Novice Chasers 2009/10

Exclusive for Facebook Fans! Schooled Mikael D'Haguenet yesterday with Ruby and he jumped very well, very happy with his progress. It's been a busy few days now with all the journalists callling looking to do interviews and pictures pre-Cheltenham. Sky were down doing a feature with Paul Townend and Cooldine and Tony O...'Hehir did an exclusive Racing Post feature.

Mikael D'Haguenet could take up an engagement at either Navan on Saturday or Leopardstown on Sunday but no decision has been taken yet.

The star novice hurdler is set to embark on a career over fences and according to his trainer Willie Mullins at Thurles today "he jumped well and worked fine" after racing at Fairyhouse yesterday.

The French-bred is in the Trim Beginners Chase at Navan on Saturday and the Irish Stallion Farms EBF Novice Chase at Leopardstown the following day.
A brilliant winner of the Ballymore Novices' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival last year, Mikael D'Haguenet faces a race against time to make the big meeting this year. He has entries in the Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase and the RSA Chase.

I have been backing Sizing Europe at 11/1 for the last week-as a grade 1 winner unbeaten over fences I would make him clear favourite.
An CAthaoir Mor is interesting tomorrow-hopefully I will hear something in the morning but I have a fairly strong opinion on the race anyway.

Yes 11/1.One of the bigger independents over here -Celtic-have a special offer-do a tenner ante post bet for cheltenham get one free-stake not refunded on freebie-one free bet per day.I have been taking advantage every day and a friend has been helping me.

I think An Cathair mor is very opposable. i think Jessica Harrington's horse may be worth a little flutter each way.

The trainer said you would know he had a race the last day-he also needs a strong pace to run at.I was moving towards a mega lay at odds on last Sunday but I wouldn't be laying him at 2/1.

Guessing Cheltenham is certainly off the agenda now - really needed to get a run into him this weekend.

MIKAEL D'HAGUENET will be on trainer Willie Mullins' team of post-racing schoolers and gallopers at Leopardstown on Sunday.
A triple Grade 1 winner as a novice hurdler last season, Mikael D'Haguenet, who is entered for the Irish Independent Arkle Trophy and the RSA Chase at Cheltenham next month, has not run over fences having met with two setbacks this season. He was entered for Navan on Saturday and Leopardstown on Sunday but misses both races.
Speaking on Friday morning Mullins said: "Mikael D'Haguenet schooled on Wednesday and jumped very well. We toyed with the idea of running him this weekend but decided against it and the intention is to school him again after racing at Leopardstown on Sunday.
"He came out of Wednesday's session well, but there are no plans for him yet and we will see how he gets on at Leopardstown before looking further ahead."

I think they would be mad to go back hurdling with him, get a novice chase, Powers Gold Cup and Punchestown into him and you have your Gold Cup campaign to look forward to next year.

It would be mad to go for a beginner's chase at this stage. Throw him into the biggies and if can't win he's a novice next year and picked up very valuable experience. If he pulls one off happy days.

Yes, but while luck seems against him with the likes of Hurricane Fly, I'm not sure what's stopping him running MdH at the weekend, and then at Cheltenham in one of the novice chases? Not ideal, but if he's determined to not go back hurdling, worth a go.

It would be mad to go for a beginner's chase at this stage. Throw him into the biggies and if can't win he's a novice next year and picked up very valuable experience. If he pulls one off happy days.

Why would it be mad to get a prep run into him before the Powers Gold Cup?

I don't think Melendez was referring to the Powers Gold Cup as one of the biggies (I could well be wrong).

Why win your €6k and potentially severely limit your options for the following season. Even if they decided to have a crack at the Gold Cup as a novice the following season it would offer a huge amount of flexibility in case of postponement setbacks etc.

Surely Mullins can arrange a racecourse gallop that would nearly do the same job as a prep.

Have I got my rules wrong?

Last edited:
Why win your €6k and potentially severely limit your options for the following season. Even if they decided to have a crack at the Gold Cup as a novice the following season it would offer a huge amount of flexibility in case of postponement setbacks etc.

Surely Mullins can arrange a racecourse gallop that would nearly do the same job as a prep.

Have I got my rules wrong?

I know what you mean, but if they managed to get 2-3 jumping starts into him before the season is out (win or lose) I would be disappointed if they did no go straight into the all age races particularly as by the sounds of things he is an exceptional jumper.

Have laid Jagoes Mill at 6-4.Fancyy chances of trading a profit in a race where a few of the runners could go short in running.

Back