Novice Chasers 2009/10

He jumped well Krizon but I did not think he won with as much in hand as he should have, in the context of what he is going to take on later in the season. There were moments a few fences out that I was not sure how well he was travelling. Like I said already, the ground was pretty terrible.

Yes, I see what you're saying, Gal, but I've no idea how much 'in hand' you thought he'd accomplish in that bog? If you expected him to scoot away clear by 10l or something like that, then wait 'til he's chasing again on Good or even GS. I think you'll find the fellow will show you a sharper showing than today. But given that a debutant might've been put off by the messy ground and approached his fences in a hesitant way, I thought MM looked unfazed by the inconvenience and very willing and confident. Well, I'm a fan, anyway!

King Edward put in a terrific round of jumping this afternoon at Plumpton easily accounting for Franchoek,El Dancer,Mahonia,Numide and Shoreacres.

Your first pony could've accounted for FRANCHOEK! Desperately dismal affair there, just not at the races at all. Got to say, while the going was given as Soggy, Boggy in places, it was very much true of the whole run along the bottom bend before going up into the straight. Truly, truly, squelchy goo. I did a bit of desultory divoting with my new boots, which have tractor-tyre like soles, and boy, did that mud cling on. It was seriously holding stuff. There weren't any divots to send flying because the hooves just went right in, fetlock deep in places. Don't know if that's what did for all the disappointments today, but it was really quite acute how many 'died' after the last fence on the downhill and couldn't resurrect their runs up the climbing straight.

Can't tell you how sorry for himself Kempes looked after he fell in France in May - he just stood there next to the hurdle until his jockey led him away. Thought he might have injured a leg tbh, trust Mullins yard has got him back fit and well but wouldn't be overly keen on taking odds-on against a decent horse like Caim Hill.

Thought he jumped well enough on ground he would not have enjoyed. Rocco's Hall is the type to land a fair race when he goes handicapping too.

Looked to be very deep and holding, especially round the bottom bend. I'm hoping that the horses who are running in both Ireland and the UK at the moment aren't going to be too disappointed by having to slog through this mush. It's notable how bonny most of them are setting out, and how desperately weary and stiff they are finishing (if they do). Final jumps are dismal affairs with the horses barely able to lift themselves over them.

Knight Frank Novice Steeplechase -

1 Alpha Ridge
2 Aranleigh
3 Baily View
4 Beau Michael
5 Catch Me (GER)
6 China Rock
7 Coolpotts
8 Inistioge
9 Lenabane
10 Lucky Wish
11 Mighty Massini
12 Orpheus Valley
13 Oscar Looby
14 Pandorama
15 Telenor (GB)
16 The Grey Friend
17 Weapon's Amnesty
18 Whatuthink

Long Run could be a freak if he learns to jump British fences correctly - looks to have a monster of an engine. Really really impressive.

Let the debate begin...would Captain Cee Bee have won?

I thought Sizing Europe found plenty off the bridle after the last - though he did not jump well down the back.

Sizing Europe drifts slightly after winning at Leopardstown. It looked a good race to me and obviously Captain Cee Bee may have won but for falling at the last - but if you're an SE man then covering on the latter for the Arkle seems the way to go.

Watching it again and Sizing Europe does really run well to the line and wins with plenty in hand. Disappointing for Captain Cee Bee though.

The only worry was the mistake he made down the back straight, he wont get away with those at Cheltenham. That would have done him the world of good though, a nice run against high class opposition. He has some engine and a clear round sees him win the Arkle easy for me.

Back