Murtagh at Ballydoyle

I thought he was excellent on the filly but poor on F&G.He just doesn't have the brilliance of previous years.

There was a belief before the race that it was going to be messy-Murtagh allowed himself to become a victim.

Fair enough - I knew his chance had gone before he was mangled as he should have been brought to the front and allowed to go for home and stretch out - was this solely down to Murtagh though? Maybe, maybe not.

Fair enough - I knew his chance had gone before he was mangled as he should have been brought to the front and allowed to go for home and stretch out - was this solely down to Murtagh though? Maybe, maybe not.

i thought Murtagh rode to very strict orders..ie told to hold up a horse even if the pace is slow..basically ..rides to orders everytime..maybe the blame lies elsewhere

Maybe. Heffernan in the Derby is an example of this.

It was bizarre to see the horse not taking it up early in the straight or even before.

Interesting that Murtagh rides a horse owned by Sheikh Mohammed tomorrow at The Curragh ... Mullingar in the third race.

Unless Ryan Moore is going to Ballydoyle getting rid of Murtagh is dumb.
Not sure Moore even has it in him to work with the the Ballydoyle team.

It's possible Murtagh is the one that wants to leave.

For what it's worth, I've heard the same story from 2 unrelated sources, who should be in a postion to at least have a good guess, that neither party would be unhappy with the partnership ending.

I get the impression it could be a case of the best available policy for next year with Murtagh still being used.

I had actually heard he was offered something but I remain to be convinced if that is true.

They want Moore but they cannot get him.

Both believable, Soumillon was favourite for the job for ages pre Murtagh.

They missed their chance with Moore, can't see him leaving Stoute's for the time being.

The Ballydoyle routine is not the easiest to follow and I think the weight is becoming more and more of an issue for him and for Coolmore.

Also Murtagh for all his media front is well capable of falling out with people over the smallest of things.

Can't imagine Moore would work well in terms of feedback and working with AOB off the track.

What does it say about Aidans personality that he can't keep a stable jockey. I could n't see Soumillon or Moore settling here either.

Best available might be the best arrangement. That way who ever is riding doesn't have to try and reconcile what they think is the best way to ride a horse from riding them daily with the instructions that Aidan has given. They are absolved of any responsibility they might feel to use their own noggin. Ride the horse as instructed and jump off with none of the frustration that Murtagh must be feeling if he is (as has been suggested) shackled by Aidans instructions .

O'Brien had nothing to do with Fallon or Kinane going. There is little enough room for egos down there and that probably does not sit well with any newcomer.

Back