Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Where did you hear that krizon? I am amazed they think he would even considering it given what he has in store for himself next season.

A very good article. Can you imagine Tom Queally taking the job rather than ride Frankel or Ryan Moore leaving th UK after winning a Derby/Oaks/Arc. The Ballydoyle job is not all it's cracked up to be.

Lads seriously get a grip....Berry is awful.

picking odd bad rides out is so betfair forum imo

at the end of the day..have any of you thought that no f*cker wants it and that Berry gets it by default?

can't you see that no one wants to ride for them..its awful for a jockey there unless they are a muppet who doesn't mind being told what to have for breakfast and when they can have a shit

its a shit job basically..even when times are good..read Kinane's view in that article

Last edited:
Interesting article. I had always assumed the retained jockeys at Ballydoyle would have been an integral part of the team, riding the horses work giving valuable feedback etc.

Interesting article. I had always assumed the retained jockeys at Ballydoyle would have been an integral part of the team, riding the horses work giving valuable feedback etc.

yes..treated like dirt basically..just a tool to be used when needed...not a valuable team member

Last edited:
picking odd bad rides out is so betfair forum imo

at the end of the day..have any of you thought that no f*cker wants it and that Berry gets it by default?

can't you see that no one wants to ride for them..its awful for a jockey there unless they are a muppet who doesn't mind being told what to have for breakfast and when they can have a shit

its a shit job basically..even when times are good..read Kinane's view in that article

'Odd bad rides' very good :D

As for your second point yes I think most people can see why older well established jocks would not want it. 'Shit job' might be over stating it though.

This is the best job in racing (except for shining Haley Turners boots - personal thing) any jock worth hid salt would be mad not to take it!!

This is the best job in racing (except for shining Haley Turners boots - personal thing) any jock worth hid salt would be mad not to take it!!

it appears not though

at end of day..money isn't enough to tempt anyone too much as has been proved with other jocks that have been there..they end up unhappy...no use having lots of money and being unhappy..big barrier to landing someone decent i would think

its making me laugh though this obsession with how good or bad jocks are...i've never understood it tbh..i think it distracts from actually backing winners rather than help.

i'm wondering with these examples of how bad Berry is..how much pocket talking is going on as well :)

11 with Murtagh on board. O'Donoghue won G1s on Cape Blanco and Jan Vermeer. Heffernan won with Misty For Me. Maybe yesterday's wasn't included also?

Can anybody seriously think of a better jockeys job in the world!! Practically gauranteed mid teens group ones - leading contenders for all the classics and you don't even have to get up in the morning!! Give me a break here! You are talking potential earnings of seven figures a year if you include nomination bonuses etc - downsides - you may have to take a little instruction from one of the all time great trainers and get an insight into how the most influential thoroughbred operation in the world works! I would really be amazed if anyone actually turned it down.

Of course people would turn it down - it is like any other job. If you are married with kids living in another country there is more to consider than simply the numbers. Ryan Moore has been offered it and has turned it down.

For the record - Johnny Murtagh rode out at Ballydoyle any day he wanted to prior to the falling out. Kieran Fallon rode out every morning he was there, Jamie Spencer rode out every morning he was there while Michael Kinane rode out every morning he was there prior to him injurying his back.

I do not know why Murtagh has left, but I do know when all goes well for Johnny he is the best in the world and he is what you see - but he can be a contrary fecker as well. He has gone through Perrett, Franshaw, Oxx/Aga Khan, Halford and Lyons - he will do things to suit himself.

As for Kinane - he did last the job a good few years so obvious was able to put up with it for a while.

11 with Murtagh on board. O'Donoghue won G1s on Cape Blanco and Jan Vermeer. Heffernan won with Misty For Me. Maybe yesterday's wasn't included also?

Heffernan won the Gr 1 on Cape Blanco.
O'Donoghue's win was on Joshua Tree.

It's poorly written.

'True, the stable hasn't been dominating the international Flat racing scene like it once did but, with 11 Group One victories this year, you couldn't say it has slunk into irreversible decline'.

The chances are that the stable jockey will always miss out on some of the Group Ones in any given year.

Last edited:
We will leave it at rural legend so!

Anyway this thread is likely to go on a bit - O'Brien reported in the paper today that a decision will not be made probably until the turn of the year.

Gearoid: I heard it at Lingfield from one of the staff who pretty much stalks the trainers and jockeys (he gambles every day, even if not big time), and is generally a fairly reliable source of gossip! But if Queally turns up at Lingers this week I'll ask him directly. I wanted to this past week, but he came in with Spencer, so thought better of it!

Ballydoyle job is the best yopu can have as a flat jockey , only godolphin will give you more money.

If I were Queally and were offered the job , I would prefer it rather than riding for Cecil next, frankel can be a monster but can be injured or not train on.

Ballydoyle job is the best yopu can have as a flat jockey , only godolphin will give you more money.

If I were Queally and were offered the job , I would prefer it rather than riding for Cecil next, frankel can be a monster but can be injured or not train on.

:eek:

A once in a life time horse or few quid in your pocket.

:eek:

A once in a life time horse or few quid in your pocket.

If I was Queally I'd probably stick with Cecil because youi'd be gutted if Frankel turned out to be as brilliant as it looks he could be. Having said that there's no guarantee that he will - look at St Nicholas Abbey. Could be a tough call.

Back