Not looking good across the water

Meanwhile, somewhere off the Adriatic coast, a couple lounged casually on a small ocean-going yacht, glasses of champagne to hand...

Sadly, far too fond of cheap thrillers. I ought to write the buggers and make a buck, instead of lolling in bed reading them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0928/1224279819356.html

An article about the growing number of horses in Ireland suffering from neglect, and active cruelty, since the onset of recession. Be warned, though, there is a rather unpleasant photo.

It seems a cull would be the most humane course of action, but I don't see why it should all have to be publicly funded. There must be owners who can't afford to look after their horses but could afford to have them put out of their misery.

People who leave their horses to be treated like this should be put in jail. For as long as possible.

Thanks for that read Grey. A truely awful situation that was entirely avoidable (like so much in this country right now).

Well, we were all signalling the overproduction of TBs for racing two, three years back, weren't we? Foals were being given away during the last three years, or simply left at auction horses, unsold. Those were the 'good' ones. The rough pony, the half-draught, the trotting pony and any amount of rough wee souls with hairy chins, let loose in fields and allowed to breed indiscriminately without proper - or probably any - veterinary attention, decent food, let alone training and human contact - well, they're destined for the rubbish heap.

Best thing now is to shoot what can be shot ('cull' is a pretty word for mass slaughter), repair what's worth repairing, and then get the changes made FAST to legislation so that 'the disease' of horse ownership without responsibility or ability becomes a thing of the past.

It's a very sad and dreadful thing to contemplate, but it's not as bad as thinking how thousands of innocent horses and ponies will end their already miserable lives. Get the shooting done with asap (old/sick/injured/crippled), get the repairs made asap to the younger, well-made and potentially reusable, make all ownership a matter of national registration with microchipping for all, and ensure that the welfare charities have the teeth to go and seize what needs seizing in future. First case of neglect, cruelty, inability to fund or cope - seize, confiscate, ban ownership for life. Keep a national database updated so that the banned can't squirm into ownership again.

Get the shooting done with asap (old/sick/injured/crippled), get the repairs made asap to the younger, well-made and potentially reusable, make all ownership a matter of national registration with microchipping for all, and ensure that the welfare charities have the teeth to go and seize what needs seizing in future. First case of neglect, cruelty, inability to fund or cope - seize, confiscate, ban ownership for life. Keep a national database updated so that the banned can't squirm into ownership again.
Rather worries me that the Government may be thinking along those lines for the electorate!

I read recently about a trainer who moved a bunch of horses on because he didn't want to pay for their feed through the winter. I think it will get a lot lot worse. An amnesty cull would probably be welcomed rather than leave them in a field to rot. For those animals that can be sent to the factory, there is a waiting list as long as your arm and when the grass runs out, owners will not pay for the horses' keep.

PS The Owners Association agreed to allow the Irish Horse Welfare Trust to put a levy of €1 per entry on owners, subject to owners agreement. My syndicates do this as I see it as a requirement for those that can pay for horse welfare to contribute somehow. You never know when you might need to use them. Think it works out to be a decent amount of money.

That's good, and also hearing via ATR today how many Americans are bringing horses to race in Ireland now, along with an upsurge from the Aga and sheikhs. Also Sir Robert Ogden - buying at the sales and keeping horses in Ireland. It's also interesting to see that a few good NH trainers have started dabbling, with good results, in 2 y.o.'s, showing they're cottoning onto the upswing in wealthy Flat owners wanting their horses based there. Good news for all.

Last edited:
http://www.irishracing.com/blog/blog/2010/09/27/if-it-quacks-%e2%80%93-it%e2%80%99s-a-duck/

An article that describes rather better than I could myself the situation concerning the bookie at Listowel who did a runner. It is apparent from comments on here that his dodgy financial situation was widely known, and the authorities had been warned warned about him, even in writing, but did nothing. As a result punters not in the know ended up as victims. What is worse, even incredible, is that he was able to turn up and trade at the Curragh a few weeks ago, AFTER Listowel.

I can not thing of one reason to have a bet in the ring. All they do is trade each other. No one betting on course has any advantage.

It appears Oliver McKiernan's horses have been transferred from his Cavan Developments name to the Red Gap Partnership, made up of his family but not him. This includes Whatuthink, Follow THe Plan and Healys Bar.

It appears Oliver McKiernan's horses have been transferred from his Cavan Developments name to the Red Gap Partnership, made up of his family but not him. This includes Whatuthink, Follow THe Plan and Healys Bar.

Is he moving his assets out of reach...

Last edited:
Back