Nicky Henderson Found Guilty

Well done to Henderson for doing this - I hope that the results are sent to an independent laboratory for verification as to what is legal and illegal and that any illegal tests will be made public.

There are plenty of ways of getting trophies on the mantlepiece - any drugs cheats in racing can rest easy that the BHA are only testing for certain drugs and aren't overly keen on positive tests.

The blood sample quite rightly shows proof. Sadly however Mr Ryan is incorrect that the skeletons in the cupboard are irrelevant on the basis that they show motive method opportunity etc. Please don't ever let this man be involved in judgement on a murder inquiry.

So Main's BHA position is "under review" yet the same authority has no intention of investigating whether this was an isolated incident or a normal practice?

A bit of a contradiction there, surely?

Going back to my last input about NH paying for all his runners being dope tested for the next few years.

Means absolutely nothing to me; any trainer with two brain cells in their head wouldn't be making a mistake of this nature twice (without even getting into how naive he was to make it in the first place).

A case of too little, too late for me.

I missed the stuff about NH saying he'd have his horses dope-tested for the next two years. How on earth does he propose to do that? Testing is expensive and, contrary to what some people might think, the results are not immediate. Horses selected for random testing at racecourses (and it's not that random - the stews always want to test beaten favourites and winners with previous poor form) provide a sample of urine, which is sent away to the lab for testing. All that happens on course is that a speciment is taken, witnessed, and labelled. The results aren't known for about a week. So, if Mr Henderson plans to test all of his horses - the questions are when and where? A week before they're due to run, to ensure they're clean before they do? And surely it shouldn't be at home, where the problem started. I can't see the BHA accepting his results for a moment, because horses which are sanctioned for testing by the BHA have to have their specimens taken by the on-course vets, with a suitable witness (usually an old JC-certified gateman). The horse would have to be first checked with the microchip reader, to ensure it really was the animal NH said it was, then be invited to urinate, which could take some time, and if there were some five horses due to run in a week's time, I can see the cost per hour racking up into hundreds of pounds every session. Then the samples would have to be sent off to a lab also agreed by the BHA, not just any old lab. It sounds contrite on his part, but it's unworkable. With a stable his size, he'd be running up several thousands of pounds of vet and lab bills every season.

Things are just getting to complicated if you ask me, in the tennis at Wimbledon they had a Dr. come on to give a tablet,
It must be down to the vet when horses are send here and there how can one man any trainer be held resposable for what goes in every horse, as for the size of a fine the same thing would hapen in a majesrats court, no job small fine good job large fine that has to be more fair.On the other hand you then get people with nothing to lose as well.

On the RP site this morning :

New drug claim raises question over BHA tests

BY GRAHAM GREEN6.57AM 6 JUL 2009

THE effectiveness of the BHA's drug-testing procedures has been called into question by the revelation that a horse running on tranexamic acid escaped detection after winning this year.

A trainer, who wishes to remain anonymous, informed the Racing Post on Sunday that the anti-bleeding medication - whose use on the Queen's Moonlit Path resulted in Nicky Henderson receiving a three-month ban from making entries and a record £40,000 fine - was given to a filly on the recommendation of a vet on the morning of a race.

The filly's victory surprised connections, and her trainer admitted to being in "a cold sweat" for the next three weeks, fearingofficial notification that the drug had been found in her post-race sample. However, he has not been contacted by the BHA in relation to the test.

"It was very worrying, but it appears no evidence of the drug was found, much to my relief," said the trainer.

Although the Moonlit Path inquiry was the first positive test for TA in British racing, Professor Tim Morris, BHA director of equine science and welfare, on Sunday reiterated that he has full confidence in the testing process, despite the unnamed trainer's claim to have got away with using the drug.

He said: "The problem is it's a bit like the comment, ‘are you going to look at other yards where this might have been given?' Without the full facts it is pure speculation.

"All I can say is that forget the UK, this drug has been used in other jurisdictions, it's been tested positive for in other jurisdictions, and we haven't changed our testing regime.

"I'm confident in our testing procedure because it has found a case of TA, and if a trainer were to give the drug on raceday they would be taking a lot of risk.

"We have already saidthat we don't believe the use of TA to be widespread, but that isn't to say there isn't individual horse variation, which is why, in our advice, we give people a detection time, then tell the vet to add on a safety factor for the withdrawal time."

Trainer Jim Boyle, a qualified vet, said: "I'd never heard of TA until this case blew up. But that is not to say it wasn't being used.

"You would imagine the fact I had never heard of it being used isindicative it is not widespread. Then again, how much would people talk if there was a slight possibility that something they were using was close to the bone?"

Paul Struthers: defended BHA

Henderson's punishment was markedly different to the recommended guidelines for a breach of rule 200, which covers any attempt to use a prohibited substance to affect a horse's performance.

The recommended entry point is a £2,500 fine or one-year disqualification, and £12,000 was the maximum fine.

Struthers said: "There is no facility [to appeal]. It has been discussed before, in the light of a previous decision that there was a general feeling of incredulity about, but it was felt it would be inappropriate for us to be able to appeal the decision of our own panel when we have set it up to be independent.

"Even if there had been a facility to appeal, I don't think we would have been minded to in this case."

He added: "The disciplinary panel are given guideline penalties, but they are perfectly entitled to go outside those guidelines if they see fit.

"In this instance, they felt obviously because of the substance itself, and because of the mitigating factors that they explain in their judgement, that a disqualification, which was one option under that penalty, was disproportionately high, but that the maximum fine of £12,000 was, equally, disproportionate at the other end of the spectrum."

The wife of Henderson's vet James Main, trainer Helen Main, is understood to be preparing a statement clarifying his role in the affair.

Listen to James Willoughby's analysis of the Nicky Henderson case on RPTV at racingpost.com

I missed the stuff about NH saying he'd have his horses dope-tested for the next two years. How on earth does he propose to do that?

I don't think he does, I think Irish Stamp got the wrong impression from montyracing's post. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Think I might have the wrong end of the stick unless NH sends all samples of all horses he runs to a lab.

British racing is as clean as they come - they test for over 1,000 drugs apparently.

It's Heather, not Helen, Main.

If I'd been found guilty of an offence I don't think the court would be too impressed if the character statement in my support came from the wife!

I'm guessing she has a legal background? Otherwise it seems a bit strange to wheel your missus out to do your bidding for you

You would certainly hope the likes of James Main are banned from any involvement with racing, as a minimum from al of this. I find it very strange that a vet can do as he likes and avoid hearing's such as these. Perhaps the BHA need jurisdiction to a degree over vets involved in racing?

I will be interested to see if the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) take Main to task after all a vet was struck off a couple of years ago for "having a bendy pen" when it came to filling in the vaccination records in a horses passport (unfortunately for him, he fell out with the owners he was doing this for and they grassed him up). In the RCVS' eyes he could be held to bringing the profession into disrepute.

My opinion of the whole episode stands - they were all guilty but I do think the punishment is lenient because of who Henderson is. I'm sure they would have warned me off for at least 2 years. Main and Henderson knew exactly what they were doing - you don't get a vet out at 6.30 in the morning for a "pre-race check" for nothing. And then fail to record it in the medication book. And NH admitted he had used TA for some time prior to this (as if that made it OK). If hie and his vet were so pro equine welfare, they would have tried to work out why the horse was bleeding rather than just limit the bleed. Horses bleed for a reason - because they are stressed due to over exertion. This invariably shows up as a physical problem or an underlying virus. Sometimes the problem is so slight it takes a very observant vet to work out what is wrong. The vet I worked for in the States used to have me trotting horses up and down to detect the slightest abnormality - I would think that about 85% had problmes with their hocks or joints behind (poor quality synovial fluid) and once treated the problem and the bleeding went away.

What amuses me most on this thread is that many people are quick to defend NH saying what a good bloke he is - erm - how many have worked for him, had dinner with him, actually know him???? Its all what we perceive through the media/TV. Yes hes a great trainer but I had a friend who given the choice in regard to horse welfare between working again for Martin Pipe or NH, she'd chose Pipe every time. And yes I have had dinner with NH - on more than one occasion!

My opinion of the whole episode stands - they were all guilty but I do think the punishment is lenient because of who Henderson is. I'm sure they would have warned me off for at least 2 years. Main and Henderson knew exactly what they were doing - you don't get a vet out at 6.30 in the morning for a "pre-race check" for nothing. And then fail to record it in the medication book. And NH admitted he had used TA for some time prior to this (as if that made it OK). If hie and his vet were so pro equine welfare, they would have tried to work out why the horse was bleeding rather than just limit the bleed. Horses bleed for a reason - because they are stressed due to over exertion. This invariably shows up as a physical problem or an underlying virus. Sometimes the problem is so slight it takes a very observant vet to work out what is wrong. The vet I worked for in the States used to have me trotting horses up and down to detect the slightest abnormality - I would think that about 85% had problmes with their hocks or joints behind (poor quality synovial fluid) and once treated the problem and the bleeding went away.

What amuses me most on this thread is that many people are quick to defend NH saying what a good bloke he is - erm - how many have worked for him, had dinner with him, actually know him???? Its all what we perceive through the media/TV.

Great post, jinnyj.

Despite all else I still think Henderson has handled the situation very well, I feel that shows good character.

Have you read Paragraph 21 of the Disciplinary Panel's statement Toobe?

I don't think it showed particularly "good character" to try and shift the blame on to poor Tom Symonds (small wonder Henderson's counsel refused to allow Tom to be called as a witness). And then to offer up a cock and bull story about not being aware of the rule that horses can only be given food and water on racedays -- him, a Trainer with 30+ years' experience?

Thankfully the Panel's reaction was "Pull the other one, Mr. Henderson".

My opinion of the whole episode stands - they were all guilty but I do think the punishment is lenient because of who Henderson is. I'm sure they would have warned me off for at least 2 years.

:lol:

Fear not, I never had one iota of doubt that the fine traditions of British justice in applying different standards to establishment figures who went to the right the schools etc would be upheld. I permitted myself a little snigger at the duplicity and hypocracy of the whole sorry farce, but justice in this country has been built on a solid bedrock of one rule for one, and one for everyone else, and Nicky Henderson was never going to have the book thrown at him thus.

As for being warned off for 2 years Jinny, I suspect you're being optimistic. I don't believe you went to Eton/ Harrow, nor train for the Queen. I suspect you'd have had your licence withdrawn, unless you were able to invoke some line back to minor aristocratic descent, or prove beyond reasonable doubt that you are a pillar of the British ruling class establsihment.

His semi jusification that the drug was administered for the mare's welfare gobsmacks me.

If he was so concerned for her welfare, she wouldn't be racing in the first place. End of..

That is exactly what I said when reading the Report on Saturday, if she was such a bad bleeder that she needed mediation to train and race, then she shouldn't be racing. Poor old gal, if he was concerned about her welfare then she would be in a field in a non racing home.

SL, you know that I also know James Main, and your right he is a fantastic vet, he saved my boy after a bad bout of colic, but you gotta admit he's not come out of this very well. Especially as he works in the labs (can't remember the exact quote of where it is) he should know what is banned, and as i've said previously on here, trainers can't use the excuse of not knowing not to give only hay and water on raceday, all stable staff should know not too, never mind the boss.

NH been very lucky to have got away with it lightly

Have you read Paragraph 21 of the Disciplinary Panel's statement Toobe?

I don't think it showed particularly "good character" to try and shift the blame on to poor Tom Symonds (small wonder Henderson's counsel refused to allow Tom to be called as a witness). And then to offer up a cock and bull story about not being aware of the rule that horses can only be given food and water on racedays -- him, a Trainer with 30+ years' experience?

Thankfully the Panel's reaction was "Pull the other one, Mr. Henderson".

From what I recall, the wording in regards to Symonds, does not directly apportion blame to him and Henderson took it on the chin stating that any ommisions involving his staff were down to him. If the lad for whatever reason either carried out instruction contrary to the rules of racing would, I should imagine, be in some trouble. Whether he or his boss ensured the entry was not shown or not. I would imagine this may open a different kind of case based on the circumstances.

I haven't actually commented on how Main has come out of this though, have I? Nor have I defended either Henderson (I'm not one of those ridiculed for saying he 'seems to be a decent bloke') nor Main when it comes to this case; I fear people are putting words in my mouth, again!

The comments I made about James Main were initially a response to musings that he'd be struck off and then directed at ignorant comments made about him saying such things as "James Main seems a bit of a shady character" and "what is Mr Main well respected for? An ability to administer an illegal substance on the day a horse is racing?" along with general insinuations that as a vet he is either no good, or bent. I simply pointed out that he is one of the best equine vets in practice and I would have him out to treat an injured animal of mine in a flash; in fact his practice is the one I use for one of my horses, the others being out of their area or they would be treated by them as well.

For what it is worth, no, I don't think that James (nor Henderson) has come out of this incident well at all, however that does not detract from whether or not he is good at his job nor would it stop me from using his professional services. Ditto Henderson.

Last edited:
I agree that if Main is a good vet in regards to the animals welfare then surely they can only put blame on his administrative skills, and whether it was purposeful or not. The horse is alive and did not bleed, what questions would arise had he refused, in regards to his veterinary skills had the horse died. If he is a vet first and foremost this would or, at least should have been his main concern. His ability as a vet can therefore not be questioned.

Back