Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Look forward to laying him for a place first time out-hopefully I will have a winning bet between now and then.

Fire enough shots and youl hit something.

I went through a spell there over two weeks where i had 4 soccer accums beaten in injury time...one team was 3-1 up with the clock ticking 90 and they got done. I have got beaten in the golf by a hole in one on a playoff hole, and i seen a ante post bet on the co championship go t*ts up when the only all star in the county had a last minute penalty saved.

Finally turned around yesterday, done a bet to small stakes, five horses, various doubles and trebles and accums. Even still there was a hard luck story, four winners, the fifth horse was second at 8/1. The difference was huge. It paid 4 figures instead of 5. Still, i had a winning bet...

William Hill have opened betting on who will become the next retained stable jockey at Ballydoyle after Johnny Murtagh. The bookies, who were responding to a number of requests from punters for the market, have installed Pat Smullen as their 6-4 favourite to succeed Murtagh when he eventually leaves the Coolmore outfit.
The flamboyant Frenchman Christophe Soumillon is the 7-2 second favourite to get the job, while Aidan O’Brien’s son Joseph, who has ridden 34 winners this season, is next in the betting at 5-1.
Other interesting contenders, when the vacancy becomes available, could be the former British Champion jockey Ryan Moore (11-2), this year’s British title runner-up Richard Hughes (7-1) and Goldikova’s jockey Olivier Peslier.
‘We received a number of requests for the market on Sunday morning,’ said Hills Irish spokesman Tony Kenny, ‘It was a bit of a surprise because Johnny is doing such a great job at Balydoyle.’
‘Pat Smullen is our favourite at the moment, but whoever gets the job after Johnny will have some mighty boots to fill.’
Next Retained Ballydoyle Stable Jockey after Johnny Murtagh: (William Hill bet): 6-4 Pat Smullen, 7-2 Christophe Soumillon, 5-1 Joseph O’Brien, 11-2 Ryan Moore, 7-1 Olivier Peslier, Richard Hughes, 8-1 Fran Berry, 9-1 Kieran Fallon, 10-1 Garrett Gomez, Steven Arnold, 12-1 Declan McDonogh, 16-1 Seamus Heffernan, Colm O’Donoghue, Kent Desormeaux, 20-1 Paul Hanagan, 33-1 Frankie Dettori, 50-1 Mike Smith – others on request (Bets void if new stable jockey isn’t announced by the end of 2011 plus

Oh as far as I know he is definitely gone. There will be an announcement soon but no idea who will replace him.

Do people think they will announce a definate replacement, or "Use the best riders available"??

If i could pick one and they were all interested it would be Peslier.

Oh as far as I know he is definitely gone. There will be an announcement soon but no idea who will replace him.

Do you know why he is leaving ?

When you look an the options available to Ballydoyle I can't really see one that is talented enough or likely to last.

They'd have to take a punt on someone like Buick.

Last edited:
Do people think they will announce a definate replacement, or "Use the best riders available"??

I can't really see that working out simply due to the fact that, if you look at the really big races, the vast majority of the best riders available are already tied up.

Smullen must be a fairly warm order I would think. Is there any possibility they might give it to Colm O'Donoghue though?

Hughes really would be the perfect man for the job. Knows very much the difference between required in maidens and group races and has been riding as good as anyone for the last 2 seasons. Would he want the pressure, or would his weight be of some sort of issue.

Surprised to see Jimmy Fortune not even quoted. Has his stock falling that low that quickly?

The lovely Fortune was riding at Cappanelle yesterday, so probably not. I prefer him to Richard Hills, who gets the best races instead of him. I'd have thought Fortune every bit as canny as the best. He rode Songsheet's FAREER to his cosy 3rd place debut at Goodwood and reported back very wisely, but knew he'd not ride him in the Britannia Cup - Hills took that slot, and won. It seems a shame that while I'm sure the positions are well paid, you have to know your place, like serfs and villeins under their master.

I don't think Hughes would be interested in leaving an operation like the Hannons have for professional and personal reasons. On the the face of it he looks suitable but I don't think he would be into the working atmosphere at Ballyer either.

Isn't Hughesy married to Hannon's daughter, or something like that? I'm not too well up on trainer/jockey pedigrees, but I thought there was a family link.

The lovely Fortune was riding at Cappanelle yesterday, so probably not. I prefer him to Richard Hills, who gets the best races instead of him. I'd have thought Fortune every bit as canny as the best. He rode Songsheet's FAREER to his cosy 3rd place debut at Goodwood and reported back very wisely, but knew he'd not ride him in the Britannia Cup - Hills took that slot, and won. It seems a shame that while I'm sure the positions are well paid, you have to know your place, like serfs and villeins under their master.

And an odd ride he gave Clowance by all accounts - much closer to the pace than usual - I assume because of the shorter trip but sounds like it did not work at all.

Back