New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Username chaumi (some of you may remember chaumiere winning back to back Magnet Cup's 25 years ago - some of them you just never forget!).. I guess my user could just as easily have been diamond edge, path of peace, carriage way, brown chamberlain, or dozens/hundreds of others. Hopefully some of you are old enough to remember one or two of those.

Real name Steve. Been backing horses since my Dad gave me my first winner with a first bet around 1976 - that's a lot of losers, a lesser number of winners :-) ...and a lot of fun over the years + a lot of lessons learned. Maybe Dad is still looking on from somewhere and booting them home when I really need them.

It's in my blood forever. It's a passion that can never go away...and judging by many of the posts I've read through that's a passion that I think many contributors here share.

If you didn't love it, you probably couldn't keep going for a lifetime, right? There's always another day and the next nice winner is right around the corner, you just don't know which corner.

If you have passion you can take the losers and move on. You can gratefully accept the winners and look for the next one. If you can cry watching the old races and the great battles then passion is in you.

And this game has had me in tears many times (standing in a packed but deadly silent Ladbrokes Maidenhead as Imperial Commander jumped past Denman, the last leg of a big antepost treble with Big Zeb and Menorah with it all going on IC at 14s..now there's one voice shouting goonnnnmysonnn, comeonnnn, keep him going Brennan, keep him going...and as he jumped the last.........it's mine!! 30 odd years of waiting. On the floor, arms in the air, crying like a baby. That I'll never forget)

But the search never ends. And learning never ends too. Every piece of info counts, either to steer you on to a winner, a loser, or away from either.

It's the predictable unpredictability of it that you have to embrace, right...but remember the feeling when you have got it right, when you did beat the odds, when you did back that winner that no one else did....or when you gave your mates a tip which did go on to make them a few quid.

Anyway, I'm here in the hope of learning some extra stuff. Seeing some alternative viewpoints. Hopefully one day sharing a big winner in advance rather than afterwards.

Unfortunately with a 5 year old son, maybe soon an adoption on the way, a 'real' day job, and spending much of the afternoons/evenings on theracingpost or Betfair, I might have trouble posting regularly. See how it goes.

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Trudij You might remember Path of Peace ploughing through the mud to win the November handicap, would have been around 1979-1980. took 25-1 in the morning when it started to belt down, didn't stop all day and POP lead all the way. Think he also ran 1st or 2nd in the following County Hurdle up against Prince of Bermuda

edgt Yeah, sounds like we're from the same time zone too. Long time ago, but if I remember rightly Carriage Way was a standing dish in apprentice hcaps. Think Dad and I had it away two or three times over a couple of years at up to 16s. Pre Betfair days and getting a winner at 16s in those days was a big deal :-)

I have an old and worn timeform black book in the loft somewhere from those days. Will dig it out one day and remember all the ones I've forgotten.

Last edited:
Carriage Way began with Ryan Price, winning the Ribero Stakes from Rachmaninoff of M V O Brien's Sept 76 as a 2yo; changed stables numerous times to end up in Apprentice races as a 10 and 11 yo. He Ran well over 100 races. There was an article in an old Pacemaker I came across lately; my memory isnt that good!
Lofts can be great places a wet day!

:) 1979 I was 5 years old,hadn't even sat on a real horse back then (just a donkey at Weymouth called teapot :wub: ), don't remember much other than bouncing about on the sofa arm pretending to be riding whichever horse happened to be winning at the time...

That would put him quite old when I was at the racing school, but he certainally gave the people who rode him quite a bit to think about - vaguely remember him as having won the county - we had shiny copper who won the triumph there at the same time as well - admirals cup was another good horse of the time that we had in the yard when I was there... :)

Last edited:
Mouse Morris ran Roadway in The County hurdle that year.
A massive gamble from all prices with Tommy Carberry having his last Festival ride he hit the last and got beaten a head by Path Of Peace ridden by Jonjo O Neill.
Mouse reckoned he could have retired if the result went the right way!
Memories Are Made Of This to quote Dino!

Hello there, thought I would run through the introduction stuff. I am a 22 year old that works for the enemy as a racing trader. It's nice to come on here and read people that are passionate about horses. I used to travel around the country with my father going around the tracks and developed a life long love of racing. I am quite young compared to most racing fans so can't really discuss racing with my mates etc so hopefully this place will be a place to come and moan about losers and complain about jockeys.

Newbie here, and liking the look of this forum, with some humourous and intelligent insight.

I'm more involved in racing these days, since being dragged into TTF competitions and a 'Fantasy Festival' competition every year since 2007; still never bet more than a tenner, though.

I'll be happy to offer the odd and occasional incursion as I become more familiar with the site. You lot don't strike me as 'cliquey', unlike some other sites, either!

how ya doin folks,quite new to racing im 27 but just got into racing 2 years ago not sure what pulled me in but im hopelessley in love with the turf now!the soon to be wife and pals dont really get racing so itl be good to have some proper racing crack!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back