Novice Chasers 2009/10

Pigs themselves don't smell. They defecate in a particular area, and lie in another area; they keep themselves clean [albeit covered in mud]. As a good Northern Irish country boy should know, Delargy.

I think he's got plenty of form that suggests he's as effective at two and a half miles as two miles, including his third to Elusive Dream in his juvenile season.

That was his worst run of his juvenile season by some way . The fact he was not good enough to beat Celestial Halo seems to have led them to believe he needed a longer trip . I just think he is a good but not top 2 miler.

I don't have access to RPR's but it was the race in which he was awarded his highest Timeform Rating of the season in.

Won very well in the end - hugely impressed with the performance and his jumping (bar the mistake two out). Will be better on better ground too.

Won very well in the end - hugely impressed with the performance and his jumping (bar the mistake two out). Will be better on better ground too.

I'm not convinced he'll go on better ground myself, Martin - looks well suited to soft/heavy (as is the runner-up).

Something that was put to me recently with regards to Irish novices success at Cheltenham - Kicking King, War of Attrition, Cooldine, the Bumper brigade etc. was that they're more hardy, they're used to running on bottomless ground so when they turn up at Cheltenham on a good surface it's easier for them to gallop on.

Bunkum or is there an element of truth to it?

Bunkum or is there an element of truth to it?

Bunkum, I would say.

You can just as easily argue, and people have, that Irish horses are disadvantaged when they get onto a better surface because they're not used to going over obstacles at the faster pace.

I'd fancy Bergo of the two - just don't think that Franchoek's heart is in it anymore.

people seem to forget that Bergo was a Group-Horse over here in Germany, and a good progressing one as well, even a the age of 4. he had his issues as a foal / yearling and was just coming into his own when he was sold to england which we rated as a huge shame at the time. given the problems he had since he came to england there is a lot more to come (I hope, as we co-bred him and still breed with his sister who is in foal to Bergo´s sire Silvano. )

Bensalem running over an inadequate 2m 3f today. I wouldn't be taking an odds-on price about him. Anyone know anything about the Nicholls horse? The trip would appear to suit it more than 'the value' for the RSA.

I wasn't at all impressed with Bensalem at Plumpton - but for a couple of crucial mistakes late on I think Chariot Charger would have won.

I don't reckon Bensalem was at anything like concert pitch at Plumpton, Martin - hopefully we'll see the real deal today.

Fair points - he'd be one of the few King horses to win first time out but given the bonus on offer (I can't see any other reason to run at Plumpton FTO over fences) you'd think he'd be near 100% at least.

Should know a bit more after today anyway. I'd expect him to come on an awful lot for that 1st run and hopefully he impresses today. Just not a betting proposition at the price.

So did everyone else Steve - didn't see much of it tbh Steve but he was beaten 4 or 5 lengths. The usual mist and fog at Exeter playing havoc with the TV coverage.

Back