New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we have some new members joined. :)

Welcome to you all and feel free to join in!

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum, just been officially validated (ouch) so thought I had better introduce myself after hovering all week. Heard about the site from some other members at wolverhampton of all places - you know who you are!
I ride out part-time for a flat trainer, sprinters are my favourite thing but I am also a big fan of Cecil!! (missed him today)
Anyway, the site looks great and I look forward to contributing.

Welcome Epona - good to have another horse-wise person on board. Do you mean Henry or Sergeant? :D

As a passionate follower of jump racing, I am delighted to find any site that lets me keep in touch. Now retired here in Phuket, Thailand, where not only is there no racing at all, local TV does not even carry racing :( . Occasionally we are given a fleeting glimpse of the finish of the Melbourne Cup ;) for wtat that's worth, but other than that, only intermittent bits of show jumping and 3 day events.
Having finally got a broadband connection, I am going to see if I can see live racing on ATR by internet. Wish me luck

Welcome Farang, glad you found us ;^)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the craic, especially the photos - and this looks like being another great jumps season.

Beware though - the forum is a wonderful time-waster, just as much as 'the other place'
You may also find that with the time zone difference, there is often only the two of us here [I'm just nocturnal]

Greetings, Farang. We have a few overseas members, but Thailand's probably our most exotic so far! Good luck with your viewing, and we hope you'll keep in touch with us. We have a variety of horse-owning members, a trainer, a breeder and a huge bunch of racing and horsey nuts on board - and boy, it can get pretty nutty at times, too! We have a very lively and often rather heated non-racing section in which you can let off steam.

How are things going with your all-dancing, all-partying army? :D I have a friend who runs a tavern/guest house in Phuket (fortunately on a hill, so spared the tsunami's ravages) and has lived out there for many years now and will never return to the UK. Another lifetime pal now works and lives out there and plans to stay forever. It's a wonderful country, but I'd feel horse-starved there, too!

Hello all,
I signed up a few days ago and am already impressed at the content of the forum. I work a desk job in a bank and filter software denies me access to the sites I would use most (sportinglife, racingpost, oddschecker, betfair etc) so its a welcome relief to be able to kill a little time here. I've been punting since the spring of '01. I don't think I could have chosen a worse time to get involved as I was about to sit my Leaving Cert (I think they're the A-levels in England) and also we had foot-and-mouth.
Like most Irish people I follow the flat but get much more excited about the jumps. From a betting standpoint I tend to stick to seasoned chasers (typically 0-145 or better) as I think the races offer better value for money as a spectacle and you tend to have years of form to go on.

My user name comes from a song by The Arcade Fire

Great to have you with us, Power Out. We've got loads of lovely Irish contributors, and they're very knowledgeable. Galileo is one, and also one of our four Moderators. Forum member Solerina is not, as you might expect, a fan of the horse, but the horse herself. She learned her computer skills while the Bowes were showing off LIMESTONE LAD and she was left to her own devices. Those Irish horses are damn smart!

We have a few overseas members, but Thailand's probably our most exotic so far!

Feck off Krizon. Dublin is way more exotic than Phuket, and there are certainly more Thai people here.

Power Out - make sure you stay with us. The Brits tend to bully us a bit and we need all the help we can get. I hope you are a Dub. The good people on the Forum are

Luke
Gearoid
BobbyJo
Bar the Bull
Solerina
Gareth Flynn
Grey
Melendez

I have probably omitted several - but make sure you agree with all of the above, all the time.

Oi - I'll have you know that Gib is far more exotic than Dublin, AC!!!! :lol:

(I'm off to get my meds now.....)

Gal - are you Irish? I thought your continual sniping at all things Ballydoyle marked you out as a sassanach. Apologies for the omisssion.

Originally posted by krizon@Nov 1 2006, 09:44 PM

How are things going with your all-dancing, all-partying army? :D I have a friend who runs a tavern/guest house in Phuket (fortunately on a hill, so spared the tsunami's ravages) and has lived out there for many years now and will never return to the UK. Another lifetime pal now works and lives out there and plans to stay forever. It's a wonderful country, but I'd feel horse-starved there, too!

So far things seem reasonably quiet - just hope they stay that way and the new government has a more sensible approach to solving the problems down south than its predecessor.

We are only about 20 metres above sea level, but around 2 km from the sea, so did not know anything was amiss until we heard the sirens of the emergency services heading for the coast after the tsunami.

Now all is pretty well back to normal - except for the various (pretty hopeless) enquiries trying to find who pocketed all the charitable donations!

Still, living here has many advantages over the UK - particularly for impoverished pensioners. I can live comfortably here on what would be a miserable pittance in UK, plus there are the benefits of a decent climate, beautiful countryside, charming people and a delicious diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back