anyway

And has he regressed or are this years bunch a little better than credited so far?

I think winner run to a mark of 127 today and Rip is likely to reverse the form if back to last years level

thats some call given the way CC picked him off

Last edited:
Well it depends on what you think Rip Van Winkle ran to today in comparison to his best?

I don't think it does. Hard to think that Rip Van Winkle was closer than 5-7 lb away from his best, but he got a perfect ride, got first run and has still been pegged back rather easily.

Canford Cliffs might not have shown on bare form today that he's around a 130 performer, but there's little doubt in my mind after today that he is.

doesnt that tend to be the case at goodwood though?

The other issues with RVW is whether they would risk a further defeat with him? Im far from a follower of the stallion market, but would this start to look a bit negative? I suppose with his foot problems, his value is downgraded a littloe anyway

And has he regressed or are this years bunch a little better than credited so far?

I would expect them to run Rip again for sure - they have to off that run. Do not rate him as a stallion prospect, remarkably weak pedigree relatively speaking to many of his stablemates.

Canford Cliffs is definitely better than I gave him credit for earlier in the season. Beethoven was beaten virtually the same distance at Ascot as he was today.

They know where they are with Canford. Paco Boy has improved from last year and they still favoured Canford for this. He doesn't need to win by half the straight when he can sit on them and use his gears like this. This was a very high calbre performance. I don't expect it to get a massive rating, but in this respect he is in the same boat as STS in that he's always going to be better than his rating shows.

There is not another miler in the world that can hold a candle to this colt. He'll beat all of them and they have little chance of reversing form.

Cheers Gal. That makes sense

Sometimes, yes, but he got a very high rating in this race last year..

True, but for me that was almost the best performance of any horse last season.

Canford cliffs is turning out better than most expected i think. The assumptions were "another Hannon cheap two year old". Hes a brilliant miler IMO and i believe we havent seen the best yet

Well done, Steve. It must be very satisfying when an odds-on shot wins very narrowly :p

I think Hughes got away with it today becasue Rip wasn't 100%. He weakened by somewhere between ½l-1l inside the last 100 yards or so, if you measure the distance he was clear of the remainder.

Once Rip is back to his best, the rematch, if it ever happens, will be interesting.

They know where they are with Canford. Paco Boy has improved from last year and they still favoured Canford for this. He doesn't need to win by half the straight when he can sit on them and use his gears like this. This was a very high calbre performance. I don't expect it to get a massive rating, but in this respect he is in the same boat as STS in that he's always going to be better than his rating shows.

There is not another miler in the world that can hold a candle to this colt. He'll beat all of them and they have little chance of reversing form.

Not quite - Paco Boy didn't run as they felt he didn't handle Goodwood last year ...

Your last point is very, very wide of the mark. He has more than half a stone to improve to get near Goldikova. He is a very good Group 1 miler but no more, and it is quite likely he could be beaten by at least 1 of his stablemates should they race before the end of the season..

Back