Not looking good across the water

Chris Kinane style cover. Owners are insured against injuries caused by their horse. It's included in the fee for owners association as they did a group discount deal. I had just joined the council before they completed it and it was noticeable that it did not cover syndicates effectively and they introduced a clause specifically to cover syndicates as a "covered person". Otherwise, someone could sue a member with the deepest pockets in a syndicate rather than going after everyone individually. It also covers an owner as opposed to horses which is very useful as if you own ten horses it covers all ten assuming they are all registered in your name.

Stratford is the least helpful course I have been to. They would not budge from their standard owners allocation. Aintree and Uttoxeter on the other hand could not have done more for us. I had a carvery and a third floor balcony at Aintree which was a million times nicer than when I went there for the National, which is an experience I never want to repeat!!!! Uttoxeter laid on Champagne and a box for us when we won...

Stratford is the least helpful course I have been to. They would not budge from their standard owners allocation. Aintree and Uttoxeter on the other hand could not have done more for us. I had a carvery and a third floor balcony at Aintree which was a million times nicer than when I went there for the National, which is an experience I never want to repeat!!!! Uttoxeter laid on Champagne and a box for us when we won...
Becher Chase day is the one you want to go to at Aintree Aragorn - unrestricted viewing from the top of the grandstand for £20, best view in racing IMO

Martin

That was the view we had and it was great to watch the racing from there. It's a bit like Ascot, if you pay extra for the better tickets it makes a big difference in terms of viewing.

Horse Racing Ireland today confirmed an investigation is underway into the non-payment of winning bets by one on-course bookmaker at Listowel’s meeting last Saturday and a review of procedures may also take place.On-course bookmaker Ger ‘Dixie’ Dalton, who didn’t price-up the final race having reportedly run out of money, left unpaid and disgruntled punters to form a lengthy queue outside the HRI Levy Office (responsible for such matters).
The tens of unfortunate punters are thought to be owed thousands of euros by the bookmaker.
Speaking on Tuesday, HRI’s Betting Division Manager Paul Finegan stated “I can confirm that Ger Dalton is under investigation regarding unpaid bets at Listowel on September 18.”
“We have to go through due-process before commenting further and all HRI’s Betting Division can do is sanction that the Bookmakers’ Committee either suspend or revoke a bookmaker’s license.”
He added “HRI currently hold a small deposit (€3,200) which covers Levy and pitch fees but there is nothing to cover punters’ losses – it is difficult to put a figure on how much does a bookmaker need to have to cover such an eventuality but that situation will now come under review.
“This is the first instance of this in at least 20 years and the next step will be to get in touch with the bookmaker and try to get to the bottom of this and see if we can secure payment for punters. However, it is still up in the air whether or not punters will get paid.”
At one point in his final betting race on Saturday, Dalton went 13/8, when 11/8 was generally best price in the ring, about eventual winner Laughing Boy.

He has previous and therefore had no credit with the rest of the ring. In his defence the results were horrific and its hardly a shock someone went to the wall.

I was warned about him a few years ago-absolutely refuse to bet with him.At Tramore the results were punter friendly for 4 days-I know at lease one bookie ran out of cash but I was surprised there weren't any casualties in the ring.

I'd imagine a few bookmakers run out every now and again and swap money back and forth. I've no doubt when the ring saw him go 13/8 and fill the bag they knew what was going on. He is probably potless and might not be seen in the ring again.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know who is really behind a book on any given day.I heard of one name who was wiped out on a certain day but had an impressive tank the next day.

HRI Launch Go Racing Kids Club Schools Initiative

Horse Racing Ireland launched a new Schools/Racing Education initiative yesterday at Navan Racecourse (Tuesday 21st September). More than 200 children from St.Paul’s School came for the school tour and the children have been invited back with their parents and teachers for racing in Navan this Saturday 25th September.

This was the first of 6 Schools days planned for 2010, the other 5 dates are:
Wednesday 28th September – Dundalk (racing on 3rd Oct)
Tuesday 5th October – Limerick (racing on 10th Oct – Munster National day)
Tuesday 12th October – Naas (racing on 17th Oct – Birdcatcher day)
Tuesday 19th October – Cork (racing on 31st Oct – Cork National day)
Tuesday 16th November – Gowran Park (racing on 20th Nov)

Tamso Doyle, PR Manager for Horse Racing Ireland said: - "Horse racing is a sport in which Ireland can justifiably claim to be a world leader and the success stories of Irish Trainers, Jockeys and Horses is a source of pride around the country. Horse racing also plays a huge part in the Irish economy and the aim of the day is to educate the younger generation regarding horse racing and show them what happens behind the scenes at the races. We also hope that this initiative will lead to greater integration between racecourses and their local community, encouraging an affinity with racing and producing the racegoers of the future."

As part of the tour there are 4 stations including:
1. A Trainer – brings a racehorse and describes how to train a racehorse, how their yard gets ready for a big race day, what a horse eats, how much exercise it must get, demonstrates how to saddle up, etc.
2. A Jockey - brings the pupils into the inner sanctum, the weigh room, where they get to see and feel all the jockeys gear from a saddle to the racing silks, their safety equipment including skull cap, back protector, goggles, etc. The Jockey will give a general talk about horse racing to the children, how he rides in a race and take any questions they may have.
3. RACE - the Racing Academy & Centre of Education talk through how to become a jockey, get a job in the industry, they bring a young apprentices to demonstrate their simulator on the day (some lucky students will also be able to sit on the simulator and feel what its like to ride a racehorse).
4: Racecourse Manager – brings the children through the preparation for a race day and on a tour of the Racecourse, including walking some of the track and seeing a fence/starting stalls up close and how the fences are made.

Barry Geraghty & Pat Martin were the Jockey & Trainer in Navan yesterday The racing education day takes 3 hours and is available from 4th to 6th class students. HRI will be developing a ‘Go Racing Kids Club’ mascot and an autograph book.

It looks like HRI can forget about stage 3 of their school visits to racecourses.

From the Leinster Leader:

Trainee jockey course cancelled in Kildare

Published Date: 17 September 2010

By Laura Coates

FAS has pulled the plug on this year's trainee jockey course at RACE in Kildare town.
The start of the 2010-2011 course had already been delayed due to a review by the State Training Agency.

According to RACE (Racing Academy and Centre of Education) director Keith Rowe, FAS senior management have had a rethink on the delivery structure of the course.

Young students had already been selected to start their training as jockeys this autumn. RACE has committed to reviewing the future structure of the training course with FAS and other stakeholders including Horse Racing Irealnd.

"However, this process is likely to take a period of months and we must reluctantly accept that this year's course will not now proceed. All the participants and their families have been contacted and arrangements are being made in most cases for them to return to school," said Mr Rowe.

"It is hoped that many of the selected participants will be able to re-apply in the future should the course be offered again next year."

I was not going to bring it up Grey! Rumours of an incident in a shower room are rife on the Betfair forum.

Was the incident in the showers anything to do with being encouraged to 'see and feel all the jockeys' gear'? Dearie me, let's hope racing's not trying to, er, fill the hole vacated by the holy fathers...

I think we should be pretty careful (and indeed fair) to give any amount of credence to what has been said on the Betfair forum. I have heard nothing but positive things from any of my dealings with RACE or anyone elses.

I think we should be pretty careful (and indeed fair) to give any amount of credence to what has been said on the Betfair forum. I have heard nothing but positive things from any of my dealings with RACE or anyone elses.

It was you that brought it to the thread!!!!

Gal's right, lets not descend into the gutter until we know what the official story is.

I think the Go Racing Kids Club is a great idea and it should also be done in secondary school and students (18+) should be free at all racemeetings. The biggest problem I found when I was in college was getting the racing authorities to give us 50p off an entrance of £3.50. I argued and argued with them that it should be £1 for our racing club and not £3.50 but they just didn't get it.

FRIENDS of on-the-run bookie Ger 'Dixie' Dalton have been making attempts to contact him at his address in Firies outside Killarney, Co Kerry.
There have been no sightings of him in Co Kerry or in his native Co Tipperary since he left Listowel racecourse on Saturday owing thousands of euro in unpaid bets.
Mr Dalton is originally from Carrick-on-Suir, where his parents still live. One local described the family as "decent and respectable" people.
He got married in Killarney last May to woman believed to be from Croatia, and the couple held their reception in the Randall's Court Hotel.
A spokesman for Horse Racing Ireland (HRI) has admitted he did not know if Mr Dalton was still in the country.
HRI betting division manager Paul Finegan said he had been unable to contact Mr Dalton since he admitted to HRI officials on Saturday that he didn't have enough money to pay winning punters.
The racing authority confirmed an investigation was underway into the non-payment of winning bets by Mr Dalton following last Saturday's race meeting.

"We're pretty anxious to talk to him and I have written to him telling him that he must contact us immediately," he said.

Back