Nassau Stakes 30 July

Nefertiti

At the Start
This race is beginning to look almost as exciting as the Frankel/Canford Cliffs clash in the Sussex. With Workforce looking increasingly likely to run in the King George, Midday will probably try for a third win in the Nassau where Snow Fairy is an intended runner.

The news this morning from Jim Bolger and Aidan O'Brien is that Banimpire and Misty For Me may well go for this race as well. Potentially a very exciting clash of generations at 10f which should suit them all - if all four were to run to their top form this should prove to be a wonderful race.

I am a really big Misty for Me fan. She has done her stuff on the racecourse on a number of occasions, including a visually impressive pulverisation of a multiple G1 filly the last day.

The only concern I have is the fact that she seems to have been close to Together and Wonder of Wonders in the pecking order this season.

In fact, for a horse with four Group 1 victories, it is incredible that she has never started favourite. In any race. Her shortest price is 100/30. Maybe she reserves her stuff for the track?

The only concern I have is the fact that she seems to have been close to Together and Wonder of Wonders in the pecking order this season.

They didn't seem to know what they had with Dylan Thomas and Peeping Fawn judging on some of their returned odds so it's not like there isn't a precedent. Cracking race in prospect - really looking forward to Goodwood this year.

13 still in at the 5-day stage. All the principals still there - Midday, Snow Fairy, Crystal Capella, Misty For Me, Banimpire. Plus two good Godolphin fillies Antara and Sajjhaa - and Principal Role, Theysken's Tehory, First City Barefoot Lady, Look At Me and Field Day.

If they all turn up we're in for a treat. WFA allowance for the 3 year olds is 10 lbs. and still quite significant. 10f may be too short for Crystal Capella in this company, but the others should like the trip. At this point I think Snow Fairy looks good value - would love Misty to win but will she show her best form away from home? Which fillies would be especially advantaged/disadvantaged by fast/easy ground?

Apart from Frankel, the two most visually impressive performances I have seen this season were Crystal Capella and Misty for Me.

I would love it, love it, if the two of them went toe to toe. The other horses would add a nice bit of spice and put any winning performance into context if most of them ran.

They didn't seem to know what they had with Dylan Thomas and Peeping Fawn judging on some of their returned odds so it's not like there isn't a precedent.

The same goes for Halfway to Heaven who won this and went off some mental prices for her wins.

Banimpire was unlucky to be done on the line by Blue Bunting coming out wide in the Irish Oaks on ground she wouldn't be in love with. Nobody beats her in a duel, and Misty For Me is also a big fighter. Is there a horse in the field to repeat the Dettori Curragh tactics?

No, but Crystal Capella is better than them all (and at least as tough). None of those other horses could outbattle the likes of Dar re mi.

No, but Crystal Capella is better than them all (and at least as tough). None of those other horses could outbattle the likes of Dar re mi.

I wouldn't underestimate this year's 3yo fillies, or colts for that matter. The best of them seem to be in France, but there are some good ones in the UK and Ireland too.

She won it by default. I'd thank you never to refer to that edition ever again.

Hear, hear.

I'd be confident about Crystal Capella for this year's renewal if it wasn't for the nagging doubt that the 10f will be on the sharp side for her. I don't fancy Snow Fairy at all and I'd expect Midday to reverse the form with Misty For Me who had the run of the race last time. Suspect I'll split my bet equally between Crystal Capella and Midday.

It should be a great race.

I'd expect Midday to reverse the form with Misty For Me who had the run of the race last time

It's not usual to expect a 6 length deficit to be overturned, but most people on here seem to be taking it for granted that it will happen. It looks like collective delusion to me.

It's not usual to expect a 6 length deficit to be overturned, but most people on here seem to be taking it for granted that it will happen. It looks like collective delusion to me.

I'm certainly not taking it for granted but I think there are plenty of reasons why it might happen. The main one is the way the race is likely to be run. It's highly unlikely to be run at a crawl like the Pretty Polly was. And we saw the difference a stronger pace can make in the Irish Oaks - Blue Bunting turned round a near five length gap with Dancing Rain from Epsom and to some tune.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what most people on here think. The bookies all have MFM favourite over Midday.

I suspect Midday will win - her last really disappointing run before the pretty polly was in the Curragh mud behind Sariska and it won't be like that next weekend .

I'm very torn on this, but faster going should certainly see Midday to better effect.

Last edited:
Stoute was interviewed a few days ago on a promotional video for Goodwood and he certainly was talking about Crystal Capella as if she was definitely running in the Nassau.

I am increasingly confident Midday is going to return to the top of the pack. HRAC's strike rate is superb at the moment .

Last edited:
Back