Murtagh at Ballydoyle

To be honest at this stage money is not an issue surely to either of these anymore? Any top ambitious jockey in their position but surely be thinking of Classics and Group 1s?

I dont think Agas jockey is the best job,

in fact some other places better to be
I would rank to be Ballydoyle or Godolphin a better job.

What happened last year is not normal.
It is betterjob to be Andre Fabres jockey rather Agas jockey, and even Stoutes job is better.

Peslier is pretty old though.

I would see that as a positive. The Ballydoyle job suits an older wiser head, one who doesn't lack confidence and has already proven their abilities. Look what happens when you put a young, inexperienced pup in there......Jamie please rise!!

Look at who Ballydoyle have used over the years.....Piggott, Asmussen, Reid, Kinane, Fallon, Murtagh........most, if not all, of them in the latter half of their careers. Experienced riders. The formula has worked reasonably well over the years (no smart comments about Asmussen or Reid). Peslier would be a good choice but you would prob only want him on the group days.

IMO, Ballydoyle and the pressures this BUSINESS brings is not for the faint hearted. It is like no other retainer where the boss, in his own words, gets little pleasure out of group 1 wins. It's about the next stallion for him and milking the breeders dry.

It's a positive in as much as you've got someone experienced in place but you'll be looking for another top jockey in 3 or 4 years time.

Think Godolphin had it right when they employed McEvoy as second jockey, he was an established top jockey in Australia and Frankie was coming to the end of his career, had scaled down his riding after the plane accident and they'd have a ready made replacement for him as and when Frankie retired.

As it happened Sheikh Mo bought half of Australia and now McEvoy is back riding there for Snowden.

Would be good if Ballydoyle could get a top jockey if Murtagh leaves and someone like Gary Carroll (who's destined to have a long career ahead of him and isn't too old) to act as second jockey, he might not prove to be as good as the likes of Peslier, Murtagh, Fallon and Moore but he's young enough and he's the best young jockey in Ireland at the moment IMO

It's a positive in as much as you've got someone experienced in place but you'll be looking for another top jockey in 3 or 4 years time.

How long did the other older jocks last? I don't see 4-5 years as an issue. It's better than 2 disastrous years with a young un if it goes wrong.

True but given the nature of the business it would be better to have someone promoted to the top job from within rather than have to wait 5 or 6 months to get used to how Aidan works at Ballydoyle, what he expects the jockey to tell him after work, each race etc.

Fallon lasted a couple of years, Kinane 3 or 4 (I think) and Murtagh seems to have lasted longer.

I hope they aren't going to let one bad experience with a younger jockey stop them from going for a youngster, there was a lot of pressure on Spencer from an early, he was only 17 when he rode Tarascon to victory in the Irish 1000 Guineas so had been in the limelight for quite a while.

Not quite - his contract with the Niarchos family was always until the end of this flat season, so when the Aga Khan signed him up, it was done recognising that he would only have Lemaire this season when he wasn't being claimed by the Niarchos family (admittedly, it hasn't been a problem very often). From next season the only owner with any claim on him will be the Aga Khan.

6 perfection?? They ahvetn had a good one for awhile thats for sure.

Just emailed to geton about ballydoyle situation. Enzo said, he heard nothing about the matter and quickly dodged the question. I wrote in the email wouldnt it be once if one of your colleagues can ask the relevant party and get an answer. Enzo seemed to have missed that part of my email complately....

As far as I am aware - Murtagh will definitely not be the retained rider next year and an announcement is presumably likely to be made after the BC meeting.

As far as I am aware - Murtagh will definitely not be the retained rider next year and an announcement is presumably likely to be made after the BC meeting.

Any news on a replacement - or is it best available ?

Light Shift - was she the last Niarchos classic winner ?

Lemaire is not the best jockey in Europe... He managed to find a lot of dead ends on Arc day.

I think they'll keep O'Donoghue and Heffernan for the Irish day to day stuff and then bring someone in for the big european race days. I'd still be going for Peslier. Unflappable. It took some balls to let Regal Parade go by in the Foret and then pull her out again and win as they did.

Back