Novice Chasers 2009/10

Tataniano has alot to prove in my opinion. He has had easy leads in small runner fields, much like Tatenen last year who go found out big time jumping and ability wise when taking on some decent opposition.

I agree he has a lot to prove (as have they all). He's the right sort to do well at Cheltenham though.

What has Sizing Europe proven that Tataniano has not?

At least one has proven he acts round Cheltenham in terms of the Arkle.

An easy lead in a small field tells me nothing about how Tataniano will handle conditions in the Arkle.

I never said Sizing Europe had "proven" more than Tataniano (though his hurdles form has shown a higher level of ability than anything Tataniano has) - SE has question marks to answer too.

Tatenen?

I'm not a huge fan of either, tbh. I think the Henry VIII could provide the Arkle winner.

Sizing Europe had the form to make him a Champion Hurdler. What was the last hurdler over 2m as good as him to go chasing? Moscow Flyer? Providing his problems are behind him, and his form and the record of his yard in general this winter suggests that is the case, then I won't be looking any further than him for the Arkle winner.

I can't argue with any of the facts you've just posted, but something about him fails to convince me.

Captain Cee Bee looks rather overpriced at 20s. Sure to appreciate much better ground, won on his first run in over a year and a half and won the Supreme giving Binocular 8 pounds.

Sizing Europe had the form to make him a Champion Hurdler. What was the last hurdler over 2m as good as him to go chasing? Moscow Flyer? Providing his problems are behind him, and his form and the record of his yard in general this winter suggests that is the case, then I won't be looking any further than him for the Arkle winner.

Osana would have been just about as good, I reckon DJ. Crack Away Jack not much further behind either. I don't think the Arkle picture is at all clear-cut myself.

I can't argue with any of the facts you've just posted, but something about him fails to convince me.

That something is surely the fact that he has went from travelling strongly on the bit to being beaten in a matter of strides in every race - without exception - since the 2008 Champion.

Until he proves that he can find off the bridle (something that he hasn't been required to do in any of his races over fences thusfar) I couldn't be having him. I'm convinced he wasn't the same horse as the one that won the 2008 Irish Champion at any stage last year ~ until he proves he can re-capture that level of form I'll be giving him the swerve.

Last edited:
That's mostly it, yes. Very rare for horses to come back to win what looks like being a top class Arkle after running quite a few races like he has.

This is indeed an excellent point the severity of the fences actually helps some horses to concentrate (Tidal Bay is a prime example), those that are clever enough to look after themselves. Not all though.

Tidal was hardly brilliant in the ryanair last year all the same given what happened today i think that arkle may have been a fluke(dare i say it!!)

Tatenen fell so early in the Arkle we can't really judge him; he was the best horse leading up to the race and was unlucky but certainly can’t say he was beaten by anyone but himself. Easy lead you say? It only looks easy when the challengers haven’t got the tactical pace to keep a breast with Tataniano, it is important the horse gets a good feel of the track enjoying his run by letting him bowl along and jump the fences with confidence something he’ll have to do in the Arkle anyway – holding him up wouldn’t of done him any good.

Cousin Vinny clashes with Roberto Goldback at Navan on Sunday - Ruby Walsh rides Cousin Vinny for the first time.

Tidal was hardly brilliant in the ryanair last year all the same given what happened today i think that arkle may have been a fluke(dare i say it!!)

Tidal Bay has a great engine but is a pig of a jumper. The Arkle was no fluke, but he nevertheless got away with it. You wouldn't normally want to back this horse if your life depended on it. Nevertheless Euro's point is a good one, that Cheltenham can help to focus the attention of some horses and enable them to get round despite temselves.

Tatenen fell so early in the Arkle we can't really judge him; he was the best horse leading up to the race and was unlucky but certainly can’t say he was beaten by anyone but himself. Easy lead you say? It only looks easy when the challengers haven’t got the tactical pace to keep a breast with Tataniano, it is important the horse gets a good feel of the track enjoying his run by letting him bowl along and jump the fences with confidence something he’ll have to do in the Arkle anyway – holding him up wouldn’t of done him any good.

I agree we certainly shouldn't judge him on the Arkle. He is usually a pretty sound jumper. However, he was a disappointing favourite last time out when made a couple of mistakes after jumping well and was soon beaten.

Pleasing debut from Cousin Vinny at Navan - looked to have it won until tiring. Needs to be a little quicker away from his fences though. Roberto Goldback looks a smart prospect over 3 miles plus himself.

Just realised that Mighty Man makings his chasing debut today! I thought he was going back to the Stayers Hurdle???

Didn't think he jumped that well tbh Gal - he stretched for the last two fences and can't see him being able to get away with that at Cheltenham.

Heavy ground and his first run back against a smart rival with Christmas just around the corner - I thought it was more than satisfactory.

Just realised that Mighty Man makings his chasing debut today! I thought he was going back to the Stayers Hurdle???

I missed the race but it sounds as though it was a pleasing performance.

It seems he will have another race over fences before they make any definite plans but the Liverpool Hurdle seems to be the main target again this season.

I saw it, and to be honest I was not overly impressed but the ground was horrible. They should stick to hurdling.

I can't see how you could be unimpressed, Gal - horse set himself a true line throughout, in spite of being repeatedly molested by the runner-up, who seemed intent on trying to ride him off. He didn't jump big because the ground was very holding, by the look of it, hence getting in a weeny bit tight, but he didn't make a single blunder. He looked intelligent and as if thoroughly enjoying the blow. Connections said while they're very happy with what he did today, they will never put him over that ground again, and he will be back hurdling anyway. But as a debut chase in shoite ground, I think you'd be impressed all right if that was your boy. I know I'd be, and from the presenter's remarks, the crowd was, too.

Back