Murtagh at Ballydoyle

I wouldn't blame him for Fallon but stoute did manage to keep him on the straight and narrow for a long time.

What I'm hearing about Murtagh at Ballydoyle is the same as what I heard about Kinane.

Stoute did not keep him on the straight and narrow for a long time - he just kept getting away with it.

Kinane did not help his cause by throwing his whip at the owners wife in the parade ring on the Saturday before the Irish Derby (an Irish Derby he then missed due to "back" problems).

No doubt O'Brien is a hard task master but there is (as in anything) more to it than that.

Surely a trainer has to let a top jockey ride after discussing a plan perhaps for big races and not tie them to strict instructions .

The surprising problem for Ballydoyle is the paucity of top jockeys who would be interested. Perhaps it would be difficult also for Coolmore take a punt on someone young as that would not go down well with AOB and Joseph .

Buick? Would be a bit off to leave Gosden after one year but he's the best jockey riding in Europe right now for me after Peslier in big races.

The Ballydoyle routine is not the easiest to follow and I think the weight is becoming more and more of an issue for him and for Coolmore.

Also Murtagh for all his media front is well capable of falling out with people over the smallest of things.

Must be taking lessons from his father in law.

Was surprised that Soumi went to Rouget given he rides the first part of the year abroad and Mendizabal seems to get a good few of the Rouget rides, looks like an arrangement primarily for the big meets (Rouget being based in Pau with the good racing in Paris probably wouldn't help either) though I'd imagine it wouldn't take him long to fall out with the powers that be at Ballydoyle either.

Not much going on the other side of the channel really though can't see Guyon and Barzalona wanting to split the rides on good 2yos and then ride virtually nothing as 3yos for too much longer either with the majority of the Godolphin horses and Sheik Mo horses transferring to the UK after a season. Seeing Barzalona chatting to Fabre and the Godolphin rep at Saint-Cloud last week I can see one of the pair moving to the UK as/when Frankie retires, even with Ajtebi they're going to need more than one jockey.

As for Ballydoyle, Fran Berry anyone? ;)

I think even Godolphin can see the mistake they made with Atjebi - he hasn't ridden nearly as much as was being spoken about at the start of the season.

I think a frenchman for Ballydoyle is 50/1.

Then in England you have Hughes, Moore, Queally and Buick. All seem quite close to their trainers, and you can't imagine any of them moving.

There really is no-one, and I think they should resolve whatever petty spat is perhaps going on, as Murtagh is by far the best jockey from a business point of view. They could get caught out in big races if all the big jockeys are riding for their own trainers.

The best would be Peslier for big races, and find another solution for the smaller races and maidens.

Last edited:
If I was Ballydoyle i'd be making Peslier an offer he can't refuse.

He is the best big race jockey in Europe at the moment bar none. Buick's too young, look what happened to Spencer, and I can't see Moore going either. Soumillon is a good jock but a bit of a liability. I think Peslier is better than all of them anyway.

Peslier is pretty old though. Don't agree about Buick being too young, he's shown how calm and professional he is on the world stage at the highest level but like I say, be hard to leave Gosden after only a year.

Buick is the best shout for Ballydoyle. he's talented, seems steady and is young so he might be easier to control.

I don't think Ballydoyle would be the best move for Buick though, he's in the right place.

Why would Buick leave Gosden. Some of you on the forum have a massively inflated opinion of the Ballydoyle job. The simple fact in that the last 4 jockeys to take the job have not been anywhere close to the best available with the exception of Fallon who at the time was damaged goods.

Last edited:
It is a great job - one of the best if not the best in Europe but it does have its draw backs particularly for the UK jockeys.

Peslier is pretty old though. Don't agree about Buick being too young, he's shown how calm and professional he is on the world stage at the highest level but like I say, be hard to leave Gosden after only a year.

How old is Buick? 20? It's a hell of a job to take at that age - Gosden will look after him whereas he won't get much leeway in the Ballydoyle job. Peslier isn't the youngest but he's the best in the business at the moment.

I don't understand people knocking the job - Is there any stable in Europe that has won more group 1's in a year than Ballydoyle in say the last 10? Godolphin had one stellar year but I think that's about it and Dettori isn't going anywhere.

In terms of potential for group 1 wins I don't think any other job comes close really.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine they will go for Queally - not good enough

Moore they won't get or Buick - Hughes would be completely wrong for them and why would he leave his current set up . Peslier doubtful though excellent. Soumillon cannot see that working .

Last edited:
So why have the best available or otherwise not taken it?

The great job in the world for me could be based in London, but if I am settled with a young family at home there are other considerations that come into play. There is no single better stable to be attached to in Europe if you want to be riding Group 1 horses. Clearly the Stoute role suits him and his family very well right now.

Back